throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Former FSU Football Star Greg Reid Back Behind Bars

bruce4life is offline Registered User
    He will not be cut over this I feel. Pretty silly situstion.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Former FSU Football Star Greg Reid Back Behind Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce4life View Post
    He will not be cut over this I feel. Pretty silly situation.
    No, most likely he will not be cut. But the real silliness I see is on his part, Greg Reid, the culprit. He's young, but an adult nevertheless.

What is it with some of these youngsters!?! Broken family / wrong upbringing, crass immaturity? Haven't they learned, haven't they heard enough of who-knows-how-many other cases just like theirs that have dinged the résumés, and often tarnished the name, of who-knows-how-many other professional players?

Apparently not.

...While it appears that Reid's issues aren't completely behind him, the Rams tell ESPN.com that his arrest won't have any effect on his status.

Source:
    CBS Sports, by Ryan Wilson
    Apr. 1, 2014, 5:21 p.m. ET
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-02-2014 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Tyop

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

What was he thinking--SERIOUSLY. Its not a secret he was signed with the Rams--did he honestly think the police wouldn't figure out WHERE to pick him up at? You think he would have made some effort to come to terms with his PO and the courts.

However considering this country's changing attitudes toward marijuana, its not in itself a problem...nor is driving without a license. However what else is there? I know the courts can issue a warrant for failure to pay a speeding ticket--that's pretty much a given throughout the country. If its just those items to deal with, its maybe 30 days in jail with time served. It just matters if the marijuana was a felony and if there where other "factors' like weapons involved.

So in theory he could be out before OTAs and maybe still part of the team. So without all the particulars known at this time, who knows. Its easy to run a background check--anyone can do that if you have some information about a person since its a matter of public record

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

Guy really blew his chance at a good career! What was he really thinking?
    Merry Christmas!

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I know we're supposed to keep politics, etc, out of the conversation & I'm not condoning a mistake as dumb as failing to meet the terms of probation, but I was the passenger in a car stopped for relatively trivial stuff like a seatbelt violation on more than one occasion when I was in my 20s & NEVER was asked for ID. Then again, I am white, and I was never stopped in Georgia.

This scenario just screams racial profiling in the still of the night.
    Could be. However, I'm 23 and white and have been asked for my ID as a passenger plenty of times.

They're usually just checking for warrants.
    Haste likes this.

MACD is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    What was he thinking--SERIOUSLY. Its not a secret he was signed with the Rams--did he honestly think the police wouldn't figure out WHERE to pick him up at? You think he would have made some effort to come to terms with his PO and the courts.

However considering this country's changing attitudes toward marijuana, its not in itself a problem...nor is driving without a license. However what else is there? I know the courts can issue a warrant for failure to pay a speeding ticket--that's pretty much a given throughout the country. If its just those items to deal with, its maybe 30 days in jail with time served. It just matters if the marijuana was a felony and if there where other "factors' like weapons involved.

So in theory he could be out before OTAs and maybe still part of the team. So without all the particulars known at this time, who knows. Its easy to run a background check--anyone can do that if you have some information about a person since its a matter of public record
    Sounds like the best thing that could happen to him is to be incarcerated until OTA's so he's away from his Valdosta buddies.

Mikey is offline Registered User

I'll look for the source but it appears this was something the Rams knew about that he missed a phone call check in with his parole officer. They aren't worried about it and won't release him because of this so I'm not overly worried about it either.

It's from a Jim Thomas article:
    Recent Rams signee arrested for probation violation : Sports

According to Lt. Aaron Kirk of the Valdosta (Ga.) Police Department, which made the arrest, violating the probation was either a result of missing a meeting with the probation officer or not paying fines from the original marijuana charge.

Reid had a balance of less than $400 in fines remaining to be paid, and his probation was set to expire at the end of March. But Kirk said the warrant for probation violation was issued in October, “so it’s not like this was a manhunt or anything.”

The Rams declined official comment Tuesday, but the team was aware that Reid had some issues to clean up legally before the team’s offseason conditioning program begins April 21. To their knowledge, it was a scheduled phone call from the probation officer that Reid missed that led to the probation violation.

The Rams do not view the latest incident as worthy of releasing Reid. But it’s clear, Reid will be on a short leash once he reports for offseason work, and that would’ve been the case even without Saturday’s arrest.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Perhaps this incident will prove to be a blessing in disguise for Greg. He has worked very hard to rehab his knee, to the extent an NFL team was willing to take a flier on him. All those long hours of working out/conditioning could have been, and could yet be erased with just one stupid decision. Being arrested and thrown in jail just a few days after being signed by the Rams should have been a huge wake up call for Reid. I wonder if he’ll ride with his “buddies” in the future if they aren’t wearing a seat belt?

Hopefully young Greg will realize every decision he makes as to who he hangs out, with and the activities he engages in off the field will come under intense scrutiny as an NFL player.
    Haste likes this.

GroundChuck is offline Registered User

Does this guy have an agent? If so, said agent is not doing a very good job.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User
    Unfortunate for this guy, I hope they're not too hard or don't try and make an example out of him.

Moderators Note: Removing political/racial elements of post that violate board rules.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-08-2014 at 11:23 AM.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Greg Reid Released From Lowndes County Jail (WCTV)

After his court appearance, Greg Reid walked out of the Lowndes County Jail Monday with family members by his side.
    Court records show Reid is still on probation.

Reid, a former Lowndes High School and FSU football player, was arrested March 29, 2014. He was in a car that was stopped by Valdosta Police for a seat belt violation. When authorities ran Reid's information, they found a warrant issued for his arrest for not reporting to his probation officer since October 17, 2013.

Eyewitness News has reached out to Reid, his attorney, and family members. All declined to comment on the matter.

This isn't Reid's first off the field problem. During his tumultuous time at FSU, the All-American was arrested for possession of marijuana among other charges. He was put on probation and later kicked off the team.

He has since signed with the St. Louis Rams football team. While it is unclear if this latest incident will hinder his status on the team, we do know Reid will have to report to his probation officer in Lowndes County in three weeks.

Eyewitness News also reached out to the probation office, Sentinel Offender Services. A spokesperson declined to comment.

If the Rams choose to give Greg a mulligan on this, one can only hope the young man will not squander the opportunity. Although Reid is diminutive in stature, he blessed with speed and talent. Surely he must realize that he cannot make dumb decisions in the future. C’mon Greg, don’t waste the chance of a lifetime.
    Last edited by MauiRam; -04-08-2014 at 12:48 PM.

demiurge is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Could be. However, I'm 23 and white and have been asked for my ID as a passenger plenty of times.

They're usually just checking for warrants.
    Sure.

It's the 'stopped for seat belt violation' that raises my eyebrow. That's really unusual where I live.

The 'not checking in with your parole officer' part is just immaturity. Hopefully he learns from this, whether he's on the Rams or not.
    Last edited by HUbison; -04-09-2014 at 10:06 AM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Fair warning to all:

We are not making this thread about race.

Keep it to Greg Reid and the Rams, not a skin color.

Thank you.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RebelYell is offline Registered User

My initial thought was that he's an idiot for this issue. I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe there was simply a communications mix-up or he honestly thought he'd met his requirements. Need more information.

I had a warrant outstanding for not paying a traffic ticket. Didn't know about it until about 12 years after the fact and the warrant was only outstanding for 3 days.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    My initial thought was that he's an idiot for this issue. I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe there was simply a communications mix-up or he honestly thought he'd met his requirements. Need more information.

I had a warrant outstanding for not paying a traffic ticket. Didn't know about it until about 12 years after the fact and the warrant was only outstanding for 3 days.
    sure, there might have been a mixup. But a warrant issued for probation violation is much different than one issued for traffic violation. When you're put on probation, you are under the direct supervision of the court and by the terms of your sentence, are ordered by the court to follow a set of rules... one of which is to maintain regular communication with your officer.

I have a high tendency to doubt it was some sort of honest mistake. Especially since probation officers call you when you've missed your checkin. More likely it was laziness.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast