Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Vicki Meador-Baldwin is offline Registered User

Former L.A.Ram, Eddie Meador, a Nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame

I am the daughter of former L.A.Ram, Eddie Meador, who played 12 seasons with the Rams as a Defensive Back from 1959-1970.

My brothers and I have begun a campaign to hopefully get our dad inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame, Senior Class of 2010. He is already on the official list of nominees.

We had a website created for Dad. PLEASE visit Welcome. You will be able to read his Bio/Stats/Fun Facts & see many photos. Through this website, a person can also send in their letter of recommendation to the HOF and/or voting committee members. The Senior Selection Committee will begin reviewing the list of nominees in June & make their final decision in August.

Please help spread the word about our campaign and Dad's website. We would GREATLY appreciate your support!

Sincerely,
    Vicki Meador-Baldwin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Former L.A.Ram, Eddie Meador, a Nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame-eddie-meador2.jpg  

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Former L.A.Ram, Eddie Meador, a Nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame

Dear Ms. Vicki,

What a true H O N O R to find this thread!

I personally feel so very privileged to have such a close 'encounter' with your dad Eddie Meador, the great Rams safety from the era when I first began to "feel the love" towards the NFL and in particular, towards the L.A. Rams of 1965. Believe me, I can still see Meador in the secondary, or blitzing, or as ball holder for field gold attempts; but especially, making some of his Ramtastic (46) INTs!

Wow. Your post almost gives me the sensation of getting Eddie Meador's autograph!

I will most certainly nominate this remarkable Ram to the HOF. It is easy to remember how enormously effective Safety No. 21 was as part of our Rams defense of then. Meador was a key element in helping the famous Fearsome Foursome become one of the best DL of all time.

A real ball hawk that he was, still holding several Rams records. His accomplishments were extraordinary and indeed merit being a member of the HOF ... as aptly recommended by Merlin Olsen himself as well as by Tommy McDonald.

"There is no way to describe Eddie Meador in one word. Meador is the best free safety in pro football. You can't replace an Eddie Meador" -- Rams Head Coach George Allen

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your excellent web site: edmeador21.com.

Welcome to the Clan! Rest assured most of us here will support your campaign pro Eddie Meador. I say "most of us" for the simple reason that many here in ClanRam are much too young to know of him, but we will try to assist them in learning just how GOOD a Rams he was during his entire career with this same team.

PS: Please visit the Picture / Albums section here in ClanRam. I just placed a fine photo of your dad.
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-12-2009 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Tyop

To emphasize / underscore from other sources some of the outstanding info found in edmeador21.com:

Eddie Meador / Los Angeles Rams 1959-70

Honors:
    a) Rams defensive rookie of the year (1959)
    b) 3x First-team All-Pro (1967, 1968, and 1969)
    c) 3x Second-team All-Pro (1960, 1963, and 1965)
    d) 7x All-Western Conference (1961, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969)
    e) Voted to NFL's All-Decade Team of the 60s. Nominated President of the NFL Players Association (1969-70)*

Records, Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams:
    a) Most interceptions, career (46)
    b) Most opponent fumbles recovered, career (18)
    c) Most blocked kicks, career (10)
    d) Most opponent fumbles recovered, season, 5 (tied)
    e) Most blocked kicks, season (4)

*. - In January 1970, the two associations [NFL & AFL] met for the first time, and the inevitable clash between the leadership of the two groups occurred. The NFL players pushed Ed Meador of the Los Angeles Rams as president of the combined group, and the AFL players pushed for Jack Kemp, then-president of the AFLPA.

Source: NFL Players Association / History / The 1970's - AFL & NFL Players Associations Merge

NOTES:
    1. NFL seasons in Meador's career consisted of 10 regular games from 1959-60, and 14 from 1961-70. How's that for efficiency! He played a total of 163 games, always a disciplined individual. He became a well respected (quiet) leader as an experienced NFL player.
    2. Some of the correct stats data does not match certain sources such as Sporting News, Wikipedia, etc. IMO this does not deminish any of the confirmed stats that make a great EM a HOF candidate.
    3. Meador also returned punts and kickoffs with the Rams in the mid-late 60s.
    4. Pic below incorrectly calls Meador 'Rams Halfback', ca. 1962.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Former L.A.Ram, Eddie Meador, a Nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame-eddie-meador2.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-10-2009 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Picture

This is what a Rams DB did in 1969 to win. It's how Eddie Meador rammed the Eagles down, in Philly!

November 16, 1969. Ed Meador's Day.

The Rams were 8-0 when they met the Eagles in their Philly nest. It was the first time the Rams would play on Astroturf. It wouldn't be easy.

1st Qtr. The Rams offense had to punt on their first possession. But the Ram defense led by Deacon Jones, forced the Eagles to punt. However, the Eagles also held and forced the Rams to a FG attempt ... no good.

On the Eagles next drive they get into FG range and make it. The quarter ends with the Eagles ahead 3-0.

2nd Qtr. Rams go 3 and out. Eagles QB Sam Snead hits receiver Harold Jackson for a 45 yard TD making the score 10-0. An upset begins to lurk. For the rest of the half the Rams would have to punt or miss 3 FG's –an off-day for a fine Bruce Gossett placekicker? It wasn't the shoes so it had to be the turf.

First half ends with the Eagles ahead 10-0.

3rd Qtr. Rams come out throwing. Jack Snow and Wendell Tucker work the ends and the Rams go all the way to the Eagles 14 yard line. On 4th and 2, the Rams setup for a FG, BUT, holder Eddie Meador picks the ball up and runs it for a first down! Eddie did this on his own, he saw the right opportunity and made it happen.

Two plays later, Gabriel hit TE Billy Truax for a TD, making the score 10-7, Eagles.

Rams on defense. Eddie Meador forces a fumble and the Rams have the ball on the Eagles 30. Gabe runs it to the 12 yard line, but the Eagles dig in their heels. Still, Gossett comes in to tie it up 10-10.

Again the Rams are on defense and Eddie Meador picks off the Eagles QB and runs it back for a TD. The score is now 17-10, Rams. Within 6 minutes of the 3rd quarter, Meador provides a top notch service to the Rams offense worth 17 points.

Philadelphia fumbles the ensuing kick-off return setting up another Gossett FG. Rams 20, Eagles 10.

Rams CB Clancy Williams then picks off a Snead pass; Gossett trots onto the field for one final three pointer score. Rams 23, Eagles 10.

Philly breathes new life as their last punt touches a Ram and they recover the ball on the Rams 28 yard line. And the Big Birds score a TD! Scoreboard changes yet again: 23-17, Rams on top. 4th Qtr. is hot action.

Mercy! With 30 seconds left on the clock the Eagles had the ball on the Rams 27 yard line. Time is running out and Eagles QB Snead almost hits wideout Ben Hawkins for a game-winning TD. Incomplete pass.

Rams go on to win and remain undefeated at 9-0. Without Meador, their great safety the Rams would have tasted defeat for the first time that year. They won 11 straight games in 1969, but that day...it was Meador's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Former L.A.Ram, Eddie Meador, a Nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame-eddie-meador3.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-12-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Photo

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Wow, just reading that last one Jorge I was pulling and tugging like I was there. Thank you Mrs. Meador-Baldwin for providing that information. Will be happy to support Eddie Meador in anyway possible.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Roger Wehrli just got in. I'd say Meador is on par with Wehrli.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Vicki Meador-Baldwin is offline Registered User

Thank you for the WONDERFUL threads!! So Glad you like the website! We are proud of it!

This whole experience of campaigning for Dad has been awesome! When my brother & I asked Dad in the fall if we could start a campaign for him, he was VERY moved. He has been TOTALLY honored we would do this for him & by the family/friends/FANS support. He honestly feels grateful for those who haven't forgotten him. He TRULY loves his time he spent as a football player & the wonderful friends he made along the way.

Our family sure hopes to celebrate Dad's 73rd birthday in Canton in 2010!!
    Please feel free to email Dad at edmeador21@hotmail.com He would LOVE to hear from you!

Sincerely,
    Vicki

Thank you Ms. Vicki.

Rest assured Uncle Ed will receive tribute and greetings from members of ClanRam.

Please let him know we would LOVE to have him visit this site as well -- it is all Rams, past and present. I for one would feel elated and highly honored to have one of my teenhood Ram heroes stop by this place!

This is so exciting yet moreso would be to have Eddie Meador arrive at the HOF. Well deserved. Salute!

PS: again, kudos for that terrific site you have of your dad. Edmeador21.com
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-22-2009 at 08:30 PM. Reason: PS

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Thanks RR for the great stat research. Eddie Meador is my all time favorite Rams safety. His career deserves HOF recognition.

No, thank you, Chris!...

Come on Clan! Lest we forget the value and the virtue of the Pro Football Hall of Fame [Note: please try to forget the politics involved and the names we question as deserving], that is, the SPECIAL PLACE this holds for those inducted and for us fans that support their being there. I say unto you...
    Eddie Meador is deserving.

We have a few days before the NFL Draft. As Azul e Oro mentioned, there is a current redundancy of draft posts and draftees so, let's get with it!

Please visit / revisit that truly excellent, well-put together website of this great Ram of the not-so-distant past (I'm not that old!) and you will appreciate, I promise, the fine attributes, character, and super Rams / all-around, down-to-earth, stats record holder player - person!

Just go to edmeador21 in your search engine and take the time. Take the time to relish in this Ram's achievements, bio, picture gallery. It really is a nice site not only to visit but to take part in; and that is ... go through every page. It is great reading.

More importantly, take the time to send your letter / e-mail to the HOF Nomination Committee. The info is all there in that same web site.

I ask of you ... no, I beg -- hey, forget that! I exhort, implore. Again, no, NO. DO IT pronto!!!

Following is the e-mail I just sent this evening to the aforementioned Committee. It is based on the sample that Vicki and company have included in the edmeador21 site (we have no excuse). Try to change it so the copy won't seem too obviosu.

SUPPORT EDDIE MEADOR for the HOF!

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Dear members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee,

As a Rams fan of 44 years, it is with great excitement and hope that I wish to voice my support of the nomination of Eddie Meador to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Senior Category, Class of 2010). Mr. Meador played defensive back for the Los Angeles Rams from 1959-1970.

I, as well as many other fans from many of the NFL teams, deeply appreciate how special Eddie Meador's achievements were as well as the professionalism with which he accomplished them.

Is is rather surprising that this former Ram has not yet been enshrined into the Hall of Fame, thus my respectful request to you to consider the nomination of Eddie Meador into the distinguished football fortress in Canton, Ohio.

Back in 1965 I used to admire 'Rams No. 21' as a very fine defender of my favorite NFL team. He was so instrumental in bringing such renowned strength to the Rams defense of that era. He was highly respected by both the opponent players and coaches as well as by his teammates. I remember this well (as sure as I used to enjoy Bob Oates' articles on the Rams of then).

Today… time, history, and achievement make Meador’s name worthy of joining the others in the Hall of Fame.

Among the NFL highlights of Eddie Meador are the following:

* 6 Time Pro Bowler -- 1960, '64, '65, '66, ' 67, and '68. As many or more than most of the defensive backs already in the Hall.

* Selected All-Pro 5 times in 12 seasons, i.e., First Team All-Pro in 1967, '68, and '69 and Second Team All-Pro in 1963 and 1965.

* Chosen to the NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1960's (the other two safeties are inducted in the HOF -- Larry Wilson and Willie Wood.

* Nominated by the NFL for President of the NFL Players' Association (prior to the merger with AFL, 1969).

* Is still the Rams all-time career interceptions record holder: 46 (a higher rate of INT’s in games played than half of the defensive backs already in the Hall).

* Named to the All-Time Rams Team along with Hall of Famers Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen.

* Named NFL Father of the Year in 1967 (partly for his work with children with special needs).

* Awarded the Byron "Whizzer" White Award (1969) for his many efforts in promoting charity and goodwill.

Seeing a permanent bust of Eddie Meador in the Pro Football Hall of Fame would certainly be a reason to feel proud for every Rams fan. But far more important, it would be a fair tribute and recognition to this man's merits as an individual and as a truly extraordinary defensive back. I believe his statistics prove this and his character deserve it. This is what the history of the National Football League should reflect and I think Meador's persona in professional sports justifies being part of this heritage.

Eddie Meador's accomplishments on and off the field deserve to be immortalized in the Hall of Fame. Please do keep his name in mind at the time of casting your ballots.

Many thanks in advance for your time and consideration,

Most respectfully,

Jorge [sig includes my wife's name and our surname]

For you younger Rams in the Clan, Meador was a TERRIFIC defensive back!

He was a quiet leader, a tough hard-hitting tackler, and a constant ball hawk. 46 INTs in 163 games is quite the accomplisment -- that in addition to his hundreds of tackles, his many fumble recoveries (and forced too); his presence in that awesome Rams defense of the mid to late 60s. He was instrumental in making the Fearsome Foursome so formidable.

I hope you will do your part in helping to add another Ramtastic name to the HOF. Go Rams!

Come on people, let's get with it!

Just go to the edmeador21[dot com] web site and please make sure you visit each page carefully. It's a great site of a former great Rams DB! Follow the instructions suggested to nominate this HOF-deserving player ... AND DO IT.

Got the following e-mail this mornning from the Meador Clan.

Jorge,

My sister forwarded me the message you sent on behalf of my dad, Ed Meador. I just wanted to thank you for the wonderfully written nomination and the message to my dad that you sent. If he gets inducted, it will partly be because of faithful and thoughtful fans like you who've expressed so well their support for not only his career accomplishments, but also the manner in which he carried himself on and off the field.

My siblings and I are very grateful to the ClanRam group. It brings us so much joy to "run into" people who remember Dad's career and how he played. As we all get older, we don't get to hear the stories and comments as often as we used to. People tend to forget over time. So, it's been a real blessing to hear from fans like you. Thank you, Jorge, for all you do on the Rams' behalf and on our Dad's behalf.

Your friend in football and a Ram fan 'til the end,
    Dave Meador

Come on people, let's get with it!

Just go to the edmeador21[dot com] web site and please make sure you visit each page carefully. It's a great site of a former great Rams DB! Follow the instructions suggested to nominate this HOF-deserving player ... AND DO IT.

Got the following e-mail this mornning from the Meador Clan.

Jorge,

My sister forwarded me the message you sent on behalf of my dad, Ed Meador. I just wanted to thank you for the wonderfully written nomination and the message to my dad that you sent. If he gets inducted, it will partly be because of faithful and thoughtful fans like you who've expressed so well their support for not only his career accomplishments, but also the manner in which he carried himself on and off the field.

My siblings and I are very grateful to the ClanRam group. It brings us so much joy to "run into" people who remember Dad's career and how he played. As we all get older, we don't get to hear the stories and comments as often as we used to. People tend to forget over time. So, it's been a real blessing to hear from fans like you. Thank you, Jorge, for all you do on the Rams' behalf and on our Dad's behalf.

Your friend in football and a Ram fan 'til the end,

Dave Meador

stlramman is offline Registered User

This is awesome! I will definitely send a nomination to the Hall Of Fame on the behalf of a very deserving Mr.Meador!

Thanks STLramman! Just fot that, REP Points to you. Your support to EMeador is greatly appreciated.

'Takes a little bit of time to write, send e-mail to HOF and/or e-mail to the Selection Committee* but WELL WORTH IT!

*.- Please see the 'How to Nominate' page in the edmeador21 website for copy / paste addresses.

Below, verbatim, is the message I e-mailed to the HOF Selection Committee this evening. It is based on the sample that appears in the wwwedmeador21 site, in their 'How to Nominate' page. And what a nice site it is...

If you want, you can also use this same message but, please, try to adapt to your person, style, wording so as to not come up with an all too obvious copy.

I e-mailed it yesterday, April 20.

Dear members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame Selection Committee,

As a Rams fan of 44 years, it is with great excitement and hope that I wish to voice my support of the nomination of Eddie Meador to the Pro Football Hall of Fame (Senior Category, Class of 2010). Mr. Meador played defensive back for the Los Angeles Rams from 1959-1970.

I, as well as many other fans from many of the NFL teams, deeply appreciate how special Eddie Meador's achievements were as well as the professionalism with which he accomplished them.

In my opinion, it is rather surprising that this former Ram has not yet been enshrined into the Hall of Fame, thus my respectful request to you to consider the nomination of Eddie Meador into the distinguished football fortress in Canton, Ohio.

Back in 1965 I used to admire 'Rams No. 21' as a very fine defender of my favorite NFL team. He was so instrumental in bringing such renowned strength to the Rams defense of that era. He was highly respected by both the opponent players and coaches as well as by his teammates. I remember this well (as sure as I used to enjoy Bob Oates' articles on the Rams of then).

Today… time, history, and achievement make Meador’s name worthy of joining the others in the Hall of Fame.

Among the NFL highlights of Eddie Meador are the following:

* 6 Time Pro Bowler -- 1960, '64, '65, '66, ' 67, and '68. As many or more than most of the defensive backs already in the Hall.

* Selected All-Pro 5 times in 12 seasons , i.e., First Team All-Pro in 1967, '68, and '69 and Second Team All-Pro in 1963 and 1965.

* Chosen to the NFL's All-Decade Team of the 1960's (the other two safeties are inducted in the HOF -- Larry Wilson and Willie Wood).

* Nominated by the NFL for President of the NFL Players' Association (prior to the merger with AFL, 1969).

* Is still the Rams all-time career interceptions record holder: 46 (a higher rate of INT’s in games played than half of the defensive backs already in the Hall).

* Named to the All-Time Rams Team along with Hall of Famers Deacon Jones and Merlin Olsen.

* Named NFL Father of the Year in 1967 (partly for his work with children with special needs).

* Awarded the Byron "Whizzer" White Award (1969) for his many efforts in promoting charity and goodwill.

Seeing a permanent bust of Eddie Meador in the Pro Football Hall of Fame would certainly be a reason to feel proud for every Rams fan. But far more important, it would be a fair tribute and recognition to this man's merits as an individual and as a truly extraordinary defensive back . I believe his statistics prove this and his character deserves it. This is what the history of the National Football League should reflect and I think Meador's persona in professional sports justifies being part of this heritage .

Eddie Meador's accomplishments on and off the field deserve to be immortalized in the Hall of Fame. Please do keep his name in mind at the time of casting your ballots.

Many thanks in advance for your time and consideration,

Most respectfully,

Jorge

[Sig also with my wife's name and surname]
    LET'S SUPPORT THE GREAT EDDIE MEADOR INTO THE HOF!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Former L.A.Ram, Eddie Meador, a Nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame-eddie-meador.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-22-2009 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast