Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Former L.A.Ram, Eddie Meador, a Nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame

Eddie Meador was one of the finest defensive backs I have ever seen. Outstanding in coverage and a fierce tackler, he had a remarkable nose for the football that allowed him to come up with big plays again and again during his career with the Rams. He was also a fine leader and one of my favorite teammates. Eddie Meador belongs in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. -- Merlin Olsen, HOF Class of 1982
    Now that's supporting a true teammate that deserves the good press!

This next one is from the excellent split end, Raymond Berry of the Baltimore Colts (1955-67), also a HOF, class of 1973. Colts and Rams back then had a good number of great games against each other.

A real classy person in every way a player can be -- that's what Eddie Meador is all about. Fast, quick, smart and a top competitor. A big part of one of the best defenses of all time, put together by one of the best coaches of all time: George Allen.

And from the head coach himself, the late George Allen (Rams 1966-70). HOF class of 2002...

There is no way to describe Eddie Meador in one word. Meador is the best free safety in pro football. You can't replace an Eddie Meador. -- LA Times Herald 1967-68

Another former teammate, Tommy McDonald, HOF class of 1998...

If I was a player or coach on defense, I'd start with Paul Krause and Eddie Meador in the secondary and Merlin Olsen and Deacon Jones on the line. Whenever you played against Eddie Meador, he played like a Hall of Famer.
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-22-2009 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Other quotes

Facts and trivia taken from the edmeador21 website. BTW, well worth visiting!

* Roomed with LBs Les Richter and Jack Pardee in parts of career.
    * Broke helmet and was knocked unconscious by collision w/Paul Hornung [HOF].
    * Meador's salary for playing with the Rams in 1963 was $14,000 [1st year was 1959].
    * Helped lead a petition for Rams owner Dan Reeves to not fire George Allen; organized a Rams walk-out if the firing took place. [It didn't, thanks in part to Meador. This was at the end of the 1968 season. The following season the Rams went 11 games undefeated and were again NFC Coastal Div. Champs]
    * Named Rams defensive Co-captain in mid 60s.

From an interview by High School students in Lamar, AR...

Q. Who did you hit the most, and why?
    A. (Chuckles) I wanted to hit everybody, especially if they had the ball.

Q. Which player in recent times reminds you of yourself?
    A. ...In recent times, I'd say Darrell Green of the Redskins; he and I play a lot alike. I think I'd compare myself to him. [EM is not comparing his speed with that of DG]

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Former L.A.Ram, Eddie Meador, a Nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame-eddie-meador11-ca.-1964-.jpg   Former L.A.Ram, Eddie Meador, a Nominee for Pro Football Hall of Fame-eddie-meador12-ca.-1966-.jpg  
    Last edited by RealRam; -04-23-2009 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Pic

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Come on people, let's get with it!

... AND DO IT.

Joe
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Thank you Ms. Vicki.

Rest assured Uncle Ed will receive tribute and greetings from members of ClanRam.
    Where's the love, people?!?

I liked what Azul e Oro had mentioned a few days ago, about the Clan being in a redundancy of draft themes and things. And I thus felt we would respond more and more enthused to Ms. Vicki's original invitation (post #1).

Come onnnnnn! I ask... no, no, I beg [hey, forget that!]. "I exhort and implore". What? NO!!!

DO IT. Take the 20 - 30 minutes, whatever amount of time, to visit the edmeador21 website; especially the 'How to Nominate' page. And get with the program!

Eddie Meador was a tremendous DB. A class act too. I compare him to a Merlin Olsen, his teammate -- a gentleman in civil life but a terrifying warrior on the field. It's all in that excellent edmeador21 website.

To my younger fellow Rams fans in the Clan... Lest we forget the value and the virtue of what the Pro Football Hall of Fame represents, please read and learn about this great former Ram. It's not like we're talking about four centuries ago, just 40 years. Eddie Meador was / is part of a truly awesome Rams defense; his stats attest to the power of said D of the mid to late 60s.

Again, he was a class act. Let's not allow time to take away the merits of Meador. This is HOF material!

Apr 5, 2009

Meador Nominated for NFL Hall of Fame

The above is from an article Ms. Vicki placed in KATV Channel 7, Little Rock, AR. It can be seen here: younewstv.com/areas/katv/42490142.html

She's trying her best...not only because Meador is her dad but because he is a GREAT former Ram / NFL player.

Join the cause friend. It could very well put another Ram in the HOF.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Mr. Meador has my full support for a Hall of Fame run! I am checking out the website now, and will be sending emails to the Committee members!
    Best of luck, and let's get your dad in the Hall!

stlramman is offline Registered User

Thanks STLramman! Just fot that, REP Points to you. Your support to EMeador is greatly appreciated.

'Takes a little bit of time to write, send e-mail to HOF and/or e-mail to the Selection Committee* but WELL WORTH IT!

*.- Please see the 'How to Nominate' page in the edmeador21 website for copy / paste addresses.
    Thanks for the rep RealRam. I sent emails to all the Selection Committee this morning and will have a hand writen letter to the Hall of Fame in Fridays mail!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12