RamWraith is offline Registered User

Former No. 1 draft pick gets another chance with Rams

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/18/2007

Life was working out just dandy for Travis Taylor in 2000. A few months after Baltimore made the wide receiver from the University of Florida the 10th overall draft pick, Taylor caught three touchdown passes in his first two NFL games.

A broken collarbone ended his rookie season after nine games, however, and Taylor has struggled since to live up to the expectations that come with being a first-round draftee. Taylor, who spent five seasons with the Ravens and the last two with Minnesota, had been unemployed since Sept. 24 before signing Tuesday with the Rams.

“I got a call on Monday afternoon, I worked out (Tuesday) morning, they said they wanted to sign me, and here I am,” Taylor said Wednesday after his first practice with his new team. “It was kind of unexpected, but it’s a blessing to be here. It’s a great group of receivers here, a great quarterback and a great system.”

That group of receivers has been whittled by injuries. Last Sunday at Baltimore, the Rams finished the game with Marques Hagans and newcomer Brandon Williams as their Nos. 2 and 3 wideouts. Isaac Bruce (hamstring), Drew Bennett (hamstring) and Dane Looker (thigh) might be available Sunday at Seattle; still, Taylor is trying to get up to speed quickly.

“He has pretty good knowledge of our system,” coach Scott Linehan said. “He gives us an experienced receiver, and that’s probably my biggest concern, our lack of experience there.”

The 6-foot-1, 185-pound Taylor has 311 career receptions for 4,013 yards and 22 touchdowns. His best season was in 2002, when he caught 61 passes for 869 yards and 11 touchdowns. After the Ravens released him in 2005, he led the Vikings in receiving yards in back-to-back years. Still, he was cut and signed with Oakland in May. Taylor, 29, played in just one game for the Raiders before he was released.

Roster move
    By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/18/2007

To make room for Travis Taylor, the Rams placed linebacker Raonall Smith on injured reserve, ending his season. Smith suffered a torn medial collateral ligament in his right knee Sept. 30 at Dallas.

Also, cornerback Darius Vinnett was re-signed after clearing waivers and was assigned to the practice squad.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Former No. 1 draft pick gets another chance with Rams

I'll plead ignorance on this one. Yes, I know he had some legal issues (and the obvious character questions that come with that), but his production hasn't been all bad. Not stellar, but #2 or #3 worthy for most any team in the league.

So why, I ask, has he been cut from 3 teams in 2.5 years AND was sitting at home in week 6 of this season? What's the story?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Drew is offline Registered User

his play hasn`t merited 1st round selection but hell we`ve spent 1st round picks on players that have produced less!

its hard to gauge from the outside looking in on why other franchises make certain moves,hell even our own for that fact but taking a positive spin on it...

Baltimore aren`t exactly renowned for their QB`s play, that gotta effect whoever you got at WR (he still had 11 TD`s in `02!)

he led the vikes in yards recieving in both his years in Minnesota (not a great WR core i admit!)

released by Al Davis....where do you start trying to work out anything Al Davis does???

I love Al Davis but only because he runs into the ground a franchise i dislike with a passion!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'll plead ignorance on this one. Yes, I know he had some legal issues (and the obvious character questions that come with that), but his production hasn't been all bad. Not stellar, but #2 or #3 worthy for most any team in the league.

So why, I ask, has he been cut from 3 teams in 2.5 years AND was sitting at home in week 6 of this season? What's the story?
    HUb, like you, I know very little about Taylor (BTW, this is "his version" of the arrest after the Rams defeated the Vikings to end last year's regular season):

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2716593

I hope he does well with us and maybe he'll be ready for week 9, right after the bye. Another protégé of SL perhaps, I don't know, but perhaps more productive? As long as he's around Bruce and Holt he may turn out okay.
    Last edited by RealRam; -10-18-2007 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Link

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Well, I know it's been said before, but if the o line can't give the QB time, it doesn't matter who we have at receiver.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

He had such huge potential coming out of Florida, I liked his play there. Also if I'm not mistaken he was on their national title team. But like many others that came out of Florida at that time their play just doesn't seem to translate to the pros. Heck it wasn't 2 years ago NE made Chad Jackson their #1 pick out of Florida and I think he may be out of the league.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    He had such huge potential coming out of Florida, I liked his play there. Also if I'm not mistaken he was on their national title team. But like many others that came out of Florida at that time their play just doesn't seem to translate to the pros. Heck it wasn't 2 years ago NE made Chad Jackson their #1 pick out of Florida and I think he may be out of the league.
    You know....that's a heck of a point! Several receivers have been drafted out of Gainesville, but other than Darrell Jackson, none of them have really stood out......maybe Ike Hilliard, sort of.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod