r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Former Ohio State LBs reunite with St. Louis Rams

06.05.2009 5:39 pm

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

A few years ago, James Laurinaitis and Larry Grant were competing for the same job: first-team middle linebacker at Ohio State. “It was kind of me and him battling for the spot my sophomore year,” Laurinaitis recalled.

Laurinaitis won that fight and developed into an All-American. He was the Rams’ second-round pick (No. 35 overall) in April’s draft.

Now, he and Grant are on the field together again — and this time, they’re playing alongside each other. Laurinaitis has been manning the middle with the second unit. Grant has been getting reps with the first and second units at strongside linebacker.

Grant is “extremely talented,” Laurinaitis said. “He was a leader at Ohio State, and to see him here with me is awesome, because he’s helping me out with some things in the defense. I think with Larry, you get a guy who’s extremely good with his hands, and he makes some plays. I think if he gets the chance to play football, he’s going to show some people that he’s going to be pretty good linebacker.”

The Rams signed Grant off the *****’ practice squad last November. He got into the last two games of the season on special teams, recording six tackles.

“We’re doing things here that we’d been used to doing at Ohio State — staying after, watching film on our own, trying to get things down,” Laurinaitis said. “When you have guys that are already comfortable with each other, it gives you a head start communicating.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*Friday morning’s practice was particularly crisp, with the offense functioning smoothly and effectively. “We’re getting there,” QB Marc Bulger said.

*DE Chris Long and LT Alex Barron have had some good skirmishes in team drills.

*CB Jonathan Wade, who is being used as the nickel back, looks as if his coverage skills have improved.

*During practice, the players who are injured work with new strength coach Rock Gullickson on the sideline. He puts them through intense, demanding workouts, which just might prompt quicker healing.

*FB Mike Karney loves the West Coast-style offense that coordinator Pat Shurmur brought with him from Baltimore. “It’s very fullback-friendly,” Karney said. “I’m sorer than I’ve been in a long time. But it’s a good sore . . . a very good sore.”

*Unofficially, converted G Mark Setterstrom has made just one bad snap at center this spring, in the shotgun formation.

*WR Donnie Avery has impressed with his pass-catching consistency and improved route running.

*Minicamp wraps up with a single practice Saturday morning.

All for now . . .

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: Former Ohio State LBs reunite with St. Louis Rams

Yes! I saw these guys play every game. It's awesome to see them back together. All we have to do now is trade for Marcus Freeman and we'll be complete.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Re: Former Ohio State LBs reunite with St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    *During practice, the players who are injured work with new strength coach Rock Gullickson on the sideline. He puts them through intense, demanding workouts, which just might prompt quicker healing.

haha, Yes!!! that's exactly how i remember high school ball being like. being 'hurt' was always worse than the regular drills.

go rams.