MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Former Rams coach Dick Vermeil impressed with Bradford ..

BY STEVE KORTE - News-Democrat

ST. LOUIS -- Former St. Louis Rams coach Dick Vermeil had some words of wisdom for the current players and coach Steve Spagnuolo during a visit to Rams Park on Monday.

Vermeil was visiting St. Louis for a news conference today at Mike Shannon's Restaurant announcing the release of Vermeil Wines' new red wine, "XXXIV.''

The wine is named after Super Bowl XXXIV, which the Rams won with a 23-16 decision over the Tennessee Titans.

Vermeil, who addressed the Rams during a team meeting on Monday night, said earlier that afternoon that he planned to lean on his experiences as coach with the Philadelphia Eagles, the Rams and the Kansas City Chiefs during his speech.

"I have been there and done it,'' Vermeil said of turning around a franchise's fortunes. "No one has ever given me a team to coach that was winning when I took it over, so I have experiences maybe to relate to what they're going through and what they have to do, and what they have to become.''

As for Spagnuolo, Vermeil said his best advice was not to blame himself for everything that goes wrong.

"Just don't beat yourself up,'' Vermeil said. "It so easy when you are as intense as he is -- and I was -- to blame yourself or beat yourself up and think you can perform miracles just because you can coach. The trouble is everybody else has a coach who can coach in this league, too.''

Vermeil said Spagnuolo has the character traits to be a successful coach.

"He has a natural enthusiasm about him that I think is infectious,'' Vermeil said. " It's a great leadership quality that I think will permeate this organization.''

Vermeil got to watch rookie quarterback Sam Bradford, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2010 NFL Draft, during practice on Monday afternoon.

"Well, he's impressive on the field, and I watched him play some college football,'' Vermeil said. "And Terry Shea, who coached quarterbacks for me with the Kansas City Chiefs was involved in training him in preparation for the NFL Draft for three months, and he said he was the most impressive quarterback he's worked with for last couple of years in that same environment.''

Vermeil said Bradford's contract, which includes $50 million in guaranteed money, was just the current price of doing business in the NFL.

"I wouldn't advise him to turn it down,'' Vermeil said. "I think if you give the money to the right kind of people, it doesn't change anything. It adds a sense of responsibility to meet that commitment that the organization has made to him. Obviously they would have invested that kind of money if they didn't feel he was mature enough to handle it, and keep it in the proper perspective. From what everybody says, he is the kind of guy who will want to prove he is worth every dollar.''

Vermeil said being at Rams Park brought back a flood of memories for him.

"There are so many great memories of being on this field even in the days of losing,'' Vermeil said. "It's a great place, a great place in my heart.''

Asked if being out on the practice field made him want to coach again, Vermeil said, "If I wasn't 73, I would be doing it.''

Rams notes

Former University of Missouri wide receiver Danario Alexander visited with the Rams on Monday. Alexander watched the Rams practice from the second-floor balcony at Rams Park.

Alexander, who had 113 catches for 1,781 yards and 14 touchdowns last season as a senior for the Tigers, went undrafted after suffering a knee injury at the Senior Bowl.

Alexander underwent surgery and wasn't cleared to play until two weeks.

Alexander is scheduled to visit the Seattle Seahawks today. ...

As a concession to the heat, Spagnuolo had the team take a 15-minute water break during its 2 1/2 -hour practice on Monday. ...

Spagnuolo said defensive tackle Chris Hovan "tweaked'' his lower back and defensive back Marquis Johnson "tweaked'' his left hamstring during practice.

3STL9 is offline Registered User

Re: Former Rams coach Dick Vermeil impressed with Bradford ..

Football season just needs to get here ...haha

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What the heck does Vermeil know about quarterbacks? He was going to start Trent Green over Kurt Warner.

SLSG is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    What the heck does Vermeil know about quarterbacks? He was going to start Trent Green over Kurt Warner.

Green was on fire before his injury. He was so accurate and would have had a huge year in 1999 with all those weapons. Would he have won the SB ? We will never know.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

you know, I am still mad at this guy for leaving the RAMS after the super bowl. I have to say I hate the chiefs and the eagles twice as much now because of it. One day I will get over it. One day. No, I don't think I ever will.

GO RAMS BEAT the chefs

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    you know, I am still mad at this guy for leaving the RAMS after the super bowl. I have to say I hate the chiefs and the eagles twice as much now because of it. One day I will get over it. One day. No, I don't think I ever will.

GO RAMS BEAT the chefs
    Lord I have noticed all the little things you leave behind in every post " GO RAMS BEAT the chefs "......this is hilarious! HAHAHAH I love them and keep doing your thing!

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Coach Vermeil
    "No one has ever given me a team to coach that was winning when I took it over
    Right now in their mothers' basements all over rams nation there are Anti Martzites showing their "O" face to the computer.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

nuclearman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SLSG View Post
    Green was on fire before his injury. He was so accurate and would have had a huge year in 1999 with all those weapons. Would he have won the SB ? We will never know.
    I'd be prepared to say he wouldn't have ... he was very good but he didn't have that x-factor ... imo Kurt Warner was something special .

You have to love Vermeil ... if he wasn't 73 he'd be still doing it. It's great he says Spags is enthusiastic - because when you saw Vermeil he was so involved in the game - passionate.