RamWraith is offline Registered User

Former Rams return - in Seahawks blue

By Kathleen Nelson
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH

Not only have the Seattle Seahawks stolen a pair of Rams defensive ends, they've taken away the team's meal ticket in Seattle.

First, Grant Wistrom left St. Louis for the Pacific Northwest after the 2003 season. Last year, Bryce Fisher departed to return to mom's home cooking. A native of Renton, Wash., Fisher sweet-talked his mother, Diana Ferrant, into laying out a spread for his Rams teammates on their annual visits to Seattle. Among the delicacies were paella, red beans and rice, chicken, pork chops, potato salad and cucumber salad, a favorite of fellow DE Leonard Little.

"My mom doesn't root for you guys anymore," Fisher said on a conference call Wednesday. "As far as she's concerned, her baby is home, and the only people she needs to feed are Seattle Seahawks. My mom used to do it big. Now, these guys get to eat my mom's food."

Lucky for the Rams' stomachs that their first meeting with the Seahawks is Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome.

"We feel very fortunate to have them," Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren said of Wistrom, Fisher and presumably, Fisher's mom. "They're doing the same things for us that they did for the Rams. They give you everything they have. They play hard, and they're good people."

The move to Seattle was logical for Fisher, who led the Rams last year with 8 1/2 sacks, the same number as the man he replaced in Seattle, Chike Okeafor. Then again, he didn't have many options, as the Seahawks were the only team to make him an offer in free agency.

"St. Louis didn't even make an offer to try to keep me," he said, but added, "I love it. This is where I'm from. I get paid a lot of money, I start and I'm home. You can't beat that."

Fisher is just one piece of a rebuilt puzzle that features seven new starters on defense. He said the transition "hasn't been too tough," and again this year, Fisher leads the Seahawks in sacks, with three in four games.

One of the biggest plusses, besides mom's home cookin', is having Wistrom serve as the bookend on the right side. Fisher served as Wistrom's backup in St. Louis and got the chance to shine after Wistrom left for Seattle.

"He's a great guy," Fisher said. "We're back to busting each other's chops and giving each other a hard time. It's just like when I was in St. Louis a couple years ago."

With a four-year, $10 million contract, Fisher said he had something to prove. Wistrom knows the feeling. In fact, he can't shake it. After missing five games in his first six seasons, Wistrom missed eight games because of injuries to his knee, foot and back in 2004, when he made 38 tackles and had 3 1/2 sacks. So, he approaches 2005 almost as if it's the first year of his six-year, $33 million deal.

"Last year was kind of tough, being out of the lineup so much," he said. "It's nice to be healthy and feel like you can play 100 percent every week."

Holmgren said the Seahawks' defense lost an edge when Wistrom was injured last season.

"Not having Grant on the field for the last couple of games against the Rams hurt us. He's very much a catalyst for our defense," he said. "He certainly wants to earn his money. He's not one of those guys with his hand out. When he got hurt, he felt he let the team down. He's very much a team guy. He's everything we wanted him to be when he's healthy, and now he's healthy."

The only thing missing from Wistrom's game is a sack. He still lacks one after four games.

"Any defensive end wants to get sacks," he said. "When people open up the paper, they don't say, 'Oh, look. He played hard this week.' People open up the paper and say, 'Oh, look. He had two or three sacks this week.' I'm sitting on zero. I don't think I'm playing bad football, but the sacks aren't coming right now. They'll come eventually. That's how we're evaluated, and I need to go out there and do that more often."

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: Former Rams return - in Seahawks blue

"St. Louis didn't even make an offer to try to keep me," he said, but added, "I love it. This is where I'm from. I get paid a lot of money, I start and I'm home. You can't beat that."

Fisher is just one piece of a rebuilt puzzle that features seven new starters on defense. He said the transition "hasn't been too tough," and again this year, Fisher leads the Seahawks in sacks, with three in four games.
    Nice Fisher is showing his loyalty to money. We fans are so stupid to think that they have any team loyalty. This is truely a game of big money.

Let's hope that neither Fisher or Wistrom get a sack today. Play strong O line.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]