05.02.2009 2:42 pm
Former Ravens still “best of friends” as Rams teammates
By Bill Coats
St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Center Jason Brown created a bit of a stir after signing a free-agent deal with the Rams in late February when he accused quarterback Kyle Boller, a former Baltimore Ravens teammate, of becoming “gun-shy” because he was sacked so many times.

Boller, who since has joined the Rams, also as a free agent, initially was upset at first over the remark. But the two remain “best of friends,” Brown said between Saturday’s two minicamp practices at Rams Park.

“Everybody might have tendencies or some type of flaws in their game; I have flaws in my game,” Brown said. “I live in a glass house. I cannot cast any stones. I really can’t.”

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*Mark Setterstrom, coming off a second major knee injury, has been working at center with the second team. Previously, Setterstrom saw virtually all his action at guard.

*FS Oshiomogho Atogwe tweaked a hamstring Friday and was limited to individual drills Saturday.

*Long-snapper Chris Massey is sidelined with a calf injury.

*After having rough day Friday, WR Laurent Robinson caught the ball much better Saturday.

*TE Joe Klopfenstein, a second-round draft choice in 2006, will have to battle for a roster spot. Randy McMichael and Billy Bajema are ahead of him, and Daniel Fells could nail down the third, and final, spot.

*T Jason Smith, the No. 2 overall pick in the draft, already has impressed with his strength, quick feet and deference to the vets. “I don’t know who has coached that young man up, but he’s already saying ‘Hey, let me get your shoulder pads,’” Brown said. “As soon as we get in (the locker room), he’s getting us towels and stuff like that. He’s coming along very well.”

*Rookie QB Keith Null has displayed a strong and accurate right arm.

*CB Tye Hill is still limping a bit from the knee injury that ended his season after four games last year.

*Steven Jackson has made a couple of acrobatic catches out of the backfield.

All for now . . .

Tags: Jason Brown, kyle boller, st. louis rams, steven jackson, tye hill