Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sosa39rams

Thread: The Formula for Success

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

The Formula for Success

I'm going to take a look at 3 teams. The Baltimore Ravens, San Francisco Whiners, and Houston Texans. With that, I believe the formula to success in today's NFL is the ability to effectively run the football and play stout defense. Even though both of the teams in the Superbowl were ranked 31st and 32nd in rushing, they could have both easily been eliminated by the Ravens and ***** respectively.

Total Rushing Yards/Rushing Avg:

Ravens - 1996/4.3
    Whiners - 2044/4.1
    Texans - 2448/4.5

All of these teams ran the ball effectively. They all have great #1 RB's, and capable back-ups. We are now in this category. SJ is still one of the better RB's in the NFL, and has a great back-up in Isaiah Pead who will start one day.

Turnover Ratio:

Ravens - +2
    Whiners - +28
    Texans - +7

As you can see, these teams for the most part took care of the ball as well. The Niners forced an unbelievable amount of turnovers on defense, and rarely gave the ball away. The Texans struggled a bit down the road due to the injuries to Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson. The Ravens had a better QB than both of these teams last year so he took more chances, as well as the OC did, resulting in a few more turnovers, yet still efficient.

Defense YPG Allowed:

(#2) Texans - 285.7 YPG
    (#3) Ravens - 288.9 YPG
    (#4) Whiners - 308.2 YPG

Ironically yards wise, these teams were ranked from #2-#4. None of these teams allowed 100.0 YPG rushing, the highest being 96.0. They are stout defensively, know their role, are efficient tacklers, and playmakers. They have many guys on their defenses willing to sacrifice stats for production. They are team players and unselfish, all being 3-4 defenses.

PPG Allowed:

(#2) Whiners - 14.3 PPG
    (#3) Ravens - 16.6 PPG
    (#4) Texans - 17.4 PPG

These defenses managed to hold many teams to a low mediocre amount of points. That leaves their offenses with plenty of opportunities to win the game.

I believe these are the few key things we must heavily improve on to become a good football team. I think we definitely have the potenital to do so, as long as a few things bounce our way, players reach their full potential, and our coaching staff preaches good football, we can once again be relevant.

Here's to hoping for the best, and a quick recovery!
    berg8309 likes this.

THE DREAM TEAM

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

Re: The Formula for Success

As John Madden said;

" . . . .A great defense will ALWAYS beat a great offense"

Word to ya mutha.

(Actually I don't think he said that last bit.)

berg8309 is offline Registered User

I wrote a small blurb on some of this a while ago on the NFL forum, about whether the running back will make a come back. Last year the popular topic was whether the passing game had finally taken over, but I think numbers were inflated because defenses lacked cohesion in the backfield due to the shortened off-season, and the numbers became more normal as the season progressed.

As such, I agree with your post, running and defense win games. You protect the ball and control the clock better with the run game, so if you run the ball effectively, you can win some games.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

agree for the most part with all of you, especially the OP. However, you also have to be careful with that if you dont have receivers that are capable of winning on the outside. If you dont have these ( which we have been criticized for heavily the last few years), then defenses will continue to stack the box and force the pass to beat them. Having said that, I continue to believe that this offensive line is built to run the football and is average at pass pro. Lets see how this season shapes up...

Also, if you cant score points, your defense goes right back on the field in a short amount of time if you cant give them support and it becomes considerably tougher to get stops due to the fatigue.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

It's the logical way to go for now but I think there'll be a transition. I think you still have to be balanced, at the very least, to consistently compete for the SB.And of course you need a good defense; our own GSOT era defense was underrated at its best.Still, Schaub and Flacco are not chopped liver. Alex Smith is probably more of a tofu pate, being a Whiner. And you certainly have to concede, the skinny on all three teams is that it's the darn QB play/health/lack of passing playmakers that's keeping them from taking that final step to championship caliber.

Look at what Schotty did in NY; they built around Ryan's D & a strong run game but tried to put it gradually into Sanchez's hands. Imo, he has yet to come through. We'll have to see if it works with Sam. Obviously, Fisher thinks it will.I think it shows in the way they acquired players; more immediate bang on D in the draft and FA,imo, & maybe slightly developmental guys like Quick, Pead, and Givens on offense.

In short, I seriously doubt we're seeing the rebirth of Ground Chuck football. Why would you cite the QB as central to your choice of The Rams if you ultimately just needed a guy who hands off well & can throw a decent play action pass ? A Dilfer, if I may coin a phrase ? Or whoever the Fins QBs were last year....

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

I think what we've witnessed over the years is that there's more than one way to be successful and thus, more than one way to win a Super Bowl. The game has been transformed over the years from a running league (think Dolphins of the 70's) to one which emphasizes passing. The easiest (and most glamorous) way is to have the big-time QB, and indeed since 2004 every Super Bowl winner has had a star QB, P.Manning, E. Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger. In this day and age of offensive football, there is no substitute for this kind of player. Then there are also teams that have decent QB's who manage the game and let the powerful running game and defense do the bulk of the work. Joe Flacco comes to mind. Each can be effective.

There are three basic elements to football- a passing game, a running game and defense. If you have two of the three, you have a chance to be very successful.

The other factor which comes into play from time to time is the luck factor: Getting hot at the right time. Nowhere was this better illustrated than last season with the Giants, who appeared dead in a Sunday night game vs. Dallas late in the season, won the game, got into the playoffs then upset a couple of better teams en route to winning the Super Bowl. So I don't think there is a specific "blueprint" to follow.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I think what we've witnessed over the years is that there's more than one way to be successful and thus, more than one way to win a Super Bowl. The game has been transformed over the years from a running league (think Dolphins of the 70's) to one which emphasizes passing. The easiest (and most glamorous) way is to have the big-time QB, and indeed since 2004 every Super Bowl winner has had a star QB, P.Manning, E. Manning, Brees, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger. In this day and age of offensive football, there is no substitute for this kind of player. Then there are also teams that have decent QB's who manage the game and let the powerful running game and defense do the bulk of the work. Joe Flacco comes to mind. Each can be effective.

There are three basic elements to football- a passing game, a running game and defense. If you have two of the three, you have a chance to be very successful.

The other factor which comes into play from time to time is the luck factor: Getting hot at the right time. Nowhere was this better illustrated than last season with the Giants, who appeared dead in a Sunday night game vs. Dallas late in the season, won the game, got into the playoffs then upset a couple of better teams en route to winning the Super Bowl. So I don't think there is a specific "blueprint" to follow.
    I don't think that this is the only way to be successful either, but I know that Fisher has had these types of teams in the past which is why I thought he'd be building towards that again. I think being a dominant running team in todays NFL is more dangerous only because its so different than what teams are game planning for.

THE DREAM TEAM