Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Four Players Who Should Be On The Trading Block

The Rams should start their rebuilding for 2008 now. While there is not much that can be done, here are four players I thing should be on the trading block right now:

Leonard Little
    Remember when we thought signing him long-term was a good idea? Well, his performance certainly has not justified that deal. Let's be honest with what we have here: a past-his-prime pass rusher who adds little in run support. Not really a building block for the future. That said, there could be a contender who would see him as a valuable player for a title run, as he still can make some big plays. With his contract, I doubt we'd get much for him, but I'd take a 3rd round pick if we could get it.

Joe Klopfenstein
    Theere was promise there, but it has gone. I doubt he'll ever be better than average as a blocker, but he's got some potential as a pass catcher. I think there would be teams who would look at him and say "the Rams aren't using him correctly, but we could make him a productive player." Probably no better than a 5th round pick in exchange, but its better than cutting him in the offseason.

L'Roi Glover
    Here's another guy who could be attractive to a contender with a missing piece to their puzzle. He's a good character guy and shows flashes every now and again. The Rams need to commit to Carriker/Ryan/Wroten as their primary DTs of the future, so Glover is not part of the rebuilding. 4th or 5th round pick in exchange for him would be a fine.

Corey Chavous
    I can't see him being on the Rams roster next year. Heck, I could see him retiring to take a job with ESPN. However, a contender with a hole at safety could value him. Okay, so they'd have to be pretty desperate, but you never know. Take what you can get.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Re: Four Players Who Should Be On The Trading Block

I say pull the trigger on Klop as fast as possible. Chavous could be gone too and I wouldn't cry over it ...

I think Glover is way too valuable as a mentor on the D-Line to set him free. He can still make a play here and there also ...

Little has been injured, I think it's too early to set him free although Adeyanju looked like a STUD against the 'hags ....

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

What sort of implications would that have towards the Rams 2008 salary cap? Trading Little that is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i cant see dumping klops right now for a 5th. I would wait until the offseason and reevaluate. I agree he is just horrible as a blocker, but i dont think he is losing value during the season and if mcmichael gets hurt, who knows, klopf might show more as a receiver. I still am not convinced we have ever thrown him the ball enough to make a judgment on whether he can contribute as a receiver.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

viper is offline Registered User

I believe the trading deadline has already passed.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Very good thread. I can agree on the comments about older players who are not working well for us like Little, Chavous and Glover. I do however agree with GC on holding-off on Klopfenstein. He is young and has pass catching skills that we have not fully exploited. I do feel the first step is finding a new head coach and determining what system he will install. The older players should be gone however a good point was made about a salary cap hit from Little.

Again, it starts with the Head Coach, what is his system and can our younger players operate efficiently within it.

RAMarkable is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    i cant see dumping klops right now for a 5th. I would wait until the offseason and reevaluate. I agree he is just horrible as a blocker, but i dont think he is losing value during the season and if mcmichael gets hurt, who knows, klopf might show more as a receiver. I still am not convinced we have ever thrown him the ball enough to make a judgment on whether he can contribute as a receiver.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    The problem with Klop, gc, is that he doesn't really fit anywhere on this team. For receiving work we've got McMichael and Byrd. And for blocking we've got, again, McMichael and A. Walker. Even for motion TE (i.e. 'H' Back) once again we've got Byrd and R. Owens. Klop doesn't do any of this well enough to earn playing time and I'm afraid Av is correct on this one. Dump him now and cut our losses.

WHAT SAY YE?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The Rams should start their rebuilding for 2008 now. While there is not much that can be done, here are four players I thing should be on the trading block right now:

Leonard Little
    Remember when we thought signing him long-term was a good idea? Well, his performance certainly has not justified that deal. Let's be honest with what we have here: a past-his-prime pass rusher who adds little in run support. Not really a building block for the future. That said, there could be a contender who would see him as a valuable player for a title run, as he still can make some big plays. With his contract, I doubt we'd get much for him, but I'd take a 3rd round pick if we could get it.

Joe Klopfenstein
    Theere was promise there, but it has gone. I doubt he'll ever be better than average as a blocker, but he's got some potential as a pass catcher. I think there would be teams who would look at him and say "the Rams aren't using him correctly, but we could make him a productive player." Probably no better than a 5th round pick in exchange, but its better than cutting him in the offseason.

L'Roi Glover
    Here's another guy who could be attractive to a contender with a missing piece to their puzzle. He's a good character guy and shows flashes every now and again. The Rams need to commit to Carriker/Ryan/Wroten as their primary DTs of the future, so Glover is not part of the rebuilding. 4th or 5th round pick in exchange for him would be a fine.

Corey Chavous
    I can't see him being on the Rams roster next year. Heck, I could see him retiring to take a job with ESPN. However, a contender with a hole at safety could value him. Okay, so they'd have to be pretty desperate, but you never know. Take what you can get.
    How about Jeff Wilkins??

Milan is offline Registered User

I really don't want Little out, he's been one of my favorite players for the past 3 seasons. I wouldn't want to see him in a different jersey.:\

general counsel is offline Registered User

RamArkable, i am not suggesting that he fits, only that for a 5th round pick, i dont see the reason to make a move now.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    I believe the trading deadline has already passed.
    Yep. It has. Last week I believe.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I disagree with that assessment of Little. He was very productive last season, which leads me to think that the toe injury this season may be hurting him more than we realize. He isn't really a building block for the future because of his age, but I wouldn't want to trade him unless the deal was juicy enough or we were sure we had a replacement lined up. Glover and Chavous are expendable, but I really don't think we'd get anything for them. These guys really are on the verge of retirement. Of the four, I think Klopfenstein is the only one who has real trade value and is someone we could afford to let go.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

1. Little: If we can get a second for him, I say we take it, otherwise, at worst he's still a good mentor and Strahan-esque player who could probably still dominate with a young, dominating DE opposite him. PS, if we draft Chris Long from UVA, that will work.

2.Klop: I think we should keep him through his contract and see if he can improve on his blocking. Hell, make him practice with the offenive line.

3. Glover: I think he'll retire after this year anyway. But yes, I'd pass on him in a heart beat.

4. Chavous: We can always just cut him now and pick up Donovan Darius. Sure he's bounced from the Jags to Oakland to Miami and now is on the street again, but can we at least look at him?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    How about Jeff Wilkins??
    Who do you have replacing him?

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I think we should add Orlando Pace to that list, if we could get a 1st for him.

Though we would probably take a serious cap hit, I think his most productive days are over.

Not to mention the fact that he is becoming more and more injury prone.

I also would've traded Torry Holt for Detroit's pick last year if I were in charge. But that's just me.

Barring injury Calvin Johnson will be one of the best recievers in the game, maybe as soon as next year.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast