39thebeast is offline Registered User

Frazier in finals; Ryan to interview Sunday in Rams job searc

Frazier in finals; Ryan to interview Sunday in Rams job search
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/10/2009

Things are moving at a rapid pace in the Ramsí coaching search. League sources told the Post-Dispatch on Saturday evening that Minnesota defensive coordinator-assistant head coach Leslie Frazier will interview with team ownership Tuesday in Los Angeles.

Thatís right, Frazier has a "bye" into the finals. He will not undergo a preliminary interview. Instead, he joins Jim Haslett as the second known finalist in the Ramsí coaching search.

On Sunday, Baltimore defensive coordinator-assistant head coach Rex Ryan will undergo a preliminary interview by the Rams in Baltimore. The New York Jets also are interviewing Ryan on Sunday in Baltimore.

League sources also told the Post-Dispatch that the Rams have moved beyond Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz and Tennessee offensive line coach Mike Munchak. The club had expressed some initial interest in both assistant coaches, but has decided to press on instead with its current list of candidates.

But the Rams could still request permission to talk to New York Giants defensive coordinator Steven Spagnuolo if the Giants lose Sundayís NFC divisional playoff game with Philadelphia.

In another development, the Rams also will interview Mike Williams of the San Francisco ***** for the job of director of pro personnel. The move would be part of the Ramsí stated goal of beefing up their pro personnel department. Williams just completed his ninth seasons with the *****, and his fourth as assistant director of pro personnel.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Re: Frazier in finals; Ryan to interview Sunday in Rams job searc

Yes!!! good to here to my man is a finalist and this thing is moving along. Lets just hope he doesn't go to Denver where he is also a finalist with Josh McDaniels. Also good to here we are looking to beef up the personnel department and help out Devaney
    Last edited by 39thebeast; -01-11-2009 at 02:19 AM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

In another development, the Rams also will interview Mike Williams of the San Francisco ***** for the job of director of pro personnel. The move would be part of the Ramsí stated goal of beefing up their pro personnel department. Williams just completed his ninth seasons with the *****, and his fourth as assistant director of pro personnel.
    Hmmm....not like the whiners have had good personnel for the years he's been there. Maybe the director was holding this guy back?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Hmmm....not like the whiners have had good personnel for the years he's been there. Maybe the director was holding this guy back?
    Nodding like Pavlov's dog, right here.

Years of poor personnel decisions crippled the Rams under Shawgmunt, as years of poor personnel decisions crippled the ***** uneder Williams. Certainly, it was not all Williams, the fact that the place has been virtually a coaching carousel the last 9 years has a lot to do with it, but when you have a proven track record of not succeeding under multiple coaches, one has to think that the constant in the unsuccessful equation is Williams and the rest of that FO.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

scratching my head over both the cooled interest in Schwartz and the interest in Williams,Devaney i believe was once on the niners staff for a couple of years...

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

I'll be shouting loud for the Eagles this evening. Spagnuolo is the best candidate for me and whilst I think it unlikely that he comes to the Rams, at least if the Giants lose today then it would take care of the Jets or Denver HC job.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    I'll be shouting loud for the Eagles this evening. Spagnuolo is the best candidate for me and whilst I think it unlikely that he comes to the Rams, at least if the Giants lose today then it would take care of the Jets or Denver HC job.

yeah..even tho it will probably mean Spags credentials being put under increased scrutiny due to the fact that he couldnt contain Westbrook or whatever...its gotta be the best outcome for the Rams..if we sign him or not as you stated.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Interesting that Frazier gets the "bye", it speaks either good things about him, or we're just scared that Denver'll grab him. The problem is, if Denver wants someone, they'll get him, because it's the perfect job opening.

As for my own candidate at this point, Rex Ryan, I'm quite happy to hear that we'll get to interview him this week despite him not being out of the playoffs. If we want a strong, take no crap defense, Ryan's the guy. Add in the fact that a number of his guys are free agents this year and it makes a lot of sense.

I can understand the passing on Schwartz this year as his defense has been a little up and down the last number of years, and his defense didn't come through when it needed to, where not only could they not make Flacco make mistakes, they also gave up three huge passing plays that all led to scores.

As much as I like stealing talent from division foes, I don't know if we really should go to San Fran to get talent evaluators. I've only seen a few really good draft picks out of them, and they've done a whole lot of free agent shopping to find starters, which is a generally bad move in this day and age.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post

I can understand the passing on Schwartz this year as his defense has been a little up and down the last number of years, and his defense didn't come through when it needed to, where not only could they not make Flacco make mistakes, they also gave up three huge passing plays that all led to scores.
    The titans only allowed 13 points to Bal. The raven only gained 211 total yrds compared to tennesees 397. The ravens also only had 9 1st downs compared to tenn 21. I think Schwartz outplayed Ryan in this game, but those turnovers really screwed them, and even still, after turning the ball over 3 times, held them to 13. It wasnt the Defense that lost it for them, it was there mistakes at turning the ball over at times of oppurtunity. The titans beat themselves in that game.

that being said, id be happy with ryan getting the hc spot, just dont know why they are cutting attempts with Schwartz.