Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Frazier gets warm reception

Frazier gets warm reception
    By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

January 14, 2009

As Leslie Frazier returned home from the airport on Wednesday night the Vikings defensive coordinator noted the drastic difference between the temperatures he experienced in Los Angeles (mid-80s) and the sub-zero weather in Minnesota.

Frazier was reminded that if nothing else he had just had a nice two-day vacation. "I hope it's more than a vacation," he said.

Indeed, Frazier hadn't been relaxing on the beach in California. He had spent much of Tuesday and part of Wednesday meeting with St. Louis Rams officials as one of five finalists for that team's head coaching position.

That kept up Frazier's whirlwind pace of late that has seen him reportedly finish as the runner-up to New England offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels for the Broncos job and also has him in the running for the Lions position. Frazier said contrary to reports he does not have a second interview lined up with the Lions.

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported Wednesday that NFL sources said the Rams were impressed with Frazier.

"I felt really good about the interview," Frazier said. "I had no second guesses about, 'Maybe I should have said this or that.' I put everything out there that needed to be out there and now it's a matter of if I'm the right fit for what they're looking for."

Frazier was not required to do a preliminary interview with the Rams in part because St. Louis GM Billy Devaney interviewed him last winter for the then-vacant Falcons job. Mike Smith got the position but Frazier left a good impression on Devaney, who was hired by St. Louis last February.

Frazier will have to wait until the Rams complete interviews before learning if he will be offered the job. The team was scheduled to meet with Dallas offensive coordinator Jason Garrett on Wednesday and will complete the process today by talking to Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo.

Frazier is hoping to hear something as early as Friday. "Patience is definitely key," he said. "I have to wait a couple of more days. But I feel like I put my best foot forward." If Frazier does get the job, he would spend next week at the Senior Bowl trying to put together a coaching staff.

As for getting close to the Broncos job, Frazier said: "It was a good experience to go through and meet Pat and the rest of the people in the organization. It was a great experience. ... But you have to see what's a good fit for me and for them so you can't be totally disappointed if you're not a fit that you didn't take that job."

Frazier's feeling about a job being a good fit isn't new. He talked about it two years ago after taking over as the Vikings defensive coordinator and said Wednesday that no matter what happens he feels he has a very good job in Minnesota.

"I love my job," he said. "I really feel like we are close to taking that next step. We took a step by winning the NFC North and I think we have the pieces in place to build on that unlike some teams that make the playoffs and the next year they are out of it. I don't think that will be the case. We are on the verge of getting this done year in and year out and we have the ability to do that. ... I feel good about my job here."

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Re: Frazier gets warm reception

I love the line where he says hopefully it's not only a vacation. Sounds like he really wants the job, and the more I hear about him I begin to pull for him. I actually feel like I'd rather have him over Spagnuolo now, but either one will do. He has been very impressive and the leadership qualities he obtains can not be overlooked.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rams Head Coach (maybe) Leslie Frazier
    "I hope it's more than a vacation,"
    As do I, sir. As do I.

I really get a good feeling from this guy. He starts a college program from (literally) nothing. Turns that nothing into a championship program. Makes progress with the Eagles secondary, then the Bengals defense. Then after being released from the Bengals (still wondering about what happened there), Tony Dungy hand picks this guy to work with the Colts. They win a Super Bowl and he goes on to lead the Defense in Minny. I really think this guy could be the next Tony Dun...........no, I'm not going to go overboard yet. But I think he could do some good things with the Rams.

Again, I feel good about the finalists, and I'd be okay with most of them as the Coach. But I really think Frazier (w/ Devaney) could right this boat.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

d4nnystl539 is offline Registered User

I like this guy. The article pretty much convinced me he would like to coach in St. Louis, but, I wanna give Spagnuolo a chance to be heard too. I think either will do, but, to hear what they have to say about Spagnuolo is intriguing. Hopefully his interview doesn't go like one if his last ones, where they said he seemed unprepared and was looked down upon. To me, he doesn't look like an unprepared type of person. PROVE THEM WRONG STEVE.
    Last edited by d4nnystl539; -01-15-2009 at 10:50 AM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I am definitely warming up to the idea of Frazier. At this point, I see it as three candidates I would be very happy with (Ryan, Spagnuolo, Frazier) and two that I would be unhappy with (Haslett, Garett).

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

As it stands right now based on what I've heard:

1. Frazier (Impressed the brass in his final interview)
    2. Spags (Hasn't had his final interview yet so still alive)
    3. Haslett (Haven't heard anything concrete that says he's out)
    4. Ryan (I don't think the RAMS can afford to wait for him)
    5. Jason Garrett (He's an OC and we are looking for a defensive minded HC)

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Both the Ravens and Falcons didn't hire their coaches till after the Super Bowl last year so I don't think a time frame is relevant. However, I am a Frazier or Ryan fan. Either one of those would work for me. My question is this though.....since the Rams will probably be sold after next season anyway, does the front office go with Haslett?

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I am definitely warming up to the idea of Frazier. At this point, I see it as three candidates I would be very happy with (Ryan, Spagnuolo, Frazier) and two that I would be unhappy with (Haslett, Garett).

That's where I am at the moment too, but would still prefer Spagnuolo. Can anybody tell me why Frazier left Indy? Was it because he got a promotion to assistant head coach?
    It worries me a little that the guy hasn't settled in one place for long.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    That's where I am at the moment too, but would still prefer Spagnuolo. Can anybody tell me why Frazier left Indy? Was it because he got a promotion to assistant head coach?
    It worries me a little that the guy hasn't settled in one place for long.
    He started at Trinity University as Head Coach
    Moved up to U. of Illnois DB coach
    Moved up to Eagles DB coach
    Moved up to Bengals DC

Identifiable and expected progressions.......but then the Bengals fired him. Why? I can't seem to find an answer to that one. But then......

Hired by Dungy to be Colts DB coach
    Moved up to Vikings DC (current)
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Hired by Dungy to be Colts DB coach
    If I'm not mistaken, he was also assistant headcoach too...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

If it's Frazier, there's no Rush. No one else is going to hire him as a Head coach at this time.

There is NO Competition for him.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, he was also assistant headcoach too...

That's what I thought. It just seems strange to leave Dungy's side when things were going so well. It could have been him rather than Caldwell now in charge at the Colts.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I really get a good feeling from this guy. He starts a college program from (literally) nothing. Turns that nothing into a championship program. Makes progress with the Eagles secondary, then the Bengals defense. Then after being released from the Bengals (still wondering about what happened there), Tony Dungy hand picks this guy to work with the Colts. They win a Super Bowl and he goes on to lead the Defense in Minny. I really think this guy could be the next Tony Dun...........no, I'm not going to go overboard yet. But I think he could do some good things with the Rams.
    I agree HUb. The guy was a savy NFL player who's paid his dues going up the coaching ladder and has made an impact everywhere he's been, producing some dramatic turnarounds. He's ready for the next level and I'd love to see what he could do for the Rams.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    That's what I thought. It just seems strange to leave Dungy's side when things were going so well. It could have been him rather than Caldwell now in charge at the Colts.
    Indy's HC job was given to Caldwell as part of Dungy's extension so there was a ceiling there that he couldn't break through. Caldwell was GM Polian's guy as well as a fav of QB Manning so no insult/criticism implied,I would guess, and the move from DB coach/asst HC to Dungy to DC @ Minn was a move up the coaching foodchain as well.

Apparently he impressed the Minn folks because he was given the greater administrative responsibility/exposure to the HC job after a year there also.

The reasons why he was let go in Cincy are mysterious but it has to be noted that The Bungles are one of the few NFL teams run without a pro GM ( quick: name the others) so he simply may not have got on with owner Mike Brown.The Cincy D got better while he was there & deteriorated after he left so...

For those who have misgivings about the guy's quiet demeanor as perhaps representing someone who lacks the fire/aggressiveness of the other candidates, consider the fact that he has consistently improved takeaways-a lot of 'em returned for TDs at every stop in his career,inc Cincy.

Watching Haz deck a player on the sidelines was fun but I'd rather have a coach who prepares his players so well that they are in position to smack the opposition in the mouth by killing drives with picks and even turning them into points. Substance over style.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I really think this is our guy! Good choice by my reckoning.

Go Rams!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast