Thread: Fred Dryer

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Fred Dryer

Fred Dryer scored two safeties against the Packers during the 1973 season. I was curious if anyone here remembers the game. If so, can you tell us about the safeties?

FYI: The NFL team record for safeties in a game is three, by the Los Angeles Rams against the New York Giants on September 30, 1984.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Re: Fred Dryer

I remember that game I saw it,but the memory is dim as to what transpired.I can remember thinking,I like that Dryer guy hes pretty good,and I'll bet he bcomes a tv star someday in a show called hunter.

I was only 17 back then,and man did I get Tick when the Rams lost even more so then 16 does now.
    I used to get my Football game out,you know that old one that would vibrate and the little plastic players would move all over the board in no specific direction.I used to raise the board up on the Rams side about 20 degrees so they would overwhelm the Cowboys side.It was the Cowboys and Colts that came with the Game so I scratched off the The horse shoes and Painted Ram horns on the Helmuts.Believe it or not.It helped get over the pain of a lose.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I know one thing...trying to find autographed Fred Dryer items around here is hard! I have only found two, both were overpriced, and both looked like forgeries to me.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Fred"Hunter"Dryer, an often over looked Ram defensive standout.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Here's a little something from Dryer.

Talking about the Ram move back east.

Fred said this.

"I hate these people for what they did - taking the Rams logo with them when they moved to St. Louis," says Dryer angrily. "It was bad enough they took the team from Southern California, but it was even worse that they took the Rams logo with them."

"That logo belonged to Southern California. I honestly think if we were able to keep it, it would have speeded up the process for us getting another team. "It's an outrage that she (owner Georgia Frontiere) was able to get away with it. For her to arbitrarily and capriciously take the Rams' logo with her to St. Louis was a heinous crime. The NFL is just as culpable in failing to stop her."

As you might determine, Fred Dryer isn't exactly a passionate advocate of Georgia Frontiere, whom he feuded with in his well-publicized departure from the Los Angeles Rams early in the 1981 season.

Fred Dryer has bittersweet memories of that Super Bowl XIV appearance he made against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Jan. 20, 1980, at the Rose Bowl in a match the Rams wound up losing, 31-19, after entering the final quarter holding a 19-17 advantage.

"Of all the Ram playoff teams I was on - and I think I was on seven of them - it's so ironic that our 1979 one that made it to the Super Bowl probably was the weakest," says Dryer. "But we were experienced, and our coach, Ray Malavasi, realized you had to pass the ball to beat the Steelers."

"I still think to this day that we could have gone to at least three, even four more Super Bowls with the Rams during our Western Division-winning runs during the 1970s had Chuck Knox not put a governor on our offense, a restrictor plate on our carburetor.

Chuck was a terrific organizer and terrific judge of talent. His philosophy was to play mistake-free football on offense and win it on defense.

"And that would work for us during the regular season. But in the playoffs you have to open it up a little because the competition is always top-flight.

His biggest failing was his offensive vision - or rather lack of one. It was a bad thing, and the frustration it engendered among the players would permeate the entire team.

"Well, Ray Malavasi, who was our Super Bowl coach, realized that we were going to have to pass to stand any chance of winning. And that's what we did. Vince Ferragamo had a big game, and our defense was terrific against the Steelers.

"I remember at the end of the third quarter when the teams were switching sides, and I happened to walk by Terry Bradshaw, who said to me, 'I don't know what to do. We can't run against you, and we can't pass against you.'

"We felt the only way we'd lose that game was to make some stupid blunders or allow some big plays.

Well, unfortunately, we allowed a couple of big passing plays. Terry Bradshaw just threw the ball up, and John Stallworth made two incredible catches, one for a 73-yard touchdown and another for a 45-yard gain.

Those catches beat us. Afterward, Bradshaw came up to me and said, 'We were lucky to win this one.' And I have to agree with him. We outplayed the Steelers for three quarters, and then lost on a couple of big plays."

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam
    Fred Dryer scored two safeties against the Packers during the 1973 season. I was curious if anyone here remembers the game. If so, can you tell us about the safeties?

FYI: The NFL team record for safeties in a game is three, by the Los Angeles Rams against the New York Giants on September 30, 1984.
    Here's your answer;

Los Angeles Rams 24, Packers 7 -- Oct. 21, 1973
    Leading just 13-7 going into the fourth quarter, the Rams scored their final four points on an NFL-record two safeties by defensive end Fred Dryer. He blew past tackle Malcolm Snider twice in a 5-minute span to smother first Hunter and then Del Gaizo in the end zone. "I just got beat," a subdued Snider said after the game. "I'm really embarrassed."

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate the information posted.

The remark by Dryer about keeping the Rams name and logo seems hypocritical. After all, the team originally moved from Cleveland.

I never cared for Dryer as an actor. He was no merlin Olsen, let me tell you! lol

I like the photo in RAMMAN68's signature - I have that photo framed and on the wall. I also made a Mcfarlane custom figure set of the sack in the photo. I'll post it in the gallery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

I think Dryer is wrong as well, but note he didn't say the team name, but the logo. The logo, the first of any kind on a football helmet, was invented after the Rams moved to L.A.

I don't like Georgia either, but Carroll Rosenblum left her the team. The merry widow was happy not to respect #6's wishes.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyhater
    I think Dryer is wrong as well, but note he didn't say the team name, but the logo. The logo, the first of any kind on a football helmet, was invented after the Rams moved to L.A.

I don't like Georgia either, but Carroll Rosenblum left her the team. The merry widow was happy not to respect #6's wishes.
    I stand corrected. It would be nice for Georgia to sell the team to Stan Kroenke. I met him once - he seemed pretty level-headed (for as much as you can tell about meeting a person one time).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]