Thread: Fred Miller

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Fred Miller

Assuming Turley doesn't come back(seems doubtful to me)...What do you think about Fred Miller back in a Rams Uni...He's a decent Right Tackle, and already knows the system...Looks like he might be a cap casualty for the Titans this offseason. :ramlogo:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Fred Miller

Sounds good to me, SOG. He's consistent, reliable, has been injury-free, is only 31. I like this idea, bring him back.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

thoey is offline Registered User

But, if he is going to be a salary cap loss to them, what does that mean to our payroll?
    This space for rent...

tanus is offline Registered User

Just because someone is a salary cap casualty does not mean they will break your back. It's like the same situation we might be in with Faulk. He isn't worth the price of his contract anymore. He's still a solid player but is overpaid.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Lovin' it!

general counsel Guest

Bring back Big Jackie if turley cant play.

general counsel

moklerman is offline Registered User

I'm not alone in remembering back in 1999, especially during the playoffs, "God, if we could just get rid of Miller and get a real RT in there..." things would be great. Didn't he continually have false starts and get beat around the outside? Maybe my memory's not that clear on the subject but when I associate Fred Miller with the RT position my instinct is "bad".

Sort of illustrates nicely the state of affairs of the current line when FM is considered an upgrade and/or fix.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by moklerman
    I'm not alone in remembering back in 1999, especially during the playoffs, "God, if we could just get rid of Miller and get a real RT in there..." things would be great. Didn't he continually have false starts and get beat around the outside? Maybe my memory's not that clear on the subject but when I associate Fred Miller with the RT position my instinct is "bad".

Sort of illustrates nicely the state of affairs of the current line when FM is considered an upgrade and/or fix.
    I guess it's all relative, Mok. The St. Clair experiment and Grant Williams are my current level of insuffecient RTs. IIRC, Miller was better than either of those two guys.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

I'd rather add youth, to be honest with you. There has to be some point when we start counter-balancing the age of this offensive line.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Miller got progressively better in the 99 season and had such a good game in the SB vs the Titans that they picked him up and have had him ever since. He is a major upgrade over Williams and a proven commodity. Plus he's proven to be durable which is something to keep in mind especially in the light of the Turley situation. We don't exactly have a very good track record gaugeing Lineman as draft picks the last few years

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey
    We don't exactly have a very good track record gaugeing Lineman as draft picks the last few years
    We don't exactly go after the upper echelon offensive line talent in the draft, either. When was the last time we spent a first day pick on a lineman? I think his name is Orlando Pace. We can't just keep drafting guys in the fourth and fifth round for the O-line and think they're going to have the talent to play in this offensive system.

I was refering to def and off linemen...If we can't seem to pick the right D-lineman...how will o-line be any different...Do the Patriots have any top pick lineman? How do they seem to get it to work?

rampete is offline Registered User

if you please, some of you guys in support of bringing in miller should go to the titans boards and ask their fan members...i got the distinct impression that he's one of the reasons why mcnair is getting pounded to early retirement...

Sorry then. I assumed that since this was a thread about an O-lineman and the rest of your post was about the o-line, that you were referring to the offensive line with that last comment.