Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By general counsel

Thread: Free Agency/ Draft Blog #1

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

Free Agency/ Draft Blog #1

On Tuesday, all hell will break loose, as NFL teams rush to sign the hottest free agents
    to fill their greatest needs. Many teams are in great shape, cap wise, though some usual free
    spenders have had to cut veterans to get cap room, and also face serious contract issues with
    their best players. It is the best time to be an agent.

Once the smoke dies down, there will be lots of older veterans and young up and comers to add
    when things get more reasonable. This is probably the place where the Rams will reside, though
    the moves they have made and will be making to clear cap, including parting ways with Danny
    Amendola and Seven Jackson, and at some point Quentin Mikell, seem to indicate another quick
    strike on at least one player.

Jeff Fisher and Les Snead no doubt have done their own mock drafts, and see the same thing that I
    do about where the first and second round help the Rams will get in April will fall, as far as positions
    they could see filling early.

Though there will no doubt me some wild card pick in the top 15, at this point the top tier is pretty
    evident,barring some health or character concern. The way team needs lie in that first half of round
    one fits very nicely with the player rankings, which could mean fewer deals early.

Here are my pre-free agency takes:

The player who falls to the Rams at 16 is going to depend on one player, QB Geno Smith. If he goes
    top 15 as expected, possibly to the Cardinals at 7, the players most likely to fall to the Rams with value
    at that pick are Alabama Guard Chance Warmack, FSU DE Bjoern Werner, FSU Corner Xavier Rhodes, LSU
    OLB Barkevious Mingo, Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, and Cal WR Keenan Allen.

Mingo is a 3-4 buy, and the Rams probably would not be looking at Werner, who is another big wild card early.

Ogletree has off field issues that would make him less attractive, and isn't a big LB.

The big key to Allen is his health, his knee in particular, and whether the Rams think he might fall as far as
    #22, where they could get him AND Warmack.

If Rhodes doesn't go to Tampa Bay or the Saints, both in dire need at CB, the Rams would have to look at him
    as well, especially since he could project at FS.

In the end, knowing that they will get no chance at the top OT, and the best RB isn't a top 16 guy, and knowing
    they won't be signing a guard in free agency, I've gott just take Warmack, who many said is the best player in
    the draft.

I can still come back and get Allen, Robert Woods, or maybe Tacon Austin at #22, if not a safety.

That means the Rams have to get offensive tackle help in free agency, and I mean a star, whether he is
    just a RT or whether he can play the left side. Then they still should draft one, whenever a value guy is there after round one.

I think they will again go free agnecy route for a "Sam" LB, as those guys are always out there, and they could go with an older veteran.

I think they will go hard after Tennessee TE Jared Cook, and if they don't get him, Dustin Keller .

I see OT, S, and TE as their top targets.

I don't see them putting money into RBs, so they will just go latrer in the draft, with a guy like Texas A&M enigmatic stud Christine Michael in round three.

As far as receiver, they start with Givens, Pettis and Quick, and they add one cheaper veteran, one high draft pick, and another like Ryan Swope in round two or three, if they don't go RB.

With their late picks, I could see RB, TE, CB, OLB, DT, or even a QB.

Here's my early mock draft
    1. K.C. S. Luteleilei DT - They franchised B. Albert, who says he has to play LT, and Luke Joeckel is just not Orlando Pace or Walter Jones.

2. Jacksonville : Sharif Floyd DT - Keeping former Gator in Florida sells tickets, even if he IS from Philly, and you better get to the QB AND stop the run in that division.

3. Oakland - Luke Joeckel - OT - The Raiders always a wild card, but even Al Davis knew the value of a solid LT. G. Smith would be the wild card here.

4. Phil. - Eric Fisher - OT - Chip Kelly will be tempted to take his guy, LB Dion Jordan, but I think in the ned , the need is too great to protect Vick, or Foles.

5. Detroit - Dee Milliner CB - It's either the CB or DE E. Ansah, a tough choice.

6. Cleveland - Lb Dion Jordan - It's either him or Jarvis Jones for the 3-4.

7. Arizona - QB Geno Smith - You never know with the Cards though. Could go OT or DT.

8. Buffalo - LB J. Jones - Again just a great fit. WOuld go with Jordan if Jones gone.
    I think they wait for QB and WR to round two.

9. Jets - LB/DE Ezekial Ansah - They could use a WR, but no way Rex can get past this beast.

10. Tenn. G Jon Cooper - Could also go OT, maybe even DL. with Richardson.
    11. S.D. - OT L. Johnson - No need for ANY team bigger than Chargers at OT, and they
    could even deal up to be sure and get one if they don't in free agency.

12. Miami - WR Cordarelle Patterson - Gotta get some pizazz back, and losing Bush will
    leave KR hole. Could surprise here with Tavon Austin.

13. T.B. - DT Sheldon Richardson -The Bucs need cornerbacks, BAD, but they could go best athlete, and that would be Sheldon Richardson by far here.

14. Car. - DE Bjoern Werner - Top college sack artists fits, but they could also go with Warmack or Xavier Rhodes, or even a WR like Austin, to replace smallish Steve Smith.

15. N.O. - CB X. Rhodes It's gonna 100% be defense here, and with the best pass rush guys gone except LSU's Mingo, and no need at guard for Warmack, they go CB in a passing division. This pick will be ripe for a trade.

16. Rams - Chance Warmack - just by far the BAA and surest star left.

17. Pittsburgh - OLB Barkevious Mingo - Latest 3-4 stud to fall to Steelers.
    Might go RB E. Lacey here if he shines in works.

18. Dallas - Sylvester Williams DT - Dallas D needs help, and could go DB here too.
    WIld card here is SMU DL Margus Hunt

19. NYG - LB A. Ogletree - Tough DUI laws in NY make this risky, but need is clear.

20. Chicago - TE Tyler Eifert - They might think about Manto Te'o, but another Notre Damer fits well. He's from Ft Wayne Indiana, so he won't be far from home, and he probably is a Bears fan.

21. Cincy - DE DaMontre Moore - Bengals have big need for pass rushers. Another pick that could be dealt.

22. Rams - WR K. Allen - I think need meets value here, if they don't trade down to beginning round two to add a high 3rd. Could go T' Austin, R. Woods, D Hopkins here if they like one better than Allen if Allen hurt. The top safties are in play here too, as are a couple OT. Big sleeper would be the Armstead kid at Pine Bluff, a local kid from Cahokia Il. .

Barry Waller

general counsel is online now Registered User

Re: Free Agency/ Draft Blog #1

Barry, could you articulate your concerns about Fluker (when you say we have no shot at a top OT). Not criticizing, just very interested in your evaluation, especially at 22 since i would be thrilled beyond belief to get warmack at 16 (and would also be thrilled with cooper if warmack was gone).

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    MauiRam likes this.

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

All I have to say about Fluker is "Barry Richardson". Fluker has the same risk factor that Richardson had, and actually Richardson is a bit quicker than Fluker. I actually prefer T. Armstead, Kyle Long, and maybe even Pugh, to Fluker, and I really believe the Rams will sign a starting tackle in free agency, knowing that other options to Fluker will be the way to go.

Also, for the cap money that #1 pick will cost, you could get a solid veteran OT out of the bunch on the market now. That's especially true of RT.

If they don't sign a guy, and the draft breaks bad and t hey deal down, maybe t hey take a look at Fluker, but the risk factor is just too large for a #1 pick.

In our division, the Niners especially would exploit a big RT. 3-4 teams with fast pass rushers on both sides would really pose a problem.

Fluker also played on a team of superstars, including their line, which may make him look better too.

We'll find out really quickly if OT is where the Rams want to spend their cap space, cause those guys will go quickly next week.

Even if they don't get one, I still go with one of the top three WR at 22, and with whoever drops that is a top 15 rated guy. It looks like Warmack could be that guy, or maybe Rhodes
    Barry Waller

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

To add to the conversation about Fluker. I have yet to see a mock draft that has Fluker going in round 1 to any team other than us. That tells me his value isn't there for round 1. He is exclusively a RT, which diminishes his value. You don't even hear analysts suggest that he can kick inside to Guard. That leads to my final point that his feet are slow and/or his weight may be an issue. I feel there may be better options for us at the OL positions. And by the way, I've read Cooper is a better pass protector than Warmack who excels in the run game. Makes sense given the programs they come from respectively.

Go Rams!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    To add to the conversation about Fluker. I have yet to see a mock draft that has Fluker going in round 1 to any team other than us.
    Of the most recent mocks I could find...

Charles Davis (NFL.com) has him going to Dallas @ 18.

Bucky Brooks (NFL.com), Dane Brugler (CBS Sports), and Todd McShay (ESPN) both project him to Cincinnati @ 21.

Gil Brandt (NFL.com) puts him @ 13 to Tampa Bay.

Mel Kiper's (ESPN) latest mock is a month old but has Fluker going to Chicago @ 20. So do Russ Lande (National Football Post) and Peter Schrager (Fox Sports).

Rob Rang (CBS Sports) has Fluker going to Baltimore @ 32.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-09-2013 at 04:06 PM.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    If they don't sign a guy, and the draft breaks bad and t hey deal down, maybe they take a look at Fluker, but the risk factor is just too large for a #1 pick.

In our division, the Niners especially would exploit a big RT. 3-4 teams with fast pass rushers on both sides would really pose a problem.
    So Fluker is a mauler when it comes to run blocking, and a liability when pass blocking? Are his feet too slow to be coached up against speed rushers?

We've seen all we want to see of Sam running for his life or worse - getting mobbed before he has a chance to run. Must say though that protection was better in the latter half of the season.

Do you really think there is a chance Warmack will drop way down Barry?

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Waller View Post
    All I have to say about Fluker is "Barry Richardson". Fluker has the same risk factor that Richardson had, and actually Richardson is a bit quicker than Fluker. I actually prefer T. Armstead, Kyle Long, and maybe even Pugh, to Fluker, and I really believe the Rams will sign a starting tackle in free agency, knowing that other options to Fluker will be the way to go.

Also, for the cap money that #1 pick will cost, you could get a solid veteran OT out of the bunch on the market now. That's especially true of RT.

If they don't sign a guy, and the draft breaks bad and t hey deal down, maybe t hey take a look at Fluker, but the risk factor is just too large for a #1 pick.

Fluker also played on a team of superstars, including their line, which may make him look better too.

We'll find out really quickly if OT is where the Rams want to spend their cap space, cause those guys will go quickly next week.

Even if they don't get one, I still go with one of the top three WR at 22, and with whoever drops that is a top 15 rated guy. It looks like Warmack could be that guy, or maybe Rhodes
    Boy, I hope your right and we draft Warmack. He is the only linemen(GUARD) Ive watched so far, who blew me away. Looks like a match made in heaven for our running game, especially around the goal line.!