Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Free-Agency Dreaming...

With the free-agency coming up next year, who are your dream players to come to this team right now?

I'd say Adalius Thomas would be good to have... (Nick...don't kill me on a response!! )

And Asante Samuel...I like the guy a lot.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

Re: Free-Agency Dreaming...

Adalius Thomas is a good player, but at the moment i only see him being a DE for the Rams

I would rather have Pisa and Spoon on the outside and bring in someone to play the middle

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

I live in the DC area and the Capitol of big spending on free agents. All the spending and the Redskins suck.

Here's a thought maybe we should model are team like the recent dynasty and look for veteran free agents to help but draft youthful talent.

Just my 2 cents

tomahawk247 is online now Registered User

but Adalius Thomas is considered one of the best, if not the best, of Baltimore's defensive players

he would be a major buy if we got him, and would help the team
    however i woud much rather sign a smaller name player to fill the need, im actually disappointed we couldnt sign Bart Scott last year. He isnt a huge name but is a very steady MLB

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

One guy I don't want to spend big bucks on - Dwight Freeney.

Yes, he's a premiere pass rusher and would be great in tandem with Leonard Little, but if you look at the Colts run D, its clear he's not going to solve that problem for the Rams.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    One guy I don't want to spend big bucks on - Dwight Freeney.

Yes, he's a premiere pass rusher and would be great in tandem with Leonard Little, but if you look at the Colts run D, its clear he's not going to solve that problem for the Rams.
    Agree 10000%. It's hard to imagine the Rams run defense getting worse, but I definitely don't think it gets any better spending tens of millions of dollars to bring in Freeney. That's why I like Charles Grant and Justin Smith as much cheaper and much better fits for us as veteran free agent DEs.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

general counsel is offline Registered User

I also agree on freeney. His production is down this year and i dont see him getting better as he gets older. To me, pass rush is our most important need, more important than run stopping, but if you are going to pay big money, you cant afford to get a one dimensional guy.

Another way to look at it. I dont under any circumstances want to overpay for positional need. That is a sure way to get killed cap wise in the nfl. We have multiple needs. I dont want to overpay at defensive end if we can get a much better value on a proven player at linebacker and/or offensive guard.

There is no magic bullet for the rams. As Mr. Horns pointed out, it hasnt worked for the redskins and it wont work for anyone else without being able to draft,develop and retain quality young guys.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

viper is offline Registered User

With our inability to stop the run or get pressure without blitzing, wouldn't you consider a quality DT or nose tackle a big need? Our guys just aren't getting it done. Is a DE really the place to start? If so, why?

bruce4life is offline Registered User

i would love to see justin smith on our team because he would bring back that grant wistrom presence

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Is a DE really the place to start? If so, why?
    It would seem to me the available talent at defensive end in the free agent pool is better than the available talent at defensive tackle.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Off the top of my head, I'll take Charles Grant and Adalius Thomas. Those two would go the farthest to fixing our run D problems.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It would seem to me the available talent at defensive end in the free agent pool is better than the available talent at defensive tackle.
    Do you really think our run D can improve if we don't address the DT position through FA?

Quote Originally Posted by RamFan_Til_I_Die View Post
    Do you really think our run D can improve if we don't address the DT position through FA?
    Well first of all the run defense hinges on more than just the DT position. By signing a talented starting DE, you'd be helping the run defense as well.

But I certainly don't think it's going to improve by overpaying for a mediocre defensive tackle because we feel we HAVE to address the position and thus overrate someone on the market.

This team needs a stud DT in the middle of the line to command double teams and clog up rushing lanes, and having viewed some of the names scheduled to hit the market, I guess I don't see the player that's going to consistently shore up the inside of our line.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

My dream free agents are Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs, Justin Smith or Adalius Thomas and then Rams take a DT in round 1.

So if the do manage to get Asante Samuel, Would Brown or Hill lose their starting jobs? Travis Fisher is going to free agency and I dont think he'll come back.

If rams get him, I would move Brown to FS to replace Atogwe and start Samuel and Hill at CB and keep Chavous at SS. IMO thats one good secondary!

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan4ever View Post
    My dream free agents are Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs, Justin Smith or Adalius Thomas and then Rams take a DT in round 1.

So if the do manage to get Asante Samuel, Would Brown or Hill lose their starting jobs? Travis Fisher is going to free agency and I dont think he'll come back.

If rams get him, I would move Brown to FS to replace Atogwe and start Samuel and Hill at CB and keep Chavous at SS. IMO thats one good secondary!
    ...huh?

The Rams would be wasting big time money by signing Samuel, to begin with. While this is a dream scenario thread, it almost sounds like you want the suggestion to be realistically considered due to your second paragraph. The play of the secondary has not been good, but you can't go out and spend big bucks on a corner with the kind of holes we have to fill in the front seven.

Even if you consider Samuel though, moving Brown to free safety doesn't make much sense either. Not only is he undersized for the safety position, but putting him back there away from the line as a center fielder basically wastes the talent he has as a physical corner at the line of scrimmage. Furthermore I don't think the move upgrades our run support abilities at the safety position either. So I guess I'm at a loss as to why that'd be a move the Rams should make.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast