Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Free-Agency Dreaming...

None of the available defensive tackles are any better than ryan pickett and they are going to command as much or more money, most more, than pickett got.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

i didnt realise Charles Grant could be an FA

he is probably one of the more likely buys, what with Haslett being his former coach. He would also be a very good buy, and would create a good strong pair of DEs.

I dont see us going after Briggs or Thomas, just because we have two very good OLBs on the books for the next five or so years anyway (what with Spoon likely moving to the outside next year). Its more likely that we go after a large, strong MLB. Someone who is good against the run.

DTs could still be a problem, but i think Kennedy will still be starting next year unless something happens. Wroten would likely push Glover, but i dont really see us adding to the position, what with the number of draft picks and Free Agents we have bought in to try and fix it.

What i do see us doing is investing in another safety. When Arch was in his prime we had a fairly good run defense because of his presence in the box. Chavous doesnt give that kind of support, and although he is better in coverage i still think we need an upgrade.

CRAZYHORNS is offline Registered User

The problem is most people have no clue who are the big impact DT. They have the job of doing the dirty work and getting no credit. They plug up the middle taking on 2 or 3 O Lineman at a time and let the DE's, LB's, and secondary make the tackles and sacks.

I watch as much football as I possibly can on Sunday and could not tell you who the best DT in the league are? Sure I can throw out some names I've heard over and over again such as Sapp (past his prime). But think about it how many more DT do we actually know outside of the Rams?

Defensive Ends get the glory and it's very easy to fall short and seek out these guys but if you really want to make an impact in the running game you better start on the line in the middle.......

Just my 2 cents

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYHORNS View Post
    Defensive Ends get the glory and it's very easy to fall short and seek out these guys but if you really want to make an impact in the running game you better start on the line in the middle.......
    So who do you sign then? As I said earlier to RamFan_Til_I_Die, having viewed some of the names scheduled to hit the market at the defensive tackle position, I don't see the player that's going to consistently shore up the inside of our line at the level we need. So instead of signing one decent DT and one decent end, why not sign one really good end and then try to address DT elsewhere?

Many of us, myself included, thought the Rams were making an intelligent move by signing Claiborne and Coakley to address two positions instead of spending bigger bucks on someone like Pierce or Hartwell to only address one. In that instance, the two-player strategy didn't work out, and I suspect if we do the same thing here by signing a decent DT and DE rather than a very good DE, we'll similarly get burned simply because we need a stud talent to anchor the middle of that D-line. Unless we magically find some kind of great rotation between Kennedy and another moderate player, we're going to fall short.
    Last edited by Nick; -12-01-2006 at 10:56 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

if you get excellent DEs, very good OLBs and then a stud run stuffing MLB, you wont need better then we have at DT, especially if we get a very talented SS

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    if you get excellent DEs, very good OLBs and then a stud run stuffing MLB, you wont need better then we have at DT, especially if we get a very talented SS
    Yeah, but...the risk of injuries to one of those players are way too significant for me. I don't want to have a defense that relies on basically one person to get the run stuffed in the backfield, and then if that guy goes down, the regular D that we should've tried to get in the off-season (DT's) is not there, and we go back to this season and last season's horrific run defense.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    The way that MLBs become "stud run stuffing" MLBs is because the DT position keeps the offense off of them so they have free reign and can make great plays. So we would need to upgrade at DT if we really want to keep our LBs freed up.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

Alec22 is offline Registered User

They need to get briggs IMO. Keep spoon in the middle, with a healty pisa and lance briggs and we have a very solid LB core.

Then go to the draft and get the best defensive player availible.

Also i would like samuel (brown has gotten worse since coming back and would much rather see him at #3 hill 2 and samuel 1) but i dont think we will have the money after bulger.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    The way that MLBs become "stud run stuffing" MLBs is because the DT position keeps the offense off of them so they have free reign and can make great plays. So we would need to upgrade at DT if we really want to keep our LBs freed up.
    I remember Ray Lewis complaining about not having a dt and saying they are an Lb's best friend. I agree that we need a good run sto[pping DT, granted we are far from the ravens... But prehaps we could entertain a trade for a henderson or someone with a big presence but not a huge huge demand $$. Maybe a cap casualty would come about??

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737 View Post
    But prehaps we could entertain a trade for a henderson or someone with a big presence but not a huge huge demand $$.
    John Henderson of the Jags? He just signed a six year deal this spring, so I doubt he's going anywhere.

GameTime is offline Registered User

I may be wrong, but isnt kevin williams from minnesota a free agent. That guy is huge and plays DT.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    I may be wrong, but isnt kevin williams from minnesota a free agent. That guy is huge and plays DT.
    That would be pretty damn kickass.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by GameTime View Post
    Signed through 2009.

Pat Williams is signed through 2007 as well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12