RamWraith is offline Registered User

Free agent Rice was quick to make a mark

Defensive end had three sacks against Colts
    BY STEVE KORTE
    News-Democrat
    ST. LOUIS - Getting three sacks in the St. Louis Rams' preseason opener was definitely an attention-grabber for rookie defensive end Matthew Rice.

"Anytime I turn a corner, I hear something about a sack or sackmaster," Rice said. "It's funny because I'm a humble guy. I'm constantly hearing it.

"They say when you get to the league, you get a big head. While everybody's pumping my head up. I'm trying to lay low, and everybody keeps saying things about the sacks."

As Rice was conducting his first interview of training camp, Rams running back Steven Jackson got in a quick jab as he walked into the team's lunch room.

"It was all luck," Jackson shouted before ducking through the doorway.

Rice got all three of his sacks in the second half of the Rams' 19-17 win over the Indianapolis Colts on Thursday night. He was working with the team's third-string defense against the Colts' third-string offense.

"He had a good showing in his first game," Rams coach Scott Linehan said of Rice. "That's what is great about the preseason. It was primarily the (third-string) out there against their (third-string), and he certainly showed he belonged. He produced.

"This is a who-produces-and-who-doesn't-produce business."

Rice, 24, said his family in the Baltimore, Md., was excited after watching his big night on television.

"I spent more time talking on the phone than I did actually playing," Rice said. "Everybody was pretty pumped up."

Rice said he's had three sacks previously in a game, but he couldn't recall the specifics.

"I have a short-term memory, man," Rice said. "In high school and college, I had similar games."

The 6-foot-3, 256-pound Rice had 23 sacks, including 10 as a senior, in high school, and 17 sacks in 44 games while playing at Penn State.

Rice was expecting a call during the 2006 NFL draft, but it never came. He ended up signing as an undrafted free agent with the Buffalo Bills, but was cut, and subsequently signed by the Rams on the first day of training camp.

"It was a surprise," Rice said of going undrafted. "It was something I just dealt with. I've learned from life experiences. Not being drafted, it made me focus more on things off the field. It made me get my business going off the field."

Rice is an artist who recently started his own business, "Mateo Blu." The name is combination of his first name in spanish and his nickname of "Blue."

"What I love to do is oil paint more than anything," Rice said. "My style is not really defined because I keep changing up.

"I do anything from portraits to sports paintings to abstract (paintings) to political type of views."

Rice said his business is currently on hold as he chases his NFL dream.

"I'm an artist, so I have to produce art," Rice said. "I can't produce art when we are doing two-a-days."

Rice realizes that he's a long way from earning a spot on the Rams' regular-season roster.

"Just do all I can do," Rice said of how he can earn a job with the Rams. "Practice hard. Make adjustments with any mistakes I make.

"I've decided to take each day as a new day. Being a free agent, there is no guarantee that you'll have a next day practicing."

Rams notes

Strong safety Corey Chavous and middle linebacker Will Witherspoon were both excused from practice on Saturday. Chavous was attending the funeral of a family member, while Witherspoon was with his pregant wife who was at the hospital having labor induced... Left guard Richie Incognito sat out practice because of an upper respiratory infection... The team will practice from 3:15-5:15 p.m. today at Rams Park. The practice is open to the public.

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Re: Free agent Rice was quick to make a mark

I was impressed with his performance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

onslaught11 is offline Registered User

I too was impressed with his outing. I need to see how he does against the 2nd string next week. If he is the real deal, I say the Rams keep 5 DE. If they let him go, they might regret it when Little's production starts going down.
    We will create such an onslaught against humanity that our enemies will take generations before ever thinking of attacking us again.
    -- General William Jauro-Smythe Killan
    before the battle of Tupiero Do
    :angryram:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

When he starts doing this against a higher level of competition, I'll be impressed. If he'd been whipping Tarik Glenn or Ryan Diem for 3 sacks, then great.....but, rookies Michael Toudouze and Charlie Johnson???......eh, not so much.

Hopefully, he bought himself a little extra time to impress.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod