RamWraith is offline Registered User

Frerotte at 36: Happy, and effective, as No. 2 QB

By Bill Coats
    08/07/2007 7:13 pm

Second-team quarterback Gus Frerotte threw just three passes last season, all against the ***** on Nov. 26 after Marc Bulger was injured. Frerotte completed only one toss – but it was a big one.

His 27-yard strike to wide receiver Kevin Curtis with 3 seconds remaining in the half put the Rams in position for Jeff Wilkins’ 51-yard field goal. It gave them a 13-7 lead en route to a 20-17 victory.

The 36-year-old Frerotte, who is preparing for his 14th NFL season, is exactly what coach Scott Linehan wants in a backup QB: a veteran who accepts his role and performs when called upon.

“In that San Fran game, he took off his (baseball) hat and threw a laser,” Linehan recalled. “That arm doesn’t take long to warm up. That’s the great advantage about having such an experienced backup with the ability level that he still has.”

Frerotte, who figures to get extended work Friday at Minnesota in the preseason opener, has “looked great” during training camp, Linehan said.

The national media tour continues at Rams Park. On hand for Tuesday’s practice was Michael Silver, the former Sports Illustrated writer who recently moved to yahoo.com. He and his father, Steve Silver, are visiting several NFL training camps in the Midwest.

Notes from Day 11 of training camp:

>>Because he has a sore hip, DT LaRoi Glover’s workload has been lessened at practice.

>>WR/KR Dante Hall reports that his hamstring is feeling much better, boosting his chances of suiting up Friday vs. the Vikings.

>>Newly signed WR Fred Gibson was on the practice field. Gibson, 6-4 and 202, was a fifth-round draft pick in ’05 out of Georgia. He spent the last two years on Miami’s practice squad, then was released and signed by Atlanta. The Falcons cut him July 28.

>>After reaching an injury settlement with the club, WR Lamart Barrett, an undrafted rookie who was sidelined with a dislocated shoulder, was released to make room for Gibson.

>>Could Mark Anelli’s strong showing in camp be putting pressure on veteran Aaron Walker for a roster spot at TE? Or, will the team even carry a fourth TE behind Randy McMichael, Joe Klopfenstein and Dominique Byrd? Still too early to tell.

>>Practice was inside again because of the heat. Wednesday morning’s practice will be mostly a walk-through, and the second practice has been moved to the afternoon from the evening. Practices remain closed to the public.

Did you know:

>>RB Kay-Jay Harris played minor-league baseball for three years? Harris, a center fielder drafted out of high school by the Texas Rangers, never hit higher than .224 in Class A and decided to return to football.

>>CB Lenny Walls and his twin brother, Kenny, both went to Boston College? While Lenny toiled on the gridiron, Kenny played forward for the basketball team.

>>In 2002, LB Chris Draft pulled a man out of a burning car after a wreck on an interstate in Georgia, saving his life? Draft was playing for the Atlanta Falcons then.

All for now . .

Keenum is offline Registered User

Re: Frerotte at 36: Happy, and effective, as No. 2 QB

The story about draft reminds me of Cam Cleeland, our backup TE in 2004 who ended up having the game winning catch against the Seahawks in the playoffs. He pulled somebody out of a buring vehicle a while back, but I know the person did not survive.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Did you know:

>>RB Kay-Jay Harris played minor-league baseball for three years? Harris, a center fielder drafted out of high school by the Texas Rangers, never hit higher than .224 in Class A and decided to return to football.

>>CB Lenny Walls and his twin brother, Kenny, both went to Boston College? While Lenny toiled on the gridiron, Kenny played forward for the basketball team.

>>In 2002, LB Chris Draft pulled a man out of a burning car after a wreck on an interstate in Georgia, saving his life? Draft was playing for the Atlanta Falcons then.
    Interesting stuff...I didn't know any of that.

majorram is offline Registered User

I'm sorry but everytime I think of GUS I think when he was a Redskin and he headbutted that board when he scored a TD, and was out with neck injuries, just makes me laugh!!..... I'm still laughing as I write!!

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"