RamWraith is offline Registered User

Frerotte goes from the goat to Rams hero

By HAL PILGER
    STAFF WRITER

Published Wednesday, December 05, 2007

ST. LOUIS — After his goal-line fumble cost the St. Louis Rams a chance to beat Seattle a week ago Sunday, quarterback Gus Frerotte said he would be thinking about that bobbled snap all night.

“You feel you let the guys down because you feel you had an opportunity to win the game there,” Frerotte said.

Turns out he thought about it all week, and he was determined to make up for it as soon as he could.

Starting in place of Marc Bulger, who was recovering from a week-old concussion, Frerotte came out Sunday against one of the NFL’s top-10 pass defenses and put up a first-half performance against the Atlanta Falcons that will be hard to forget.

Frerotte completed a Kurt Warner-in-his-prime-like 15 of 20 passes for 230 yards, three touchdowns and no interceptions en route to a quarterback rating of 152.1 and a 21-0 halftime lead. And this time the 3-9 Rams overcame some second-half hiccups to prevail 28-16 for their first home victory of the season.

“After everything we have been through all year, it was really a team win,” Frerotte said. “Everybody had a part in it. It was just real nice to go out and get a victory at home.”

Rams coach Scott Linehan praised Frerotte as much for how he handled himself after the devastating defeat as for how he handled himself against the Falcons.

“The No. 1 thing I respect about him is the kind of person he is,” Linehan said, “the way he stood up a week ago after the way we finished the game. He came out (at practice) and didn’t know anything about what was going to happen this week and continued to look ahead and look forward to this game and played extremely well.

“He had a couple miscues but played well enough for us to win. He was the winning quarterback today, so it just goes to show you what kind of a top-notch individual he is — on top of he was able to have his 100th (career) touchdown pass. There’s not a lot of guys that can say they’ve done that in this league, either.”

Admittedly, the Falcons were heavily concentrating on stopping Steven Jackson on the ground. Even so, how was Frerotte able to amass such amazing passing numbers in the first half? Having all week to work with his first-team receivers didn’t hurt. The previous week, Frerotte didn’t take a snap with the first unit.

“Yeah, that really helps, getting snaps with them,” Frerotte said. “You can study the game plan, and you can watch film and all that, but when you do it in practice you get much more rhythm.

“Our line played great as well. I didn’t really get a lot of pressure when I was throwing the ball,” added Frerotte, who was sacked only once, during the second half. “It is just one of those things; you get in a zone. The line was protecting great, and when you get time to throw it and get time to see the field, most guys in this league can be pretty accurate.”

It also doesn’t hurt to have a couple of All-Pro receivers like Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt making outstanding catches on the other end. Each a caught touchdown pass — Bruce with one hand — and tight end Randy McMichael added a third.

So Frerotte, while willing to accept the blame in defeat a week earlier, was just as willing to deflect praise for a win to his teammates. But those teammates were impressed by the veteran backup-turned-starter.

“Yeah, it was good to see,” Holt said. “He had a great week of practice. Gus has been in this offense for a while, so he understands the structure of the offense — where things are supposed to go, where guys are supposed to be, when they are supposed to be there.

“I think he wanted to come out today and prove himself (after) the disappointing finish last week, and I thought he did a very good job of doing that, along with the rest of this football team. We were more in sync with him today, which I thought was great.

“I thought (working with him) all week in practice set a good tone for us,” added Holt, who shrugged off a sore knee to work on their timing and finished with six catches for 135 yards and a TD. “It was just one of those days where we were hitting and hitting it early.”

Added Linehan, “I was proud of the way he came out and competed. He really came out and gave us a spark and really had only two bad throws in the second half.”

While conceding Frerotte’s two second-half interceptions were critical errors, Linehan pointed out, “As a team we overcame them this time, and we hadn’t been able to do that earlier in the year.

“Quarterbacks are always going to take a lot of heat when things don’t go well, and in last week’s game Gus accepted that,” Linehan said. “The standup competitor that he is, and person, I think I respect that more than his right arm.”

As for the team’s continuing struggles after halftime, Frerotte may have figured out an answer.

“If we could just not come into the locker room at halftime, I think it would be great,” Frerotte joked.

After the first half he had Sunday, it’s easy to see why he’d want to stay on the field.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Re: Frerotte goes from the goat to Rams hero

I liked him better as the goat.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Hal Pilger is a fanboi. I can no longer say that Gus is the worst QB in the NFL (Thank God), but he still is a long way from 'Hero'. He has thrown for almost 1000 yards, but has 7 TD's and 11 INT's and his season QB rating is 62.4. Yes he had a great first half and won the game, but I am still not pleased that he is on this team. GoGus! GoRams!

itsguud is offline Registered User

How does beating the Falcons make someone a hero? Thats jumping the snap a little there I think.

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By HAL PILGER
    STAFF WRITER

Published Wednesday, December 05, 2007

ST. LOUIS —

Starting in place of Marc Bulger, who was recovering from a week-old concussion, Frerotte came out Sunday against one of the NFL’s top-10 pass defenses and put up a first-half performance against the Atlanta Falcons that will be hard to forget.

Admittedly, the Falcons were heavily concentrating on stopping Steven Jackson on the ground. Even so, how was Frerotte able to amass such amazing passing numbers in the first half? Having all week to work with his first-team receivers didn’t hurt. The previous week, Frerotte didn’t take a snap with the first unit.

“Our line played great as well. I didn’t really get a lot of pressure when I was throwing the ball,” added Frerotte, who was sacked only once, during the second half. “It is just one of those things; you get in a zone. The line was protecting great, and when you get time to throw it and get time to see the field, most guys in this league can be pretty accurate.”
    I was at the game and Frerotte had all day in the pocket. Why? The Falcons were playing run defense primarily. They're approach to our offense was that didn't want Jackson going off.

Although Frerotte had a very impressive 1st half. He came back to earth in the 2nd half throwing 2 picks.

Like in the NHL my 3 stars of the game were:

1. Steven Jackson- He ended up with 20 carries for 96 yards and 1 TD. Also had 4 receptions for 71 yards. 19 times Jackson ran into the Falcons brick wall for an average of 2.42 yards per carry. Finally getting some excellent blocking he broke the 50 yard romp for a TD to ice the game.

2. Will Witherspoon- 5 tackles, 1 sack- The stats don't show it but this guy was all over the place.

3. Chris Draft- 4 tackles, 1 sack- Again the stats don't show it but Draft was another defender that seemed like he was always around the ball.