Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Frerotte will start; Hagans to return kicks

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/10/2007

Gus Frerotte came out with the starting offense today in practice, and team sources say he will be the Rams’ starting quarterback Sunday in Baltimore.

As a result, Marc Bulger gets another week to let his broken ribs heal.

Meanwhile, Marques Hagans suddenly is the Rams’ No. 3 wide receiver, as well as the team’s No. 1 punt and kickoff returner.

Dante Hall is expected to miss the next several weeks with what coach Scott Linehan called a significant ankle injury, and Isaac Bruce is expected to miss the Ravens game with a hamstring injury. So that makes Hagans, who made his NFL debut last week against Arizona, next in line.

Todd Johnson lined up with the starters at safety in the absence of Corey Chavous and Jerome Carter. And for the first time this season, the offensive line appears to be intact _ at least compared to the previous week.

On Wednesday, Alex Barron was at left tackle, Andy McCollum at left guard, Brett Romberg at center, Richie Incognito at right guard, and Milford Brown at right tackle.

In addition, defensive tackle Claude Wroten was on the practice field, his four-week NFL suspension over.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Frerotte will start; Hagans to return kicks

More go down!!!:x

The pieces of the puzzle keep increasing.

Keenum is offline Registered User

At least Wroten is back, hopefully he can continue his NFL development without a hiccup.
    And hopefully Hagans can take advantage of his new opportunity.

blood85 Guest

At least he doesn't have Bulger in there to get another 2 broken ribs.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

So no Dante for a few weeks. No Bruce either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

general counsel is offline Registered User

i would rather see hagans than hall at this point. lets find out if the kid is really part of the future of the team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

So we are kinda in preseason mode now, trying out players to see if they fit with the team?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz View Post
    So we are kinda in preseason mode now, trying out players to see if they fit with the team?
    If it were me, that's exactly what I would do. I'm not suggesting that we pull the starters (the few that are left that is), but if it's close between the veteran and the young gey, I say let the young guy play. What's the worst that can happen? He plays really bad, costs us the game. I want a win as much as anybody, but I don't think anyone here truly thinks, at this point, we have a shot at the playoffs. Is there any reason not to see who fits this team for next year and who doesn't?

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    If it were me, that's exactly what I would do. I'm not suggesting that we pull the starters (the few that are left that is), but if it's close between the veteran and the young gey, I say let the young guy play. What's the worst that can happen? He plays really bad, costs us the game. I want a win as much as anybody, but I don't think anyone here truly thinks, at this point, we have a shot at the playoffs. Is there any reason not to see who fits this team for next year and who doesn't?
    So you think we should pull all the starters and play the second and third string guys to see who is hungry and who can play? It is an interesting idea. What happens if the young guys play better than the veterans? You going cut the ol timers?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Why do we not have a shot at the playoffs? We are only three games out of the NFC West lead, we have only lost two division games and there are 11 games to go. If we get over the shock of the injuries, and start getting some key players back (namely Bulger and Jackson), then i see us having a real chance of getting to the playoffs. You have to remember that the NFC West is a division where it is always tight at the top, and that the NFC wildcard race always seems to include some 8-8 teams.

If this was the AFC, then i would say we are out of it, but the NFC is a different story

general counsel is offline Registered User

But its not the "shock" of the injuries that is the issue, its the loss of talent due to the injuries thats the problem. That also assumes that we dont get any more injuries, which is a significant assumption.

In addition, the history of the nfl is that NO TEAM has EVER made the playoffs with an 0-5 start. What makes anyone think that we are going to be the first?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Why do we not have a shot at the playoffs? We are only three games out of the NFC West lead, we have only lost two division games and there are 11 games to go. If we get over the shock of the injuries, and start getting some key players back (namely Bulger and Jackson), then i see us having a real chance of getting to the playoffs. You have to remember that the NFC West is a division where it is always tight at the top, and that the NFC wildcard race always seems to include some 8-8 teams.

If this was the AFC, then i would say we are out of it, but the NFC is a different story
    your positive outlook is very refreshing considering the depression most of us are in about this season,but thinking we have a "real chance" at the playoffs might be a bit of a reach, what have you seen that gives you any indication that we could be a playoff team ?

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

I blame the Kool-Aid, GC, they drank so much they've gone silly.

Let's just hope they don't go Jonestown when the Rams are mathematically eliminated.
    Last edited by badmoforamfan; -10-11-2007 at 12:06 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

So you think we should pull all the starters and play the second and third string guys to see who is hungry and who can play? It is an interesting idea. What happens if the young guys play better than the veterans? You going cut the ol timers?
    I wouldn't go as far to say "pull the starters" but like I said before, how opening day starters are still playing? But of the ones that are, say Holt, no don't pull him, no one is even close to his talent level on the team, but how about Glover? I've been impressed with C. Ryan, so why not let him play? It's not like Glover is the future of this team, and if C. Ryan keeps playing like he has, then we know that we have a true NT. I would only start the younger players if the coaching staff believes that they have a future with the team. I would rather find out who can play now than be unpleasantly surprised next year. Other than Ryan, I'm trying to think of other people who could start, no QB or RB, Wade is starting Nickel with Bartell moving to Safety (I think) if we had anyone on the Oline they would already be playing, Hagens is playing, we don't have a future Safety, and to my knowledge none of our LB's are terribly old, but i would mind seeing Tim McGarigle take some snaps....If there is a reason why we shouldn't, I'm all ears. And I wouldn't cut the old timers, just make them the backups, because with the way this year has been going, we can't ever have too many of those

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Preseason mode is probably not a bad way to describe the present state of the team, but seeing if the young guys fit with the team is only a by-product of the necessity to fill spots vacated due to injuries. I'd like to think we'll be stronger for it in the long term, but being forced to go through the process because of so many guys being banged up is a bitter pill to swallow, at least for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast