RamWraith is offline Registered User

Friday Afternoon--Wagoner

Friday Afternoon
    Friday, November 11, 2005

- Normally the weeks of practice all seem the same, but there was no doubt the Rams had a little more spirit and bounce this week. I guess that's the result of getting healthy after a bye week and getting back superstars like Leonard Little, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce and Marc Bulger.

- Tom Nutten didn't do much of anything in practice again Friday and told me afterward that he will be a game time decision. I would expect Claude Terrell to get the start. Nutten has a bulging disc in his neck and it will really be up to him whether he plays or not. You can't take chances with a neck injury, particularly when you play the offensive line and are involved in a collision on every play.

- The decision on Bruce and Holt will also be made later this weekend, perhaps as early as tonight. Bruce talked for the first time since the toe injury today and insists that he'll be "ready to play." That doesn't mean he actually will play, but you get the idea from the cagey veteran that he will be out there Sunday. It's too important of a game and Bruce is too much of a competitor to miss. If he doesn't go, it's only because he won't be as effective as he can. As for Holt, I would be surprised if he doesn't go. He had a good week of practice and didn't appear to have any setbacks. It's a long flight to Seattle so it's possible his knee could have an adverse reaction to that, but I expect Holt to go Sunday. I'll keep you updated on the status of Bruce and Holt throughout the weekend.

- Bulger looked outstanding this week, showing few ill effects from his shoulder injury. Last year when Bulger came back he handed the ball off to Steven Jackson a lot in a win against Philadelphia. He would love to do that again this week, but I think it's a slightly different situation than last year. If you recall, Bulger played after missing just two weeks last year. This time, he had a full three weeks off and then came back on a more restricted schedule of throwing. I don't think he'll be limited at all and if he is as good as he was against the Jets last year (which would be the same time elapsed between the injury and his return last year as this year), then he should be fine.

- My expectations for the offense this weekend aren't much different than anyone else. Ideally, the offense will resemble the one that took it to the Colts in the first quarter of that game. That was as balanced and dominant as the offense has been all season. Using Steven Jackson to set up the pass and mixing in the occasional deep ball. Good luck defending a fully loaded Rams' offense if it is humming like that for four quarters.

- Speaking of Jackson and I might have said this before, but he is developing into an all out superstar. In every aspect of the game, Jackson is starting to shine bright. We all know what he can do on the field and he is really starting to find his way there, but he has a wonderful personality that is shining through too. Jackson has a lot of Holt in him as far as pure enjoyment in playing the game and enthusiasm. He's fast becoming a great player and just as good a quote.

- The Seahawks have had some major changes since we last saw them. The secondary could have a really different look. Without Ken Hamlin and the potential for a missing Michael Boulware, Seattle could be vulnerable to big plays down the field. The Seahawks have done a good job of limiting big plays this year, but without some their best playmakers on defense, it could be a long day.

- On the flip side of that, Seattle's offense is really clicking and is also starting to get healthy again. Bobby Engram is back and Joe Jurevicius is really comfortable. Also, tight end Jerramy Stevens is finally having a breakout season. We all know about Shaun Alexander, who is one of the top three backs in the league right now. Depending on the weather, there's a great chance for a shootout Sunday afternoon.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: Friday Afternoon--Wagoner

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith
    Friday Afternoon
    Friday, November 11, 2005

- Normally the weeks of practice all seem the same, but there was no doubt the Rams had a little more spirit and bounce this week. I guess that's the result of getting healthy after a bye week and getting back superstars like Leonard Little, Torry Holt, Isaac Bruce and Marc Bulger.

- Tom Nutten didn't do much of anything in practice again Friday and told me afterward that he will be a game time decision. I would expect Claude Terrell to get the start. Nutten has a bulging disc in his neck and it will really be up to him whether he plays or not. You can't take chances with a neck injury, particularly when you play the offensive line and are involved in a collision on every play.

- The decision on Bruce and Holt will also be made later this weekend, perhaps as early as tonight. Bruce talked for the first time since the toe injury today and insists that he'll be "ready to play." That doesn't mean he actually will play, but you get the idea from the cagey veteran that he will be out there Sunday. It's too important of a game and Bruce is too much of a competitor to miss. If he doesn't go, it's only because he won't be as effective as he can. As for Holt, I would be surprised if he doesn't go. He had a good week of practice and didn't appear to have any setbacks. It's a long flight to Seattle so it's possible his knee could have an adverse reaction to that, but I expect Holt to go Sunday. I'll keep you updated on the status of Bruce and Holt throughout the weekend.

- Bulger looked outstanding this week, showing few ill effects from his shoulder injury. Last year when Bulger came back he handed the ball off to Steven Jackson a lot in a win against Philadelphia. He would love to do that again this week, but I think it's a slightly different situation than last year. If you recall, Bulger played after missing just two weeks last year. This time, he had a full three weeks off and then came back on a more restricted schedule of throwing. I don't think he'll be limited at all and if he is as good as he was against the Jets last year (which would be the same time elapsed between the injury and his return last year as this year), then he should be fine.

- My expectations for the offense this weekend aren't much different than anyone else. Ideally, the offense will resemble the one that took it to the Colts in the first quarter of that game. That was as balanced and dominant as the offense has been all season. Using Steven Jackson to set up the pass and mixing in the occasional deep ball. Good luck defending a fully loaded Rams' offense if it is humming like that for four quarters.

- Speaking of Jackson and I might have said this before, but he is developing into an all out superstar. In every aspect of the game, Jackson is starting to shine bright. We all know what he can do on the field and he is really starting to find his way there, but he has a wonderful personality that is shining through too. Jackson has a lot of Holt in him as far as pure enjoyment in playing the game and enthusiasm. He's fast becoming a great player and just as good a quote.

- The Seahawks have had some major changes since we last saw them. The secondary could have a really different look. Without Ken Hamlin and the potential for a missing Michael Boulware, Seattle could be vulnerable to big plays down the field. The Seahawks have done a good job of limiting big plays this year, but without some their best playmakers on defense, it could be a long day.

- On the flip side of that, Seattle's offense is really clicking and is also starting to get healthy again. Bobby Engram is back and Joe Jurevicius is really comfortable. Also, tight end Jerramy Stevens is finally having a breakout season. We all know about Shaun Alexander, who is one of the top three backs in the league right now. Depending on the weather, there's a great chance for a shootout Sunday afternoon.
    Now thats what I like hearing. I'm getting my hopes higher now that I'm hearing this.
    RamsFan16