RamWraith is offline Registered User

Friday Afternoon--Wagoner

Friday Evening
    Friday, February 10, 2006

- The coaching staff is almost complete, with about three or four spots yet to be filled. Obviously, the biggest position still needing a coach is the defensive line. Nick Holt backed out of his agreement to take the defensive coordinator job at USC, leaving that spot open.

- There are still some good names out there that could be brought in to fill that job. One intriguing name making the rounds is Ted Cottrell, who was most recently the defensive coordinator for the Vikings. It's unknown whether he would take that step, but it would certainly bring some more sizzle to the defensive coaching staff. Of course, there are other potential candidates, but he would be an intriguing hire.

- Speaking of the coaching staff, sure there are names that are unrecognized, but these are all guys that coach Scott Linehan or defensive coordinator Jim Haslett know and trust. There seems to be a nice mix of youth and experience on both sides of the ball. The defensive staff, which is comprised mostly of veterans is particularly interesting. That group clearly needs some grizzled, hard nosed leadership and with guys like Rick Venturi and Willy Robinson, there should be plenty of heat and aggressiveness. Keep in mind that Linehan will be running the offense and though there are some young coaches taking the reins of some of the offensive spots, there is still a good veteran presence. Retaining Henry Ellard was important for that reason and hiring Paul Boudreau as offensive line coach makes plenty of sense.

- Yes, it has been a slow time for news, but things are about to change in the next couple of weeks. With the scouting combine coming up, the coaching staff and scouting staff are turning it into high gear. The coaching staff has begun evaluations of players and free agents and the scouts are preparing to watch and evaluate college players at the combine. That should make the next few weeks an interesting time to see who is coming and going. And we'll also get to know some of the new members of the coaching staff.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Friday Afternoon--Wagoner

With Linehan at the helm we will be seeing a different approach to Football.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I think they did a respectable job building the new coaching staff only time will tell if they were indeed the right moves. I would like to see them sign Cottrell.

I am satisfied with the coaching acquisitions. Now I hope the FO don't go cheap in hiring the Director of the Pro Personnel Department and they get the necessary scouts needed to evaluate players. This is something they could easily go cheap on that would not draw a lot of attention to them. Lets hope they get a good Director and give him some power. That is one position that could help make a big difference it would have an influence on the cap dollar allocation and setting the value of potential Ram players.

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I hope they dont go cheap the future is very important
    ... In the old days The Rams where the 1st team in the NFL to employ scouting staff...
    Last edited by OldRamsfan; -02-13-2006 at 03:35 AM.

bruce_wannabe Guest

the offseason is almost at hand boys, i cant wait to see how the rams approach free agents and the combine and the draft