Rambos is offline Registered User

Are the front four that good?

I have never seen our front four, particularly Pickett and Kennedy get that much of a push up front. They where getting good pressure on the QB with just rushing four. Is this fool’s gold or can we expect to see this going forward or was this just a weak O-line we faced.

TX go ahead and say we are that good.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Are the front four that good?

I will say this much. We are a lot lot better than we were last year. First of all, Leonard is once again a force of nature out there. He was very good last year, but not as good as before. He has returned to top form. Second, The Big Bear is coming into his own. Healthy, at the right playing weight, this is what we expected when we drafted him. Third, Pickett, who is my opinion was always underated since a lot of people dont understand his role (ie taking up blockers, the nose tackle spot really has little in the way of glory), is benefitting a great deal from The Big Bears play. We have a long way to go on the other side, hargrove can improve a lot.

I think the dline was nowhere near as bad as people said last year, especially once kennedy starting playing as a starter at the end of the year. The real issue last year was that the linebackers may have been the worst in the entire league. We have upgraded massively in that area.

Too soon to call this group the fearsome foursome part 2, but not too soon for cautious optimism regarding their potential, and at the minimum a realistic belief that we are a lot better.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

one other point- D Lewis appears to be playing better as well and adds real good depth. Tyoka is still good as a situational pass rusher in addition to his spiritual value.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

It's very encouraging to see the front four looking so active and making a difference, but I think it will take a few more games to really tell. If they can be a force against Tennessee and New York, I'll feel much better going up against the opponents in week five and especially week six.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

If the Rams get past the Giants at 2-2, I'll take that.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

Three of our front four are already good and could be great by the end of the season. We have 1 great DE with Little and 2 good DT's in Pickett and Kennedy. Those two might wind up being great by seasons end time will tell. Hargrove has a ways to go to be declared good he maybe one of those guys that has the athletic ability but don’t put it all together. If Hargrove don’t step up soon we may see more of Green, Tyoka and maybe even D Lew at DE. D Lew had a chance for a couple sacks last game but the other team got called for holding him. He is a nice backup at DT and although aging I still like Tyoka as a backup DL off the bench. I like the looks of this DL a lot better then last years. The young DT’s are coming around.

With that said they did look better against the AZ team then what we might realistically be able to expect every game because AZ has been having problems with blocking DL. But they also took advantage and played great.
    Last edited by STLRAMSFAN; -09-20-2005 at 10:34 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Neither San Fran or the Cards have that strong of an offensive line, so it's hard to tell. I'll be anxious to see how this unit performs against Seattle and Indy back to back.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I Agree With Gc On This One, Much Improved,is D-lew In A Contract Year ? Little Is An Animal,but Keep In Mind We Have Played Weak O-lines And Therefore Weak Running Games,but I Like What I See So Far,they Are Playing With Alot Of Fire.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Little, Grease, and Bear all got sacks against the Cardinals. That's impressive no matter who you're playing against. I've noticed Pickett, in particular, getting veyr good push up front and Jimmy Kennedy's starting to demand double teams, and this is obviously helping Little's game. I'd love to see Hargrove do a little more though.

Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

Nick is correct, it's hard to tell at this point.

Jimmy Kennedy #73
    ---------------------
    I think we are seeing Kennedy moving to the next level. He's explosive and strong.

D. Lewis #92
    ----------------------
    D. Lewis, ? He was more active against the Cardinals, but he has ONE tackle in each game and NO sacks. He's in the middle of the line, in the thick of things, so it seems like he should be getting in on more action. Hasn't shown yet that he's not a liability against the Run.

HARGROVE #95
    -------------------
    He had one tackle versus SanFran and managed to not have any versus the Cardinals. Hargrove has got to produce.. For too long the guy has dissappeared on Sundays. In the pre-season he responded to being benched for Greeen. Look for Martz to "motivate" Hargrove with Green. He has all the tools.

Pickett #79
    --------------------------------------

It was good to see him back. He had an off-year last year. He played Really good game against AZ. I can see him playing at a high level this year.

majorram is offline Registered User

I agree with all of the above, I think in the end Green will beat out Hargrove....

steve:clanram:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos
    I have never seen our front four, particularly Pickett and Kennedy get that much of a push up front. They where getting good pressure on the QB with just rushing four. Is this fool’s gold or can we expect to see this going forward or was this just a weak O-line we faced.

TX go ahead and say we are that good.
    I don't know about Tx, but I'll be glad to say it........yes, our D-line IS that good. Little is not a surprise. He will create pressure off the left edge in most passing situations. Pickett and Kennedy SHOULDN'T be a surprise, but to many fans, they are. They are both dominant run stoppers, and Kennedy can even get to the QB from the inside. The fact that Pickett got to the QB is a bonus. And for Hargrove, well, he's still maturing, so give him a little patience, and maybe his results will match his potential at some point very soon.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Neither San Fran or the Cards have that strong of an offensive line, so it's hard to tell. I'll be anxious to see how this unit performs against Seattle and Indy back to back.
    They played well none the less like they should against those teams.

Too soon to call this group the fearsome foursome part 2, but not too soon for cautious optimism regarding their potential, and at the minimum a realistic belief that we are a lot better.
    Add Green, DLew, and TJ we can call them the "Fearsome 7".

I think the front four is better than last year with a heathy "Big Bear" making a strong push. Hargrove is looking good as is Green. TJ always brings 110% and is a leader on the line.

I think the improved play of the LB's is helping the front four. :clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

ramsfan1975 is offline Registered User

id give this defence a few more games before im convinced but all the signs point to a better then average defence this year...cmon were 4th against the run so far.. from near last in the league last year...my only concern is our pass defence.. should our offence start preforming to the level that they should be at that will start putting the defence in more of a pass defence frame something were sill struggling with...right now i dont know if id rather the games be as close as they have been or have the greatest show on turf running the offence...can our defence play up to the pass in that situation....time will tell...