Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Front Office a joke?

Do you guys think it is. I mean I love the hiring of Linehan and his staff OC and DC and all that but seriously. They still haven't agreed to a contract with Pickett or Archuleta and they've had 3 weeks and another 3 days. We were supposed to get new personal in the front office and it didn't happen. I'm sorry but when I see some team is set to sign some player it angers me knowing that the Rams had a chance to get him and they didn't. I would really like to see how far off we are with Pickett and Archuleta. Man I'm so mad right now

RamsFan16

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: Front Office a joke?

Dude, the whole league is in chaos with the union/owners strife, do you really expect there to be much in the way of free agent signings (though, by the way, it looks like the Rams are going to restructure Bruce so he can retire a Ram).

By the way, I HATE the Kobe Bryant avatar! :tongue:

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Dude, the whole league is in chaos with the union/owners strife, do you really expect there to be much in the way of free agent signings (though, by the way, it looks like the Rams are going to restructure Bruce so he can retire a Ram).

By the way, I HATE the Kobe Bryant avatar! :tongue:
    I know about the CBA and all that. But seriously do you think any Rams executives are there? Probrably not. Which gives them time to talk with agents since they have nothing better to do. And Kobe is my fav player man! Best playa in the NBA!
    RamsFan16

You don't get it. The labor strife creates long-term uncertainty. That makes it dangerous for both players and teams to agree to any long-term deals.

Oh, and Kobe is a ball-hogging prima donna who will never win a championship without Shaq.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    You don't get it. The labor strife creates long-term uncertainty. That makes it dangerous for both players and teams to agree to any long-term deals.

Oh, and Kobe is a ball-hogging prima donna who will never win a championship without Shaq.
    Yea they keep set up two scenarios. One being if there is an agreement met on the CBA that you sign this deal and if not you sign this deal.

Kobe isn't a ball hog his team sucks and who cares about shaq he is a fat piece of junk.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFan16
    They still haven't agreed to a contract with Pickett or Archuleta and they've had 3 weeks and another 3 days.
    There are many teams that haven't agreed to deals with key free agents. Furthermore, until they know what's going on with the CBA, it would be pretty difficult to sign a player to a moderate to large contract at all until you know how that affects you down the line. Obviously there are some teams like the Colts who don't seem to consider that an issue, though they should given some of their players' contracts. But the point is, whether or not there's a new CBA could mean the difference in signing Pickett to a four year deal or a six year deal. Why pull the trigger on that contract until you know one way or the other?

I'm sorry but when I see some team is set to sign some player it angers me knowing that the Rams had a chance to get him and they didn't.
    If "some team" is set to sign a player right now, then no, the Rams did not have a chance to get him, because the Rams are not allowed to sign other teams' players until the start of free agency. Don't blame the Rams or say they missed a chance on a guy when that guy is resigned before he even hits the market! Jeez!

Which gives them time to talk with agents since they have nothing better to do.
    You don't honestly believe this, do you? Off the top of my head, I could probably name a dozen of different things that are likely going on in Rams Park that are pretty important. You make it sound like they're all sitting around playing DDR.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I know about the CBA and all that. But seriously do you think any Rams executives are there? Probrably not. Which gives them time to talk with agents since they have nothing better to do. And Kobe is my fav player man! Best playa in the NBA!
    Actually according to this article, Shaw is seen as one the more important mediators in trying to get this agreement settled.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Patience, patience. Perhaps we could / should be more proactive contract wise but the NFL currently has some stormy weather to attend to. I think we'll be okay as soon as this weather clears some.

[Off topic but thread related]

Hey, I've been an avid L. A. Lakers fan since 1965: Elgin Baylor, Leroy Ellis, Bob Boozer, Rudy Larusso, Walt Hazzard, Gail Goodrich, and the great ... Jerry West.

I think Kobe Bryant is a fine superstar and a sure, much needed scoring machine for the team right now.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I'd normally be one of the first people to start slinging mud at Shaw and company, but on this occasion their actions seem to be well-reasoned.

We're in good cap shape, there are some re-negotiations done or pending that will put us in better shape, there is league wide uncertainty over the size of any future cap and our most attractive FA's aren't sure things. (at least not in my opinion, and obviously not in the FO's either as they haven't chosen to tag anyone)

Patience in these circunstances is sensible until the shape of the market becomes clear, and the potential value of our FA's become clear enough for us to tender them offers or choose not to match.

FA's been delayed anyway and there has been a welter of big names hitting the market over the past couple of days.

How much criticism would they (rightly) have received if they had tied up Pickett to a long term deal or tagged him a over $5 mil a year, when La Roi Glover and Brentson Buckner are around as potential acquisitions.

I'm no fan of Shaw, but I'd be on shaky ground if I had a go at him on this issue.

Name a dozen things nick.
    RamsFan16

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Name a dozen things nick.
    1) Working in conjunction with the rest of the owners in negotiations with the player's association
    2) Determining where they stand in terms of the new revenue sharing proposals
    3) Scouting rookies for the draft
    4) Reviewing tape of Rams who are going to hit the market
    5) Reviewing tape of free agents from other teams
    6) Meeting with players on the team to talk about their contract situation (ala Ike Bruce)
    7) Meeting with players to further diagnose the future direction of the team
    8) Assorted building maintence tasks, of which there could be many by themselves, such as dealing with the new field turf and other concerns about the Ed
    9) Determining a strategy for free agency/draft based on whether or not a new CBA is reached
    10) Trying to determine where camp is going to be, since the last I read the decision had not been made
    11) Other staff issues for people who work within the organization at non-football positions
    12) Potentially working on the future development of a pro personnel department

Obviously I don't know if they're doing all this, but I would suspect that they would. Obviously there's a lot to running a professional football organization. These guys aren't just sitting around sending each other funny videos through their networked e-mail.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

mh-i is offline Registered User

Do you guys think it is. I mean I love the hiring of Linehan and his staff OC and DC and all that but seriously. They still haven't agreed to a contract with Pickett or Archuleta and they've had 3 weeks and another 3 days. We were supposed to get new personal in the front office and it didn't happen. I'm sorry but when I see some team is set to sign some player it angers me knowing that the Rams had a chance to get him and they didn't. I would really like to see how far off we are with Pickett and Archuleta. Man I'm so mad right now
    You're putting the cart before the horse. Relax..... Hopefully Arch isn't on the Rams radar.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i
    You're putting the cart before the horse. Relax..... Hopefully Arch isn't on the Rams radar.
    Haslett said he wants him back.
    RamsFan16

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Nick named a dozen things. What does he win?
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

A case of dehydrated water.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast