Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    thermobee is offline Registered User

Front Office observation and comment

Is it just me or is our new Front Office really good at throwing smoke screens before pulling moves. Ill give you two examples as to where ive noticed that. Right before Spags was hired, they brought in the OC of the cowboys for a visit with his wife, which made everyone think that he was going to be our new coach. Second time was the signing of Boller. There were reports that Frerrote was going to be on the practice field by thursday but as it turned out we signed Boller instead.

Just something ive been thinking about in the last few days. Please comment

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

Re: Front Office observation and comment

yes i would argee with you.
    I hope they can use this for the draft to possibly make a trade with a team that has many early draft choices (Eagles,Denver) that would allow us to get starters at OT and MLB in the first round.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the whole "smokescreen" thing is a creation of the media.

In Garrett's case, I think the Rams were concerned that they were not going to get Spagnuolo, so they wanted to make sure they had a backup plan in place. The confusion as to who was the frontrunner was based upon unfounded assumptions made by the press.

In the case of Frerotte/Boller, there's no mystery. The Rams were prepared to sign Frerotte, but he delayed (possibly because he is recovering from an injury). The Rams didn't want to wait, and were able to reach terms woth Boller instead.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I think it could be just you. No offense though, wish the theory was true. However, why would ANY NFL team care what the Rams do right now? 5 wins in 2 seasons. No playoff appearance since Mike Martz. I don't think anyone cares what the Rams are currently doing.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think it could be just you. No offense though, wish the theory was true. However, why would ANY NFL team care what the Rams do right now? 5 wins in 2 seasons. No playoff appearance since Mike Martz. I don't think anyone cares what the Rams are currently doing.
    Geez, Tx... you are really becoming the resident Eeyore 'round these parts. We all know that things have been bad, but a lot has changed throughout the organization. What's wrong with a little bit of hope?

Not saying bad about hope, I'm just saying why would anyone care what the Rams are doing?

Never kick a dog, because he's just a pup. You better run for cover when the pup grows up.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Not saying bad about hope, I'm just saying why would anyone care what the Rams are doing?

I don't think it's as much a matter of other teams caring (or not caring) what we do as much as it's a commentary on BD's way of dealing, which I for one am impressed with.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Ok I think people are missing the point. Alright, where's the kool aid. It's easier to drink the kool aid than anything else.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I think Tx is right; there isn't really a need for smokescreens.

But the Rams are stoking some pretty hot coals under the layers of negligent crappy ash which is all that the NFL audience at large sees. I think of Devaney's GMship, the Spags hire, a couple of acknowledged quality FAs in Brown & Butler, and, given Devaney's good eye in picking up Darby, Stills,Fells,for egs, I'm not willing to bet against Boller and Robinson turning out to be significant moves.

If we are the new Cinderella team, there will be a re-assessment of the turning points above that are presently going unnoticed.

For now, it's our little secret....hehehe...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    Is it just me or is our new Front Office really good at throwing smoke screens before pulling moves. Ill give you two examples as to where ive noticed that. Right before Spags was hired, they brought in the OC of the cowboys for a visit with his wife, which made everyone think that he was going to be our new coach. Second time was the signing of Boller. There were reports that Frerrote was going to be on the practice field by thursday but as it turned out we signed Boller instead.

Just something ive been thinking about in the last few days. Please comment
    I don't think so. Just my opinion though.

1. According to reports, Garrett was the one that wanted to visit St. Louis, and management said.....sure, why not?

2. Frerrote hesitated. Boller didn't.

I don't think either was a smokescreen. I mean, who exactly would be getting smoked with either of those moves?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Never kick a dog, because he's just a pup. You better run for cover when the pup grows up.
    From AvengerRam to... GavrocheRam?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Why not throw some smokescreens. Mark Sanchez is apparently one of the hottest commodities in the draft. I doubt anyone wants to trade up and pay, but it never hurts to try.

thermobee is offline Registered User

You guys might be right that no one cares about what the rams are doing, but im still sticking to my opinion that this is the way things are going to go from now on. It will not be clear exactly what we want to do until the last second. Which in my opinion is a great way to do business.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thermobee View Post
    You guys might be right that no one cares about what the rams are doing, but im still sticking to my opinion that this is the way things are going to go from now on. It will not be clear exactly what we want to do until the last second. Which in my opinion is a great way to do business.
    I don't know about the actions of the RAMS front office being smokescreens. However I do believe every team in the NFL is concerned and/or curious as to what "ALL" the other teams are up to.

Does anyone think that the RAMS were the only team interested in SPAGS?

How about Butler and Boller?

How about the RAMS first pick in the NFL draft?

With all the scouting, film studying, preparation and practicing that goes on in the NFL, I find it hard to believe that what our RAMS are doing is going unnoticed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast