Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    bigredman is offline Registered User

Front office plans sends mixed signal

It was reported this morning on Fox that the Rams are definately for sale and deals are being explored. Because of that, the Ram's new head coach has written into his contract an escape clause that allows him to leave if the team is sold.

Now if you are a free agent, what's the likelihood that you'll want to sign with the Rams, or a good assistant coach for that matter considering this news? It makes sense for Spags. He will have a head coach stint under his belt at least before moving on, but unless you are a position coach and are seeking coordinator experience to add to your resume, we probably are not going to attract any established coordinators or anyone with significant experience to fill out the coaching staff. I hope I'm wrong and Spags has some connections or favors to call in.

I firmly believe that if this team is sold, it will be moved. I base this on the St. Louis economy, the small stadium in St. Louis and the willingness of other cities willing to build a bigger and better one, the lack of local fan support, and that the likely new owner will be from outside of Missouri.
    Last edited by bigredman; -01-18-2009 at 04:19 PM.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Re: Front office plans sends mixed signal

I saw this too. It does bring a slight damper on the parade but only slight. Lets see how this whole thing pans out before we get in to much of an up roar.
    If the Rams do get sold & a move is a possibility, the only place I want them to go is back to L.A.--Wait Sacramento Rams has a nice sound to it

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I am not so sure they would be going anywhere. There are rumors that a St. Louis investment firm may be interested in buying the Rams. The economy sucks everywhere too, not just STL. However, the San Antonio Rams does have a nice ring to it.

rampower is offline Registered User

The 4 year contract certainly says we staying home for a while. Really strange.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

blood85 is offline Registered User

Nah, I like central valley of california, Modesto Rams, better....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    It was reported this morning on Fox that the Rams are definately for sale and deals are being explored. Because of that, the Ram's new head coach has written into his contract an escape clause that allows him to leave if the team is sold.
    Strange. Rotoworld cites FOXSports' Jay Glazer about the clause existing, but Glazer says that the team assured Spagnuolo that they will not sell the team.

Quote Originally Posted by blood85 View Post
    Nah, I like central valley of california, Modesto Rams, better....
    I could live with that

I think Chip realizes that with Devaney behind the wheel that he can be just the owner. Not every owner has their hands under the hood of every team. We as fans sometimes assume that the owners of teams are constantly thinking about their team. Turns out that is far from the case. I wish Fox or NFL Network (not ESPN) would do a documentary on how much time owners actually spend on their teams and compare it to their businesses that made them successful enough to own a team in the first place.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Personally, I think Philly needs a second team.

TheTalkOfTheArch is offline Registered User

There are a lot of rams fans in St. Louis where the team is. I think its pretty disrespectful to them to play this relocation game. Does anyone here not want the rams to leave St. Louis?? You guys sound like a bunch of vultures.

Well, winning cures alot of economic woes. You know, I don't blame the fans of STL for being absent. Actually, I am glad of it. Because of the fans reaction, and I do believe this, Chip got rid of Ziggy and allowed Shaw to retire....put Devaney in place which brought in Spagnuolo. I sincerely think this is capitalism at it's finest. Supply and Demand. When the demand (fans) balked at the type of supply (the Rams) were running out on the field, management changed direction.

Quote Originally Posted by TheTalkOfTheArch View Post
    There are a lot of rams fans in St. Louis where the team is. I think its pretty disrespectful to them to play this relocation game. Does anyone here not want the rams to leave St. Louis?? You guys sound like a bunch of vultures.
    I've been called worse

But seriously The Rams belong in one of 2 places, St. Louis or L.A..
    The L.A. preference is for solely selfish reasons I have to admit.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by TheTalkOfTheArch View Post
    TOTA, welcome aboard. You're new here, so I'll explain how this game works. There is a large contingency of LA Rams fans from back in the day that are members here. Wonderful folks, loyal fans all. And every so often, a media figure will mention something along the lines of a proposed sale. That triggers threads like these where one of our LA friends will mention the media blurb, then another will mention how the sale would facilitate a move, then another post about how LA is really the only option for the Rams if they move. And sprinkled throughout will be numerous slams on St. Louis and her fans.

It's a cycle. You'll get used to it after a while.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Guam Rams? Just think about it like those Corona commercials. Sitting on a quiet beach before the game having a cold one this time of year. AAAAAHHH

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    and tht the likely new owner will be from outside of Missouri.
    That doesn't mean anything at all. What if a new owner lived in North Dakota? Even if they were local, that doesn't necessarily guarantee they wouldn't consider moving the team to greener pastures either.

And, an escape clause probably would've been in the contract with the other HC's, except for maybe the "cheaper" candidates.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast