RamWraith is offline Registered User

Frustrated Bulger said what needed to be said

By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/04/2006

At the end of a disgusting, embarrassing and lifeless day, at last there was a spark.

Well, actually it was a downright wonderful, surprising and long-awaited semi-combustible brush fire that could we hope, we pray turn out to be just the sort of thing that helps eradicate whatever it is that ails the struggling St. Louis Rams.

Marc Bulger, the reigning emotional ice king of the Rams, put his battered and bruised back firmly up against the locker room wall and blew a fuse after Sunday's 34-20 loss to the sorry, no-account Arizona Cardinals. The Readers Digest version of his 10-minute tirade comes down to this biting commentary:

I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore.

The normally low-key Bulger took a calculated and very controversial risk by publicly ripping several unnamed (but definitely not anonymous) teammates, but it needed to be done. "There's more than one guy in this locker room that could care less if we're losing, or thinks it's OK to make mistakes," he said. ""... There are definitely guys that don't care. That's what bugs me."

Well, good for him.

Today I'm sure there are a lot of smart people in the sports world who might believe there's this very hard and fast, unwritten rule that says you can never call out a teammate publicly.

Truth be told, it's actually more of a loose guideline than a hard-and-fast rule.

The criteria for bending the rules are quite simple:

1. Some guys, based on talent, contribution, leadership and achievement, earn the right and privilege to do it.

2. Sometimes, when all the quiet, behind-the-scenes, locker room diplomacy fails, the next logical step is a public flogging.

I've seen a wide range of athletes do it, from the iconic (Michael Jordan) to the dastardly (Bill Laimbeer). But when a person as measured as the always unflappable Bulger does it, it not only merits a shock-value headline, it also demands a huge measure of instant credibility.

Bulger has earned the right to call out any slacker based on his career production, his consistent contributions, his well-established role as offensive team leader and the painful bodily sacrifice he absorbs every Sunday.

So that takes care of Criterion No. 1.

As for Criterion No. 2, here's what Bulger had to say about that: He's tried the quiet diplomacy already, and all it's gotten him was disinterested yawns, casual rolling eyes and a set of damaged ribs that are more tender than a full slab of Super Smokers' finest.

"You can say stuff to some guys, and it goes in one ear and out the other, obviously," Bulger said. "Some guys listen and they try. And I don't mind that. ... But when you get embarrassed by a 2-9 team and you think it's OK ... it's not OK."

Oh, and before we go any further, let's dispense with the read-between-the-lines intrigue: The guys he's talking about are the two ultra-talented but annoyingly inconsistent young offensive linemen, center Richie Incognito and former first-round draft pick Alex Barron. Bulger didn't call them by name. Then again, he didn't have to.

And here's a news flash for you: There isn't a soul on the offensive side of the room who didn't agree with Bulger.

"There are guys, repeat offenders, that I think their level of dedication is during business hours and business hours only," starting left tackle and 13-year NFL veteran Todd Steussie said firmly. Steussie also said, "It's been evident to me all year."

It's been evident to anyone else who's watched the Rams with a discerning eye, too. The repetitive mistakes that are being made by this pair are getting Bulger killed and bogging down this potent offense with one error-plagued mess after another. Sadly, they're both proving all their pre-draft scouting reports to be 100 percent correct.

Loads of talent, even more headaches.

And now Bulger is saying what needs to be said about both of these enormous talents and recurring irritations.

Start performing like a paid professional or start considering career alternatives.

Now here's the part where Barron and Incognito need to pay very close attention and resist the urge to give this criticism the usual nonchalant shrugs and immature indifference, because their NFL legacies depend on it.

When someone asked Bulger if the problem could be fixed, he didn't blink. "There's definitely ways to fix it," he said. "Whether you can fix it right now, I don't know. ... (But) I think the NFL figures a way how to fix that."

Yeah, it's called the waiver wire.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Frustrated Bulger said what needed to be said

]Oh, and before we go any further, let's dispense with the read-between-the-lines intrigue: The guys he's talking about are the two ultra-talented but annoyingly inconsistent young offensive linemen, center Richie Incognito and former first-round draft pick Alex Barron. Bulger didn't call them by name. Then again, he didn't have to.

And here's a news flash for you: There isn't a soul on the offensive side of the room who didn't agree with Bulger.
    Things are getting very, very interesting in Rams Park.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/04/2006

"You can say stuff to some guys, and it goes in one ear and out the other, obviously," Bulger said. "Some guys listen and they try. And I don't mind that. ... But when you get embarrassed by a 2-9 team and you think it's OK ... it's not OK."

Start performing like a paid professional or start considering career alternatives.
    Well folks, we have a B-I-N-G-O !!!!!:x

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

John Clayton reported today that the front office agrees with Bulger and that changes will be made in the offseason to address it.

Varg6 is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    John Clayton reported today that the front office agrees with Bulger and that changes will be made in the offseason to address it.

Wow, is there a link to this? Its hard to believe! :x

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Wow, is there a link to this? Its hard to believe! :x
    I heard him say it live on ESPN earlier.

rampete is offline Registered User

i guess the moral of the story is...

if you can't inspire confidence and unity due to lack of leadership, go thru the media to sway the FO to appease the masses...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by rampete View Post
    i guess the moral of the story is...

if you can't inspire confidence and unity due to lack of leadership, go thru the media to sway the FO to appease the masses...
    So you're suggesting this entire ordeal has actually displayed a lack of leadership from Bulger?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

It's about time someone stepped up and said something. I just want to know who on the defense will step up and call out the slackers.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    It's about time someone stepped up and said something. I just want to know who on the defense will step up and call out the slackers.
    I have been thinking the same thing. When will someone on the defense blow up?? Who will it be?

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I have been thinking the same thing. When will someone on the defense blow up?? Who will it be?
    Does anyone on the D have a right to blow up, I don't think so. Maybe Little does, but he already said he didn't agree with what Bulger did so it won't be him, or at least we won't be hearing about it in the media most likely if he does say anything.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

I'll tell you who on the D needs to blow up and put some guys in their place, and that's Jim Haslett. Don't leave it for the players, the coaches need to be doing it.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce View Post
    Does anyone on the D have a right to blow up, I don't think so. Maybe Little does, but he already said he didn't agree with what Bulger did so it won't be him, or at least we won't be hearing about it in the media most likely if he does say anything.
    And that's the problem with the defense, no one will step up. So as long as they are content with the status quo, nothing will change.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    I'll tell you who on the D needs to blow up and put some guys in their place, and that's Jim Haslett. Don't leave it for the players, the coaches need to be doing it.
    I have to agree....It's Haslett time!!! Let's see the scowl, that red face, those veins sticking out of his neck and forehead...come on Jim do it. Light em up!

rampete is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    So you're suggesting this entire ordeal has actually displayed a lack of leadership from Bulger?
    yes...while bulger is a respected member of the team and quite frankly a great QB in my eyes, this action showed me he is not a leader of men...

a true leader unites his troupes thru inspiration and instilling a sense of urgency and weight of importance in all their actions...a follower in a leadership role resorts to the alternatives...including indirect threats...