Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Re: Frustration mounts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This rant reminds me of Brian McKenna ranting one day that the Rams did absolutely nothing to upgrade the defensive line. The co-host says what about Charriker? Well sure he's going to be solid but I'm not counting that.

What about James Hall? Well sure but I can't count that.

So the team got two new starters out of four and you think they haven't done anything? Well they didn't sign a fat guy.
    Well now Kennedy is gone too. Im stoked on the prospect of Carriker but he does not play the interior where the problems have been. Great we have Book ends now what about the middle that has nothing. Adams was not the savior but might have provided some veteran leadership and sure as hell could have plugged the hole better then anyone we have. I think he signed for 1.7 mil for a year not too bad very affordable.

Also "they did not sign a fat guy" wow a genius emerges out of the pack. Yeah all defensive lineman are 300 pounds of pure muscle right???? BWAHAHAHAHA

When I see all the new offensive players that we added I am left wondering where the true focus was in the off season. If you disagree that we pursued offensive free agents more then we pursued defensive free agents then this a pointless conversation.

LET'S GO DODGERS

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Well now Kennedy is gone too. Im stoked on the prospect of Carriker but he does not play the interior where the problems have been.
    Doesn't get much more 'interior' than NT, which is where Carriker will be playing.

Doesn't get much more 'interior' than NT, which is where Carriker will be playing.
    Well forgive me then I was under the impression he would be on the end. Can you give the source that the DE we drafted will be playing a position other then DE. I have not heard about that.
    Last edited by LaRamsFanLongTime; -06-09-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

viper is offline Registered User

Bernie Bits:
    By Bernie Miklasz
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Saturday, Jun. 09 2007

"The Rams took a look at Adams and passed after giving him a poor medical grade."

Quote Originally Posted by LaRamsFanLongTime View Post
    Well forgive me then I was under the impression he would be on the end. Can you give the source that the DE we drafted will be playing a position other then DE. I have not heard about that.
    By Jim Corbett, USA TODAY

Defensively, Linehan believes he plugged a leaky, 31st-ranked run defense with versatile, 6-6, 300-pound Nebraska defensive lineman Adam Carriker, whom the Rams drafted 13th overall.

Realistic hopes for a Rams title run start with stopping the run. Carriker is a high-motor space eater with 4.7 speed and strong hands to keep blockers off linebackers Will Witherspoon, Pisa Tinoisamoa and Brandon Chillar. Carriker is penciled in at nose tackle, with veteran La'Roi Glover set at the other tackle.

"La'Roi is starting at our 3-technique tackle," Linehan says. "Carriker is playing nose and can play 3-technique. He's going to find his way into our opening-day starting lineup. He's very strong and has probably the best hands of any D-lineman in the draft, which helps him play the run and shed blocks. He understands he has to occupy people, take on two blockers and has the ability to run down the line and make the tackle."

Hey, ZigZagRam...long time no see. Its good to have you back. Stick around...we miss your artichoke dip. Welcome back!

Go Rams!!!

Thanks Viper well I feel a little better now. I do worry when a player changes position though, the first step of a tackle is a lot different then a first step of a defensive end. Hopefully this will help the defense alot.

I know why we passed on Addams I just feel at this point we should have taken a shot there is really no one else out there and he was cheap. I'm not a big fan of putting the defense on a rookies shoulders and that interior will be the key to the defense plain and simple.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

You're not alone on that LARFLT. We are heading into unknown territory and can only hope for the best. Rams President, John Shaw, recently stated after trading Kennedy, that they intend to bring in a veteran DT in the near future. So they're apparently not done yet. Stay tuned!

Go Rams!!!

prof22693 is offline Registered User

I don't know, but I might take a rookie Carriker over 34 year-old Adams. He would amount to just as much, not to mention we would be letting him gain experience. Ryan and Jackson look like they are turning out well, and Carriker won't play end thats Little and Hall's job.

While not necessarily on topic, I think Kennedy will turn out better than we think. But I think it was best to pass on Kennedy/Adams. I would only take Jenkins if he sorted out all his problems.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Hi, I'm still relatively new here but I've been following this whole defensive thing for a while and I must admit that I am little confused. I know that Carriker is going to be our starting Nose tackle and that Glover will be are starting under tackle, but what exactly is the difference between the two positions and how are they supposed to be played?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Hi, I'm still relatively new here but I've been following this whole defensive thing for a while and I must admit that I am little confused. I know that Carriker is going to be our starting Nose tackle and that Glover will be are starting under tackle, but what exactly is the difference between the two positions and how are they supposed to be played?
    Basically, a nose tackle takes on a center and one of the guards on pretty much every play. If he does his job right, he'll keep blockers off the linebackers when the opponent tries to run (freeing them up to make plays closer to the line of scrimmage).On passing plays, he also takes on two blockers so the other defensive linemen get one-on-one matchups.

Its also worth noting that Carriker occassionaly moved inside the line on 3rd and short to help the run defense at Nebraska. So he does have some experience inside, albeit at the collegiant level on the interior of the line. I'm not sure exactly what his role inside was but I'm sure someone in the clanram will be able to elaborate on that. The point being that Carikker has some college experience inside on the interior of the line.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Its also worth noting that while Sam Adams' larger weight comes from carrying quite a bit of fat, Carriker is pretty much pure muscle. If you look at the two guys side by side, i know which one i would want starting for our team. Just because a guy is fat doesnt make him better then a guy that isnt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12