throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    chris00cm Guest

FS Brodney Pool Visiting?!?

ProFootballTalk/STLToday:
    Brodney Pool is possibly going to visit the Rams soon. This is probably a head start for a potential OJ Atogwe departure.

This is very concerning as a Rams fan. OJ Atogwe might be signed by another team and Devaney and Co. are not taking any chances before finding their replacement.

Brodney Pool, just like another favorite safety of mine (Who is a FA), Sean Jones, is no slouch. A couple seasons ago, Pool was considered to be one of the better FS in the league before injuries struck. Losing OJ Atogwe would suck incredibly, but he is not a terrible replacement. I would not mind trading Atogwe for a 3rd/4th rounder + if we got Pool.

Bio: Pool is a good all around FS meaning he can cover people but can also make the big hit and create turnovers. Pool is only 25 years old, which makes him very attractive if you are the Rams. Suffered a concussion recently which may drop his value a bit but last year he had 4 INT's in 10 games on a bad defense.
    Last edited by chris00cm; -03-07-2010 at 02:43 AM. Reason: No links; read the rules!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Re: FS Brodney Pool Visiting?!?

well im not ready to say goodbye to O.J just yet (even tho im starting to think its coming to the end..) but there`s worse players than BP we could replace him with.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

This Signing Would Be a Smart Move. But knowing the Rams we're slow to anything thing beneficial

Trevor is offline Registered User

Damn this most likely means we will lose Atogwe.

shower beers is offline Registered User

It sounds like he's one more concussion away from losing his mind. I'd rather have Atogwe myself.

chris00cm Guest

Yeah, he has had 4 concussions in 5 years. Not exactly the type of health report you are looking for from a player.

But put it this way, Brodney Pool would not be a free agent with those concussions. That is why the Browns did not tender him.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

This is leverage on the side of the Rams i believe, so they can say to Atogwe that they can always sign Pool if Atogwe goes elsewhere

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

S Brodney Pool to visit Rams on Monday
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    03.06.2010 11:30 pm

Former Cleveland safety Brodney Pool is scheduled to pay a free-agent visit Monday to Rams Park, his agent Ben Dogra, confirmed Saturday night.

Pool, 25, was a second-round draft pick by the Browns in 2005 out of Oklahoma. He has been a starting free safety in Cleveland the past three seasons.

But Pool was sidelined by a concussion late last season and missed the Browns’ final five games. Pool, 6-2, 210 pounds, already had a career-high four interceptions prior to the season-ending concussion.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Pool has had at least four concussions in his five NFL seasons. Perhaps out of concern for Pool’s concussion problems, the Browns did not tender him as a restricted free agent.

With Oshiomogho Atogwe given the lowest tender by St. Louis, the Rams could be exploring their options at free safety.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Varg6 is offline Registered User

If we can get him for cheap, why not? 4 concussions is really kind of disturbing. Regardless of where this dude plays I hope he won't suffer from long term effects...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    S Brodney Pool to visit Rams on Monday
    By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    03.06.2010 11:30 pm

Former Cleveland safety Brodney Pool is scheduled to pay a free-agent visit Monday to Rams Park, his agent Ben Dogra, confirmed Saturday night.

Pool, 25, was a second-round draft pick by the Browns in 2005 out of Oklahoma. He has been a starting free safety in Cleveland the past three seasons.

But Pool was sidelined by a concussion late last season and missed the Browns’ final five games. Pool, 6-2, 210 pounds, already had a career-high four interceptions prior to the season-ending concussion.

According to the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Pool has had at least four concussions in his five NFL seasons. Perhaps out of concern for Pool’s concussion problems, the Browns did not tender him as a restricted free agent.

With Oshiomogho Atogwe given the lowest tender by St. Louis, the Rams could be exploring their options at free safety.
    Nick, what do you know about this guy ? the 4 concussions seem like a red flag to me,the next one could be the last one and is this a chance the Rams want to take ? I don't know anything about this guy outside of what I just read but I'd be careful of this move.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -03-07-2010 at 11:06 AM.

SLSG Guest

I think the Rams are tired of watching OJ take bad angles and missing tackles. Time to move on, especially for the amount they are paying him. buh-bye

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I think they are waiting for OJ to realise his current value isnt as high as he thinks, so they can give him a fair offer. Pool is the back up plan.

I dont like the fact Pool suffered so many concussions in such a short career, and there was talk this offseason that one more concussion and he is done. Still, he is a very good cover free safety

Bing69 is offline Registered User

I think they are waiting for OJ to realise his current value isnt as high as he thinks

Exactly what ive been thinking. He may be a ball hawk, but there are aspects of his game that arent perfect. See what other teams offer him then match that or offer slightly more to seal the deal. They must have a figure in mind for him anyway

thermobee is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bing69 View Post
    I think they are waiting for OJ to realise his current value isnt as high as he thinks

Exactly what ive been thinking. He may be a ball hawk, but there are aspects of his game that arent perfect. See what other teams offer him then match that or offer slightly more to seal the deal. They must have a figure in mind for him anyway
    I agree. He takes bad angles and he is also not a very good open field tackler.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    Nick, what do you know about this guy ? the 4 concussions seem like a red flag to me,the next one could be the last one and is this a chance the Rams want to take ? I don't know anything about this guy outside of what I just read but I'd be careful of this move.
    I think he's a solid player who has shown progress every year he's been in the league. I remember liking him coming out of Oklahoma, and he probably had the best year of his career in 2009.

That being said, the concussions are a BIG red flag. Can you count on him for 16 games a year for a couple of years? The bigger issue is we're talking about the guy's long term health and well being. His agent said he received a clean bill of health and plans to play in 2010, but I think you have to wonder if it's worth the risk for Pool.

I think the Rams are just exploring what's out there at this point, perhaps so they aren't scrambling if Atogwe does happen to get an offer they can't match.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I think they are waiting for OJ to realise his current value isnt as high as he thinks, so they can give him a fair offer. Pool is the back up plan.

I dont like the fact Pool suffered so many concussions in such a short career, and there was talk this offseason that one more concussion and he is done. Still, he is a very good cover free safety
    Probably. We're now four days into free agency and the best Atogwe's received is some passing mention by 2-3 teams who may be interested, but nothing major. The Chicago interest to this point has been from sports writers who think he should be signed rather than reporting the team is seriously negotiating with him.

Though there's no compensation attached, teams may be wary of negotiating with a restricted free agent because they know they could essentially be doing the Rams' work for them, as St. Louis may want to match. Having UFA options like Ryan Clark and Sean Jones out there makes the decision tougher.

I think everyone involved would like to see one of those guys sign so they get an idea of what the market for a safety is going to be.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast