RamWraith is offline Registered User

Fullbacks Fight For Rams Roster Spots

By Rene Knott
    Sports Director

The fullback position in football can be a thankless job some times.

It's a position that takes someone a little different.

Rams head coach Mike Martz says, "If you want to be a fullback in the NFL you need to be examined by somebody. It's just a brutal position".

But the fullback will be an important element in the Mike Martz offense. The player will be called on to help get the tough yards in the red-zone.

Coach Mike Martz says: "Your success always relies on run football. First and foremost in the redzone. No question about it".

There are three players vying for the job in Rams training camp. Joey Goodspeed, Chris Massey and Madison Hedgecock.

The main focus of the job is protection. They must protect who has the football for the Rams by opening the hole on the lead block and by keeping people of the quarterback.

"That's what we get paid to do. I know my role. I take pride in it, " says Rams veteran fullback Joey Goodspeed.

"You gotta throw your body in there and try to slam people", says Coach Martz.

Goodspeed continues, "If I get a good pancake and Stephen Jackson has a big run that's where I get my money."

They are the hammers. What the fullback is not is bond for glory. Goodspeed carried the ball just three times last season for six yards and one touchdown.

But they are capable of handling the ball. They just don't expect to.

Rams rookie fullback Madison Hedgecock says "I did run a little bit in college out of desperation when someone got hurt. I did pretty good."

Doing well in the Rams system means sacrificing the headlines and he who understands this the most will most likely be the one who gets to do the dirty work during the season.

"It's going to be who the best hammer is. You gotta have a guy who can knock 'em out of there, " concludes Coach Mike Martz.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Fullbacks Fight For Rams Roster Spots

MUST keep both C. Massey and either Goodspeed or Hedgecock. :football:

:angryram: If possible, keep all three! Massey is a great long snapper, of course, and does his good share in ST.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Then again, TE Brandon Manumaleuna is occasionaly in the mix of things and might 'ease' the release of one of two current FBs.

Still, a tough call. :angryram:

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Its going to be interesting to see what happens with the fullback position.
    I think Martz will give us a nice suprize.
    Last edited by psycho9985; -02-02-2006 at 10:08 PM.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild