txramsfan is offline Registered User

Talking Future dilemma at DT

This years draft produced Damione Lewis and Ryan Pickett, both slated to be eventual starters with Lewis being tabbed as starting early in camp, but someone forgot to tell 2nd year man Brian Young. All Young has done is have a break out year, leading the D Line with 64 tackles and 5 sacks. Zgonina a proven vet and Jackson with 3 sacks are playing solid football.

Question is, with our secondary being banged up this year, especially at Safety, do the Rams have enough insurance at this position to use as trade bait? Also to consider, A. Williams IS having an outstanding season, but he isn't the youngest man in the league. He still has at least 2 good years left, maybe more. However, maybe making a trade to improve draft position and get a CB or S out of the upcoming draft would be an option.

:lid:

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    i would like them to keep the DTs as is. Keep 'em young and fresh and keep rotating them. What they should do as far as the draft is draft a CB early to give some depth. I'd say no to the trade bait though.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Keep'em

We are lucky to have 3 young DT's that could develope into some really good players; but it is still too early to tell. We shouldn't trade any one of them in case something happens and they don't live up to their potential. Now if further down the road(a couple years or so) they all turn out pretty good; then we can think about trading one. But we must be thinking about another corner, because Williams is not getting any younger. Plus we want to get one here in time to learn from one of the best of all time.
    Sprtsmac :football:

Bulldog is offline Registered User
    I think we keep what we have, as I am not sure who we would trade for.

At DL we are looking good, keep them all. This group plays as a unit every week. I think we will free up some cap space as we have proven that we do not need Cedric Jones on the roster next year at DE.

in my opinion our need is at LB, we have four quality guys but could use some depth. That is what the draft is for.

As for the DB's, at corner our future is McCleon and Bly when Williams decides to hang up the helmet. We keep working with Butler, it appears as if he has a future. He seems to be getting more game time with McCleon at Safety, in the nickel package.

At safety we have some depth as well, with Herring, Archuletta and Coady. Sorenson is a rookie and who knows if he can step up and play the game only time will tell. I am still sad thay Bowen got away.

With all of that said, unless we can trade a DL for a LB who can make a difference (which will be hard to do), keep em, develop em and ensure we have depth in the trench.

It's sucks when you do not have any glaring weakness to improve. Even in 99 we knew Collins would have to go, but at that time I was sure Little was the man of the future (I'll take partial credit).

Bulldog

longhornrams is offline Registered User

Free Agency

Don't forget that Little, Fletcher, and Hakim are free agents in the offseason. Hopefully we will let Az go (for the few great things he does, not worth the misery of punt return fumbles) and concentrate on the defensive players, especially London, who is the heart and soul of Lovie's boys.

That said, I'm not convinced that Ryan Pickett is an eventual starter, even next year. Let's hang on to all three for at least one more year to see how it plays out.

I am worried at corner; Bly is inconsistent, McCleon either makes a pick or gets beat like a drum, and Aeneas can't play forever (3 more years, maybe). Shepherd showed some good play Monday, but he isn't there yet.

Safety isn't as big a problem, Arch (assuming he can get healthy and avoid concussions) and Herring should be back there for a while.

I'd like to see the Rams draft/acquire a corner or two in the offseason, sign London and Little, and let Az go. Only big variable is if Proehl decides to retire.
    "I'm from the Lou and I'm Proud"....Nelly

RealRam is online now Registered User

Thumbs up The stars...

Hey, my thoughts are, "the rating for this thread should be FIVE stars!"
    Seriously, I really enjoyed the interesting, veritable comments. :cool: Great contents you all!

I too believe Rams DL is VERY solid and effective as is. Next two years can only make it AWESOME as it gels further and players develop as a team --preferably w/Coaches Lovie & Kollar still in charge. I hope Little continues to mature, he's doing so well. One can only wonder about Cedric J. for now.

Haven't seen much of rookie No. 41/Sorensen of course, but so far I like him. The obvious thinness problem has been the rash of injuries (man! -- sure glad Aeneas' scare at N.O. wasn't serious). Adam, get WELL.

With Rich Coady, Sorensen and Butler we might have a good DB squad in the making, at the very least as reliable backups and special teams players, yes?

LB's also look promising [funny how we are now looking for ways to pay homage to this great D as opposed to last year's]. Allen and Polley should do extremely well by next year, and I also think Cohen will develop into a stalwart type of defender, again, injuries notwithstanding.

Yes, Aeneas should enjoy highly the satisfaction of being a SBowl champion for two more seasons, i.e., THREE SBs!!! His leadership and CB skills are truly of HOF caliber. As Sprtsmac said, our younger guys can learn from one of the best -- veterans from all over the NFL learn from him too!

OK, back to Sq.1:
    CB Williams / McLeon CB Bly / RECRUIT
    FS, SS Arch / Herring FS, SS Coady / Sorensen
    Now let's make sure we copy and e-mail all our schemes to Martz and staff by season's end.
    GO DEE!! GO RAMS!!! :lid:
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-20-2001 at 04:11 AM.