39thebeast is offline Registered User

The future of the oline

Just thinking of a possitive thing we can get from the game.

We gave up no sacks and Jon Grecco actually got to play this week. Pace and Bell played well and Barron was up to his usual penalty ways. I've been calling for Grecco to start all year and with Cogs banged up I expect him to continue to impress. Romberg was solid and could be a good backup. If we draft a guy like Oher or smith who could immedeatly replace barron at RT our line isn't all that bad if we add a center.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Re: The future of the oline

Is the fact that we gave up no sacks a result of our good play or the lack of a Miami pass rush? Regardless we need to rebuild our O-line. We need tackles, both left and right, we are very thin and Pace may not be around for more than another year or 2. Barron is a bust, whenever he becomes a free agent, let him walk or sign him for back-up money. Guys we need to go for are Oher, Monroe and Smith(s) Andre and Jason. Later round guys like Tettle (sp?) (Cal) or Vandenheuval (Wisc) should be on our list as well.

We desperately need a center. A true leader of the O-line who will manage the offense up-front. Look what Nick Mangold was able to do for the Jets and they previously had good center in Kevin Mawae. I like a guy like Max Unger from Oregon because he has good size and versatility to play Guard. Guards can be found later in the draft, as we already have Cogs and Bell and will get Setterstrom back next year. This will be a very deep draft for Offensive Linemen.

Once we are content with our O-line then we can concentrate on MLB. This feels like the 1990's all over again, just please no Tony Banks at QB!!

Go Rams!

locazn is offline Registered User

I thought the O line played well against the fins.. we should get OT Andre Smith or LB Rey Maualuga - we need more solid tacklers on our team

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by locazn View Post
    I thought the O line played well against the fins.. we should get OT Andre Smith or LB Rey Maualuga - we need more solid tacklers on our team
    Can't argue with that logic. IF the best OT's are no longer available, I'm rooting for Maualuga.

However, I think we're drafting to replace Barron.

Pace held up, alot better than I thought. Jacob Bell showed up. Romberg did decent at center. Greco did pretty good at RG.

Yet Barron can still manage to screw things up with his penalties. We are replacing Barron next year for sure. I didn't like him when he first started here, and I STILL don't. Let him loose, he doesn't deserve the horns.

Could you imagine??

Pace - Bell - Draft/FA (POSSIBLY BIRK!!!!) - Greco - Smith/Oher/Monroe

I really hope they keep Greco in there. He deserves to start the rest of the year.

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

and here I thought it was a rhetorical question. As if our OL even HAD a future....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mde8352gorams View Post
    Is the fact that we gave up no sacks a result of our good play or the lack of a Miami pass rush? Regardless we need to rebuild our O-line. We need tackles, both left and right, we are very thin and Pace may not be around for more than another year or 2. Barron is a bust, whenever he becomes a free agent, let him walk or sign him for back-up money. Guys we need to go for are Oher, Monroe and Smith(s) Andre and Jason. Later round guys like Tettle (sp?) (Cal) or Vandenheuval (Wisc) should be on our list as well.

We desperately need a center. A true leader of the O-line who will manage the offense up-front. Look what Nick Mangold was able to do for the Jets and they previously had good center in Kevin Mawae. I like a guy like Max Unger from Oregon because he has good size and versatility to play Guard. Guards can be found later in the draft, as we already have Cogs and Bell and will get Setterstrom back next year. This will be a very deep draft for Offensive Linemen.

Once we are content with our O-line then we can concentrate on MLB. This feels like the 1990's all over again, just please no Tony Banks at QB!!

Go Rams!
    Are the majority of members on this board just incapable of giving anybody on this team credit when credit is due?

You're kidding right? The Dolphins came into this game with 28.0 sacks, amongst the leaders in the league, and have Joey Porter, who WAS on pace to break the NFL record for sacks. The Rams put a speed bump in that road by shutting him out yesterday, as he barely got within five yards of Bulger all day ...

This offensive line had a great day yesterday, and the only real difference was the insertion of Romberg into the lineup? Coincidence? Who knows, but this is practically the same line we fielded at the end of 2006, with the addition of Bell, that proven to be so dominate the final three games. Romberg is a much more physical presence than Leckey could even imagine being, and watch him, he definitely has a presence about him. He communicates with the other lineman, and they were definitely much more physical as a unit with him in the game ...

As for Barron, another poster simply writes that Barron was up to his usual "penalty ways" or however else they put it. Obviously you don't pay attention at all, as Barron had one of the best games I've ever seen him play, getting down field in the running game, including one play where he literally picked up Pittman and carried him for a couple yards. He dominated Porter anytime he lined up on his side ...

Yes, we do need to groom a replacement for Pace, but we have alot of solid pieces on this line. If Bell gets back to the 300 pound point, and Setterstrom can come back healthy, we seemingly have numerous quality players to build a solid line on. And Romberg, well, I don't know what else to say, but the one game the line had a really solid performance was the first game he started all year ...

Remember, coming into the season, it looked as if we were going to have practically the same line we had at the end of 2006. Memories of this line even sparked many analysts to say this our O-line might actually be one of the strengths of this team. An injury to Setterstrom, then to Romberg, left us with an inexperienced, undersized center in Leckey, and little to no depth. Romberg is back, Greco looked solid as a replacement for Cogs ...

Let's see what they do the next few games, but I am optimistic about this group. Pace, Barron, Bell, Romberg, Cogs, Greco, Setterstrom, Goldberg, Rookie LT and fill in the blanks. Looks like a group with potential to me ...

Another note on Barron, he's cut down the false starts this year ...

But no need to worry, if this group has another solid game against the Cards, I'll be waiting to hear the excuses ....

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

The biggest mistake we could make is to somehow convince ourselves after one good game that the line is okay and we don't need significant improvements. We need to look at the whole picture and not get tunnel vision because of one good performance. We need a future replacement for Pace, we need a true legitimate starter at center, and we need a replacement for Barron at right tackle because he should be gone after 2009. We likley won't be able to do it all in one offseason, but the work needs to start this spring.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Can't argue with that logic. IF the best OT's are no longer available, I'm rooting for Maualuga.

However, I think we're drafting to replace Barron.

Pace held up, alot better than I thought. Jacob Bell showed up. Romberg did decent at center. Greco did pretty good at RG.

Yet Barron can still manage to screw things up with his penalties. We are replacing Barron next year for sure. I didn't like him when he first started here, and I STILL don't. Let him loose, he doesn't deserve the horns.

Could you imagine??

Pace - Bell - Draft/FA (POSSIBLY BIRK!!!!) - Greco - Smith/Oher/Monroe

I really hope they keep Greco in there. He deserves to start the rest of the year.
    Guys you keep forgetting that Maualuga isn't even the best LB in the country so why are you all so high on him, and we aren't getting Birk...so we might as well keep going. I still don't know why we didn't sign Bentley, I thought he was healthy.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ManofGod View Post
    Guys you keep forgetting that Maualuga isn't even the best LB in the country so why are you all so high on him, and we aren't getting Birk...so we might as well keep going. I still don't know why we didn't sign Bentley, I thought he was healthy.
    We are talking inside linebacker aren't we? We already have enough outside linebackers, heck we've even got an outside backer playing the middle .. It is a matter of conjecture at this point who is the best ILB in the draft, but Rey Maualuga and John Laurinaitus appear appear to be the top guys in the country at this point ..
    Draft Countdown - 2009 NFL Draft | Inside Linebacker Rankings

2009 NFL Draft - Inside Linebacker Rankings

2009 NFL Draft: Top 6 College Prospects

Everyone is talking about M. Oher or Andre Davis being the best OT prospects available at OT in the 2009 draft. Just wondering if there is any love here for Eugene Monroe out of Virginia? Nick .. what's your view on Monroe? Would he look good in horns?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The Rams need to add 2-3 starter quality O linemen during the offseason. There should be an opportunity to take a Blue Chip OT (Andre Smith, Michael Oher, Eugene Monroe) in the first round. An interior lineman should be considered in the 2nd or 3rd round. I'd also try to obtain another starter in FA.

From the current crop, I see Pace as having another year or two left in the tank. Incognito, Greco, Bell and possibly Scheuning will be in the mix at OG. Barron might give us one more year, but I doubt he'll be resigned when his contract expires.

If this part of the team is fixed, a lot of other parts will fall into place.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

We definately need a center, I'm thinking we stick with the youth movement and go after Baltimores Jason Brown then we draft my favorite player in the Draft Oher and a guy later in the 4th or 5th to play RT when Oher goes to the left side. We will also keep either setterstrom or cogs along with the young guys grecco and schuening and Bells big contract. I think guard is the last position we need to adress on the o-line center and tackle are 1a and 1b IMO.

BTW when i said usual pena;ty ways i was talking about Barrons false start.