throwback week

Thread: Future Rams Rb?

moklerman Guest

Future Rams Rb?

Anybody watch NFL Europe this weekend? Fred Russell, allocated by the Rams, is playing for the Cologne Centurions and he looked pretty darned good. Great speed, vision and a real quick cutter. If he continues to play this well, he just might be the back to replace Faulk when he decides to hang it up. With Arlen Harris going to Detroit, there may even be a roster spot for Russell. He's a totally different kind of runner than Jackson and could provide the Rams with a Steeler-esque situation at rb.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Future Rams Rb?

...wait, people watch NFL Europe?
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

sbramfan Guest

Do we still have Aveon Cason?

I really think he showed some potential late in the year last year. Especially with receiving. He really had a Marshall-esque look to him going out for a screen pass.

I definitely feel this is Steven Jacksons weak point. People like to say that he's a decent receiver because he has good hands. I agree he has good hands and not all RB's do, but the problem is that his routes are slow to develop. I noticed, even last year, when Marshall stayed back to block, and then slipped out up the middle for a dump off pass, he stayed back, made his block, and then all of a sudden, he bursted 7 yards up the field, and turned around and was waiting for a possible pass. Steven Jackson drifts out for a pass, in a methodic way that is slow to develop and a quick LB is usually already in route to hit him for no gain, or a loss. He is a big guy that takes some momentum to get going. Probably the same reason he often doesn't get up to the line of scrimmage quick enough.

Rambos is offline Registered User

I think I would watch it more, if the teams with NFL players wore their team’s helmet. I spend more time looking for the NFL players then watching the game. Just me.

moklerman Guest

I haven't watched all the games in the past, but now that the NFL Network is carrying them, it will make it easier to keep track of when they're on, etc. I like watching NFLE more than say...Arena League Football because the guy's in NFLE are basically like a minor league NFL.

It's uncommon for the rb's to shine because of the simplisitc blocking schemes most teams use but it was an added bonus to see this guy Russell was allocated from the Rams. I usually don't search out the guys who are allocated from the Rams because they usually don't have anyone going that's going to be any more than special teams depth.

All in all, it's a qb development league in general but it's kind of an eye opener how these qb's play. Guy's who were pretty big names in college often look lost and unable to adapt to a new system. The one's who don't, have a shot at an NFL roster. Kingsbury looked like he had a little seasoning(the equivelant of a touch of salt) but the other qb's I saw were real rough around the edges. I wanted to see what Hensen from the Cowboys looked like but he wasn't in either of the games I watched.

moklerman Guest

I definitely feel this is Steven Jacksons weak point.
    I agree that SJ hasn't looked very impressive coming out of the backfield. Getting him in space seems like it would be a good thing but he definitely doesn't bring back memories of Marshall's heyday. Not to say that Russell will either, but he made the first tackler miss on many plays up the middle. His cuts always seemed to be to a lane or open space as well. Wasn't running up the back of his o-line. The field was very unkempt. No mud, but lot's of divets and genrally very torn up looking.

Rampage39 Guest

Dude. This Russell guy may thrive over in Europe but its a whole new level when he gets back home.

theodus69 Guest

Maybe it's a whole new level, but Jackson isn't all that in my book!

moklerman Guest

Dude. This Russell guy may thrive over in Europe but its a whole new level when he gets back home.
    That's sort of a given. However, he's on the Rams roster and he's showing well against NFL caliber talent. If a player can succeed in NFLE, there's a good chance he can make it or succeed in the NFL. We're only talking about one game so far so it's not much of an issue at this point. I just thought Rams fans might want to see a "Ram" actually playing football.

RamsFan16 Guest

Could our KR be on the roster already?

I know I'll get alot of crap for this but we have Fred Russell on our roster, currently playing for NFL Europe.

http://hawkeyesports.collegesports.c...ll_fred00.html

He had a 26yd Return avg his senior year. There are more stats nothing appealing but his senior year he did exeptionally well. He runs a 4.4 40. This is his agility.

AGILITY TESTS
    4.44 in the 40-yard dash 376-pound bench press 558-pound squat 326-pound power clean 38-inch vertical jump 28 7/8-inch arm length 8-inch hands.

Could we use him as a KR? I know you guys are going to hate on me for this but I'm just looking at all the possibilities.
    Last edited by Nick; -03-20-2006 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Merged your thread into this one since it's on the same player.

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage39
    Look at some of the players that played over there. Kurt Warner, Jake Delhome, Dane Looker (Solid player), Brian Finneran (Solid player). They listed a few yesturday but I can't remember them. He could have a solid career when he returns.

bigtiger737 Guest

Hey guys easy on Action Jackson, He is going into his 3rd year. Marshall will run a much better route because he has been playing for a yr or 2 more, not to mention he is argueable ( but not by me) the best catching HB in NFL history.. Give em a yr or 2 more then we can start calling him a bust

RamsFan16 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bigtiger737
    Hey guys easy on Action Jackson, He is going into his 3rd year. Marshall will run a much better route because he has been playing for a yr or 2 more, not to mention he is argueable ( but not by me) the best catching HB in NFL history.. Give em a yr or 2 more then we can start calling him a bust
    I agree. Jackson has done a great job with inconsistent carries. Next season with consistent carries. Its going to be freaky.