G Tom Nütten Q and A
Friday, August 20, 2004

(On if his return happened quick)
“Yeah, I would say so. I’m still having a hard time believing that I’m here. I have a long way to go, but I made the commitment. I do believe that it’s doable, and I’m here to help in any way I can.”

(On when the Rams contacted him)
“Not too long ago. I think it was Wednesday late afternoon. Then it happened very quickly. With my history, they needed to do a couple of medical checkups, which apparently I passed. Then there were a couple of official things that we needed to take care of. I came prepared. If it was going to be a go, I wanted to be ready to stay and here I am. I apologize to the kids who signed up to my football camp. That was the biggest decision I had to make, with the commitment (of his football camp in Germany) I had over there. But this was an opportunity, for me personally, that doesn’t come around too often. Hypothetically, people always ask ‘what would you do if a team calls you and wants you to come out of retirement?’ I always say, ‘I don’t know.’ Knowing that it’s a long shot that a team calls you anyway, especially an old team. If it would have been any other team, it would have been an easy answer, ‘No, no thank you.’ It was a hard decision. The hardest part was overcoming my commitment I had in Europe, but it’s an opportunity I didn’t want to slip away. And again, I apologize to the kids and hopefully I can make it up to them in some way.”

(On how he feels after the year off)
“It’s been a while since I pushed people around, so not doing that for a while helps the body. I trimmed down a little bit. There was no need for me to stay at (his playing weight), back then fighting weight. I try to stay in shape in a certain way, obviously not football condition. But it will definitely take a couple of day, if not a couple of weeks, to get back into the shape I like to be in. I told the Rams, that my goals are the highest goals set and it will be hard for me to reach those. I have memories of 1999 to 2001 that a level I remember playing at. That is what I would like to get back to. Will I be able to do that? I don’t know. All I know is that I will give 100 percent to get to that point.”

(On if he followed the Rams and if he was aware of the offensive line injuries)
“Limited. I am somewhat computer literate, enough to get on the internet. I see ESPN and other media, so I was able to keep up. I didn’t really know to what affect (the injuries) were. I didn’t get to see the game against the Bears. I had an idea, and I was crossing my fingers that they were going to find somebody. I didn’t think they were going to call me.”

(On if he wants to gain weight now that he’s back)
“Yeah, that’s definitely one of my goals. Quick weight gains, strength gain, and conditioning, all of the things that the off season is there for. Obviously, my off season is going to be two-and-a-half weeks long. I will do my best and I told them that. They know me. I’ve been around Rams Park long enough where they know me personally, and they know my commitment means a lot. They know I’m not here to waste their time, nor my time. I’m going to do anything possible to get to that weight, speed, and conditioning.”