Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By general counsel

Thread: Game 1 Review :FIVE UP & FIVE DOWN

richtree is offline Registered User

Game 1 Review :FIVE UP & FIVE DOWN

I would like to try to keep it simple and do a quick review for each game.

Since this is this first game it will be more of a broad look and it will get more detailed in week.

FIVE UP

#1 We have a young defensive unit that will be tough for years (esp with Brockers back)
    #2 Greg "the leg" Zuerlein will be our kicker for 7+ years
    #3 Richardson/Pead should be enough to fill as #2 running back
    #4 We won time of possession and turnover battle
    #5 Went on the road against top offensive unit and did not get intimidated (even w our youth)

FIVE DOWN
    #1 Bradford still doesn't buy time well and can't seem to look off defender for more attempts of 15+ yards down the field.
    #2 Piggybacking on #1 our Offensive Line didn't allow us to run the ball and create a feeling of losing the LOS on most offense plays
    #3 Our Tight ends are not involved in offensive scheme / or ineffective
    #4 Our injury concerns continue and our lack of depth (esp on offense) will be on-going issue
    #5 Dahl is a liability on defense and unless Stewart can play soon we will have to play more nickel and dime than we want too

Overall our effort is a B+ but the result for the overall game grade C+

Rams season is dependent on Bradford and Oline finding a way to get points early in games (not settling for FGs) - its a young season and WRs will develop

Game #2 Skins @ the dome
    Last edited by richtree; -09-10-2012 at 11:34 AM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: Game 1 Review :FIVE UP & FIVE DOWN

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    I would like to try to keep it simple and do a quick review for each game.

Since this is this first game it will be more of a broad look and it will get more detailed in week.

FIVE UP

#1 We have a young defensive unit that will be tough for years (esp with Brockers back)
    #2 Greg "the leg" Zuerlein will be our kicker for 7+ years
    #3 Richardson/Pead should be enough to fill as #2 running back
    #4 We won time of possession and turnover battle
    #5 Went on the road against top offensive unit and did not get intimidated (even w our youth)

FIVE DOWN
    #1 Bradford still doesn't buy time well and can't seem to look off defender for more attempts of 15+ yards down the field.
    #2 Piggybacking on #1 our Offensive Line didn't allow us to run the ball and create a feeling of losing the LOS on most offense plays
    #3 Our Tight ends are not involved in offensive scheme / or ineffective
    #4 Our injury concerns continue and our lack of depth (esp on offense) will be on-going issue
    #5 Dahl is a liability on defense and unless Stewart can play soon we will have to play more nickel and dime than we want too

Overall our effort is a B+ but the result for the overall game grade C+

Rams season is dependent on Bradford and Oline finding a way to get points early in games (not settling for FGs) - its a young season and WRs will develop

Game #2 Skins @ the dome
    I dont see how our effort rates below an A. Sure, we had execution issues in spots and my biggest disappointment was the lack of the ability of long and quinn to get more pressure on stafford, which really killed us, especially in the 4th quarter when stafford had all day to throw. Our offensive line is the biggest problem on our team and our inability to run the ball yesterday is clearly an issue. If we cant run the ball consistently this year we are going to have a tough time.

We played our hearts out on the road and took a playoff team down to the last ten seconds. Reasonable people can disagree on whether there is such a thing as a "good" loss or whether all losses count the same. I personally believe that this is a "good" loss, but my caveat is that it only really matters if we come back and repeat the performance, thereby beating washington next week. If we play like crap next week and lose to washington, any benefit from a "good" loss is essentially gone in my view.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Rambos, Nick, RockinRam and 1 others like this.

** Note --- Craig Dahl played more snaps than any other Rams player. All 69 on defense and 17 special teams plays

General Counsel to answer why they didn't get an A for effort:

1 - Bradford effort still not where it needs to be (He is our most important player)
    2 - Oline's lack of running gaps
    3 - Penatly(s) (avoidable, especially in key spots) --

(PENALTY on SL-B.Gibson, Unnecessary Roughness) -- Cost a chance at TD settled for FG instead

(PENALTY on SL-C.Dahl, Horse Collar Tackle, 15 yards, enforced at SL 47.) -- Cost us major field position

PENALTY on SL-C.Long, Neutral Zone Infraction...-- Helped move Det into FG range

PENALTY on SL-R.Watkins, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SL 29 - No Play.
    Cost us big 1st downI could live with the holding penalty because it happens, just sucked that it was a big 1st Down play.
    The other 3 penalties should not happen (2 personal fouls and a netruel zone infraction on huge set of downs)

That's why its not an A -- IS THAT CLEAR?

Dahl, Gibson, and Long -- all veteran players

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

I don't think failing to move Suh and Corey Williams to create running lanes is due to a lack of effort.

macrammer is offline Registered User

We played a team with arguably one of the best D lines in football so not running the ball effectively was not a real surprise to me....overall the patched up as the game wore on o line was not as bad as one would have suspected. I think Richardson is exciting and we should see more of his speed to help the running game.

I agree wholeheartedly on your comments regarding Bradford but tread lightly. Some folks here have swallowed the kool aid and take offense to anything objectively critical about our young QB, who to be fair, does not have Bruce, Holt and Pace as they would quickly point out.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

** Note --- Craig Dahl played more snaps than any other Rams player. All 69 on defense and 17 special teams plays

General Counsel to answer why they didn't get an A for effort:

1 - Bradford effort still not where it needs to be (He is our most important player)
    2 - Oline's lack of running gaps
    3 - Penatly(s) (avoidable, especially in key spots) --

(PENALTY on SL-B.Gibson, Unnecessary Roughness) -- Cost a chance at TD settled for FG instead

(PENALTY on SL-C.Dahl, Horse Collar Tackle, 15 yards, enforced at SL 47.) -- Cost us major field position

PENALTY on SL-C.Long, Neutral Zone Infraction...-- Helped move Det into FG range

PENALTY on SL-R.Watkins, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at SL 29 - No Play.
    Cost us big 1st downI could live with the holding penalty because it happens, just sucked that it was a big 1st Down play.
    The other 3 penalties should not happen (2 personal fouls and a netruel zone infraction on huge set of downs)

That's why its not an A -- IS THAT CLEAR?
    I don't see what any of those things have to do with the effort the players put in

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I don't see what any of those things have to do with the effort the players put in
    Effort is not just physical...it is mental as well.

Penalties are obviously mental mistakes, but personal fouls are always avoidable and dig your team into necessary problems

A personal foul = a weak effort mentally

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Effort is not just physical...it is mental as well.

Penalties are obviously mental mistakes, but personal fouls are always avoidable and dig your team into necessary problems

A personal foul = a weak effort mentally

In that case I certainly agree with the Gibson one, but I think Dahl's wasn't a mental mistake. He was just trying to tackle the guy and it was only after the Lions sideline called for the penalty that they got it.

I can't get too upset with Watkins' penalty. In fact as a whole I was surprised our OL didn't have more penalties, be them false start or holding, considering the nature of the injuries, the reshuffling, and the players they were going against.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Unless someone is clearly taking a play off or jogging then its tough to measure someone's effort so that seems like a weird discussion to have.

As for everything else I completely agree with you on Craig Dahl. I live in New York so I remember him being impossibly bad on the Giants in pre-season before the Rams got him, so clearly I was disappointed when he was signed. He hasn't been as bad as he looked when on the Giants but he is still a liability and has been for years, but for some reason he seems to be a defensive staple on the team. The Rams' secondary looks better than it has been in a decade but in order to really take the next step they should find a way for Craig Dahl to not be taking the most snaps on the team in week 1.

Despite the lack of talent and injuries on offense I was impressed with Shotty's play calling. It was far less predictable and more creative than the game plans of the 2 previous offensive coordinators. I'm looking forward to see what the offense can do when Quick gets on the field and hopefully Sam won't drastically underthrow wide open receivers downfield again this year.