Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FestusRam

Thread: Game 8 Opponent Analysis: the Desert Birds

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Game 8 Opponent Analysis: the Desert Birds

Well, we made it through (what most considered at the beginning of the season to be) the tough part of the schedule. Now we finally get to open our division schedule against a team who has had some of the same struggles as our beloved Rams. Even down to injured QBs. Here's what I'm seeing:

The O-line vs. Cards 3-4 blitz: We saw the same thing with the Ravens, Cowboys, and Packers. However, there is no Suggs, Ware, or Matthews on the Cards. In a rarity, the Cards feature 2 3-4 DEs that get good penetration in Campbell and Dockett. But less so on a consistent basis from their OLBs. Bad news....it's a 3-4. Good news....it's the most watered down 3-4 we've seen.

Rush D vs. ???? - Wells has put together a decent season so far, but is listed as Questionable. If he doesn't go, the pickings are slim for the birds. Of course, we do have a way of making backups look good (DeMarco Murray anyone?)

Pass D vs. Skelton - When the ball goes in the air, everyone in the world will know the intended target.....Fitzgerald. Fortunately, we have 3 CBs built to take on his physical play: Bartell, Fletcher, and Murphy.........oh, wait a minute.

Pass Rush vs. Cards O-line - They're giving up 3.5 sacks per game, and I doubt Skelton is going to be completely comfortable back there, especially if Wells can't go. Their interior has played okay, but the OTs Brown and Keith have had their struggles. Might Quinn and Long repeat their performance from last week?

Pass O vs. Cards DBs - Three of the top four tacklers on the Cards are CBs. That's not a good sign for a D. Because it means two things: 1) the opposing offenses are getting the ball into the secondary consistently, and 2) the opposing receivers are coming down with a lot of passes. Our all-of-a-sudden reborn passing game could take some huge strides forward, though they will do so w/o DX.

S-Jax vs. Cards Run D - The birds run D has been very solid. AP butchered and the Redskins hit in the mouth pretty good, but they have looked outstanding against some decent ground gaining teams like the Giants, Steelers, and Ravens. The front line does a good job of occupying blockers, and they do a good job of getting their 8th man in the box for run stopping. Jackson might have a hard path to grade this week.

Bottomline: This is a very winnable game, even w/o Bradford. Peterson has done a good job as a rookie Corner, but other than that they've had a hard time covering opposing receivers. Just find a way for S-Jax to crack that Run D, and they can move the ball on the birds. On the flip side, get to Skelton early and often, and force him to make mistakes.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: Game 8 Opponent Analysis: the Desert Birds

Other than their run defense they are horrible. On defense we need to stack the box with 8 and 9 man fronts. We have trouble against the run, and Beanie Wells is a monster. He will play. Leave the CB covering Fitzgerald with some safety help from Q or Stewart.

Let Skelton beat us, which I doubt he can. Especially with the lack of weapons he has. Heap isn't the same, and is banged up. Wells is banged up, but hes still great. Fitzgerald is amazing, and Doucet is below average.

On offense we have to spread the field. Dockett and Campbell are going to have to be blocked all game furiously. They have virtually no pass rush, and are weak at the back end. Rhodes is out with a broken foot too.

This game is in our hands. We have to come in and establish a run game early. Take a deep shot or two to Lloyd like last week. Open up and spread the field. If we can get a lead, it should be an easy win. It gives us the edge because we can send the house on the blitz. Also, that'd force them to stray away from the only thing they can do, run.

Their tackles are horrible. Brown and Keith are horrendous. Brown is the worst LT in the league, and Keith not far in the RT category. Long and Quinn should have a field day. Skelton is going to be eaten alive.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Pass D vs. Skelton - When the ball goes in the air, everyone in the world will know the intended target.....Fitzgerald. Fortunately, we have 3 CBs built to take on his physical play: Bartell, Fletcher, and Murphy.........oh, wait a minute.
    But isnt Bartell, Fletcher and Murphy all out for the season? oh wait a second, i see what you did there!!! clever clever guy you!!!!

If we can create pressure with our front 4 i think our current db's can handle the birds wr's, even if Fitzgerald does get a few nice grabs here and there(the guys a beast), we can only hope Skelton throws some nice inaccurate passes his way as hes getting mowed down by Long/Quinn/Hall and our DT's.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Say hello to Al Harris.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Honestly, I think their run D is a bit overrated as well. They've been gashed by quite a few teams and Rice lit them up for 3 endzone appearances last week. You could say his avg ypc was under 4, but dont forget the fact that several goal line carries will hurt that. Jackson will wear them down and i think we get Salas even more involved in the catch and run game. IMO, the absolute key to this game is pressure on Skeletor. You see what pressure did to Brees? I get goosebumps imagining what it would do to the birds backup.
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    IMO, the absolute key to this game is pressure on Skeletor.
    Nice, at least this "irrational Rams fan" has a nickname worth stealing.

Anyhow, this game really is huge for the Rams in terms of showing progress. If there is one place we can win on the road, it's Arizona. The Rams are 5-4 in Arizona since they joined the division and it is not the time to let them tie that record!!! That being said, I couldn't agree more that we need to force whoever their QB is, to beat us and lockup Fitz with help nearly every play. I can imagine that they will be trying to make AJ beat them as well. If SJax can still get rolling despite the stacked box, I see us pulling out another win and taking steps in the right direction.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Say hello to Al Harris.
    You do have that right, of our corners, he's the best one to be able to handle him, but at this stage in his career, he's going to need help over the top because he can't keep up with Fitzy once he breaks the jam. But it's my big opinion that we need to make Skelton beat us with someone else. Keep him under wraps and lay some hats on Beanie's knee and we should come out ok.
    I believe!