Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Game Injuries

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Game Injuries

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Well, for one, I believe there is something in the CBA about cutting an injured player, but that may just be about settlement and not necessarily the team's perogative to cut. But the bigger point is cutting him does absolutely nothing for the Rams (I doubt there's even a cap saving with accelerated bonus money). IR'ing him keeps him on the team without taking up a roster spot. Next year, one of two things happens......he gets healthy and contributes or doesn't and most likely faces retirement.
    I understand your point,and to what you are saying cutting him does absolutely nothing for the Rams, well standing on the sidelines for every game does absolutely nothing for the Rams either.if the team feels he has a chance to come back then fine IR him,if they don't just cut your losses and move on,which sucks because I really like the guy but this team needs guys who can play and make plays and I am not so sure Carriker can do that.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I'm honestly not sure how cutting Carriker would work. 2010 is an uncapped year and the CBA prohibits deferring cap hits to the uncapped year. This is why we didn't have any June 1st cuts because they were prohibited. If you cut a guy now, how does that work? Everyone else the Rams cut had their entire cap hit rolled into 2009 so that 2010 would be clean. There was no mention of it in regards to Tye Hill. It may be physically impossible to cut Carriker because they may not have the cap space. I don't know how all of that works in a season like this.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    I'm honestly not sure how cutting Carriker would work. 2010 is an uncapped year and the CBA prohibits deferring cap hits to the uncapped year. This is why we didn't have any June 1st cuts because they were prohibited. If you cut a guy now, how does that work? Everyone else the Rams cut had their entire cap hit rolled into 2009 so that 2010 would be clean. There was no mention of it in regards to Tye Hill. It may be physically impossible to cut Carriker because they may not have the cap space. I don't know how all of that works in a season like this.
    I don't either and like you said it may not be possible to cut Carriker from a financial standpoint,it's just my opinion on what I would do if possible.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I understand your point,and to what you are saying cutting him does absolutely nothing for the Rams, well standing on the sidelines for every game does absolutely nothing for the Rams either.if the team feels he has a chance to come back then fine IR him,if they don't just cut your losses and move on,which sucks because I really like the guy but this team needs guys who can play and make plays and I am not so sure Carriker can do that.
    And that is what the whole argument hangs on. IF the team feels he comes back from this (which is what I hope for), then IR him and fill his roster spot with someone else; see ya next year, kid.

However, IF the team feels the injury is such that his recovery will not produce a worthwhile candidate, then yea, cut him. Cut him, arrange for an injury settlement, and let's move on down the road.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

It's sad that Carriker can't stay healthy, and thank god there is some signs of Darel Scott doing some things on the run and pushing people around. He's a big boy. But it saddens me to see him go. But its time to start looking else where for talent, this guy is just on of those injury prone guys, who never seem to be on the healthy end of the stick.

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    And that is what the whole argument hangs on. IF the team feels he comes back from this (which is what I hope for), then IR him and fill his roster spot with someone else; see ya next year, kid.

However, IF the team feels the injury is such that his recovery will not produce a worthwhile candidate, then yea, cut him. Cut him, arrange for an injury settlement, and let's move on down the road.
    the situation sucks Hub,is it possible that they will really know everything they need to know by Saturday before cuts ? If I had to bet on it I would say he does get put on IR,I just hope it turns out to be the right decision.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12