• 6 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 2 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By isaacbruce4ever
  • 2 Post By mde8352gorams
  • 1 Post By 10m39s80i81t

Thread: Game Observations

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Game Observations

Watched the entire game today. I can't say that I'm particularly upset because I didn't expect much to be quite honest- I thought we were in a tough spot today going to SF and playing a team that A) hammered us the 1st time we played and B) still has work to do to secure a playoff spot. Of my many observations, three things stuck out:

1) The NFL has turned the game into a complete joke in the name of "player safety". I am all for efforts to curb head injuries, eliminate cheap shots, leading with the head, etc. But it is apparent that the league doesn't want hard defense to be a part of the game anymore. You can't hit high, you can't go low, you can't have even light contact with a sliding QB, a defender is expected to adjust in mid-air on hits to an offensive player- just ridiculous. There are too many penalties called, and it sucks watching a game, getting excited after a good play and then see a flag. And it will only get worse.

For the players part, the fundamentals are atrocious- and this is a big reason for over officious refs. The form tackle has all but disappeared from defensive play, players instead trying to blast a guy without wrapping him. Players routinely grab and hold on the line of scrimmage. Rare is the punt return where there isn't a hold or block in the back. Where are all the coaching geniuses in this sport? Does ANYONE emphasize the importance of fundamentally sound ball? How hard is it to not commit a dozen penalties a game?

2) We are in dire need of another cornerback. Our guys hold, give too much cushion and generally play way beneath what is expected in a good defensive secondary. And given the fact we have an above average pass rush and linebacker play, it's all the more inexcusable because their job should be easier.

3)After watching about 800 dropped passes, I really wonder if some of these guys are the answer. We talk about "better offensive talent", but games like this illustrate just how many question marks still exist with this group. Jared Cook remains an enigma- a guy whose physique, quickness and overall talent should translate into monstrous games on a consistent basis, but too often is a dog. He drops balls, commits stupid penalties and doesn't always appear focused. Givens all but disappeared again today and had a huge drop. Pettis was a non-factor. I understand they're working with a back-up QB. But this is the time to elevate your game and help the guy out. Run the right routes and catch the football.

I can't fault the overall effort. And I think it is clear just how important the quarterback is in today's NFL.
    RealRam, MFranke, laram0 and 3 others like this.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Re: Game Observations

The biggest observation I had was the coaching. I thought they were trying to be too cute today. There were three plays specifically, the 99% make-able third and 18 inches with Stacy up the gut but instead going long to Givens and him (very predictably) dropping it while inexplicably trying to tie himself into a pretzel gain, the going for it on fourth down instead of kicking the field goal and making it a one score game (16 - 9) with 6:46 to go in the game, and the very ill timed fake punt.

The Rams should have stubbornly stayed with what has gotten them decisive wins the last two weeks - the run. By the forth quarter, the niner defense was starting to crack a little with Stacy and Cunningham starting to gash them up the middle. I feel if they had stayed with smash-mouth football and stayed away from the trickeration this week, they would still be playing in OT (16-16).

general counsel is offline Registered User

Savage, with 646 to go in the game we were down 23-6 when we went for it on fourth down. The field goal would not have made it a one score game, it would have made it a two score game and i think it was the right call. The fake punt was a good call and bad execution, if we get the one block the pitch to bailey is open for the first down. Lets face it, we werent going to drive the ball down the field against them for two td's with our offense today, we needed to try something.

Agree completely that corner is a real need. I think there is a real chance we will take one in round one.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    live4ramin and Haste like this.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

You're right GC, I forgot the fake punt and niner TD happened before the Rams went for it instead of kicking the FG.

I still think the fake punt was not a good call. There was 14:42 still left to go in the forth, with them down by only ten.

Nonetheless, they abandoned the run too quickly IMO. Relying on Clemens and the inconsistent play of the recievers to win this game was an overall bad decision.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

I didn't get to watch the game, but per ESPN the Defense had 11 TFLs. That's pretty impressive. Looks like the Run D was solid today.

Any thoughts from someone who was able to watch the game?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

isaacbruce4ever is offline Registered User

The defense kept the Rams in the game. I don't recall if it was late in the 1st or some time in the 2nd Q but there was a stat that said the Rams had run a total of 6 plays for 11 total yards. Later in the 2nd, the Rams had been penalized for 60yds and the offense had only gained 57yds.

If it was not for the play of the D, it would have been a blowout.
    Last edited by isaacbruce4ever; -12-02-2013 at 12:28 AM.
    hawaiianpunch likes this.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I watched the game as it was a local telecast for me. My initial thought was Kellen Clements is the back-up we thought he was. Serviceable bit frequently inaccurate and doesn't place the ball always where the receiver can catch it. Aside from that Chris Givens lasted till round 4 for a reason, he drops a lot of balls. I still like him and am glad we have him, but he's not a dependable WR, unless perhaps Sam is throwing to him. The fake punt was a good move at the time. We had a chance to extend the drive because it's tough to move the ball consistently on the *****. I think we got beat by a better team today. As the announcers said frequently to my surprise, we are a good young team with a bright future, and that's exactly what we are. The effort and determination was there and the TFL's was impressive. Make no mistake SF knew they were in a football game today. One last point, I do hope Jared Cook becomes more relaible as a receiver as we're paying him huge $ and he should be doing better.

NJ, I agree with your points about the flags its getting absurd. Dunbar's penalty was a bad call. Forgot to add, I thought it was ironic that our touchdown came on the play we tried on 4th down vs Seattle, a lob pass to Quick. How diffrent our season might have been if it had worked back then.

Go Rams!
    Last edited by mde8352gorams; -12-01-2013 at 11:23 PM.
    ram3057 and Randart like this.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Failure to execute throughout the game doomed the offense,imo, but I was really puzzled by that slow deliberate drive that led to the failed 4th &11. These guys can't run the sugar huddle ? you can still run the ball & play with a sense of freakin' urgency. Nor do I agree with the decision not to take the FG. Take the points & don't concede the game with 5-6 mins left.

And why so little Benny or at least try to get Pead involved as a pass catcher ? Did Kendricks even play ?

10m39s80i81t is offline Registered User

I almost broke my tv trying to punch kaepernick in the face. lol. This safety rule is BS and only benefits QBs? So he can just slide into a defender anytime he wants and that defender has to be a ninja to avoid a penalty? After he got cocky about it, the ref should've flagged Kap for taunting. That would of been fair.
    renrawtruk likes this.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Just a frustrating, agonizing experience all around. Agonizing because the Rams could have gone toe to toe with the whiners the entire game had it not been for the multitude of penalties, numerous dropped passes, and misplaced gimmick plays.