RamWraith is offline Registered User

Game plan for Rams: Stomp on Raiders, build momentum

By Jeff Gordon
    STLTODAY.COM SPORTS COLUMNIST
    08/24/2007

So what do the Rams need to do in Oakland during their third preseason game?

What the Saints did to the Chiefs on Thursday night in Kansas City. New Orleans handled the Chiefs 30-7 and got its high-powered offense in sync.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees didn’t even play a full half, yet he completed 17 of 19 passes for 182 yards and one touchdown. The New Orleans defense attacked young Chiefs quarterback Brodie Croyle, forcing him to suffer a nightmarish 5-for-17 performance.

The Saints are NFC title contenders. They have high expectations for this season. The rebuilding Chiefs face a tough road back into AFC contention.

So during Week 3 of the preseason -– the last time most stars see any meaningful action before the regular season -– this was an appropriate outcome for teams in contrasting circumstances.

The Rams must view the Raiders game the same way. Oakland has a new coach, Lane Kiffin, and a new quarterback, Dolphins washout Daunte Culpepper.

The Raiders are trying to undo the damage of their chaotic 2006 season, when they finished 2-14. They are doing so without the No. 1 overall pick in the ’07 NFL Draft, unsigned quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Kiffin has an enormous task at hand. The Raiders have been a laughingstock in recent seasons. The AFC is a far more powerful conference, top to bottom, than the NFC.

By contrast, Rams coach Scott Linehan has his program rolling smoothly in Year Two. His team’s injury troubles are relatively minor at this point and he appears to have almost all of his pieces in place.

Now it is time to play a crisp preseason game. Now it is time to prepare for the season opener, since the Governor’s Cup game against Kansas City will primarily be an exercise for the back-ups and those young players trying to claim the last few roster spots.

Week 4 of the preseason will bring us the Gus Frerotte Game as Linehan puts his best players in bubble wrap.

During Week 2 of the preseason, the Rams first-team offense (minus Steven Jackson) moved the ball against San Diego but failed to score touchdowns. Fullback Madison Hedgecock killed one potential scoring drive with a fumble and quarterback Marc Bulger killed another with his end zone interception.

“You don’t want any turnovers, but if you throw the football you’re going to have a few,” Linehan said. “You just want to have a lot more positive things in the passing game than negative. You just practice it and stress it.”

Defensively, the Rams missed some open-field tackles and became vulnerable to San Diego’s established ground game, even with LaDainian Tomlinson wearing street clothes. They also failed to force a turnover, which is a point of emphasis with the Jim Haslett-coached defense.

“Defensively, you work at getting the ball out,” Linehan said. “We haven’t seen that yet here in preseason, but it was very effective for us last year.”

On special teams, Linehan’s gave up a punt return touchdown. That can’t happen in real games, ever. New special teams coach Al Roberts has to get the coverage teams ready.

Every problem the team suffered last season cropped up again in the Chargers game. Hence the focus on this game, the Rams’ last preseason chance to work all their front-line players in game conditions.

“Almost all (first-teamers) will play the entire first half,” Linehan said. “Possibly the opening drive of the second half. Have the (second-teamers) finish the second half. Most everybody that has a great shot at being on the final 53 will play at least a half.”

We’re not asking Linehan to give Jackson 20 carries in this game or expose Bulger to needless danger. But it IS fair to expect the first-team offense to score a couple of touchdowns, since running back Brian Leonard, receiver Drew Bennett and tight end Randy McMichael have joined an already formidable attack.

The Rams need to start quickly this season. Their early schedule is favorable. They need to bank some victories, since their schedule turns ugly midway through the campaign.

Linehan’s team needs to generate some momentum -– and that has to start tonight in Oakland.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Re: Game plan for Rams: Stomp on Raiders, build momentum

It would be nice to see the offense finish off drives with points. It would be nice to see the defense attack the line of scrimmage, and tack advantage of a weak Faider O line. And of course, NO INJURIES.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

BayArea408Niner is offline Registered User

I can give you your winning game plan vs the Raiders in two words: Show up.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BayArea408Niner View Post
    I can give you your winning game plan vs the Raiders in two words: Show up.
    If we don't show up in Choaktown against the Faiders for the first half, we've got problems.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I think the real question is how many sacks will the Rams have this evening?
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

suhpr3me is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    I think the real question is how many sacks will the Rams have this evening?
    Lets give Dante Cullpepper a taste of the grass, and have him get used to it, seeing he will be on the ground most of this season.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I think the starters on offense have to score some touchdowns, nevermind this plain vanilla crap,go after them and show them the Rams are contenders, I don't buy into saving things until the season,go out kick some butt and let people know about the Rams, teams just don't sneak up on the league anymore,it may have happened a few times but not so much anymore.show the NFL the Rams are for real.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

So what do the Rams need to do in Oakland during their third preseason game?

What the Saints did to the Chiefs on Thursday night in Kansas City. New Orleans handled the Chiefs 30-7 and got its high-powered offense in sync.

Saints quarterback Drew Brees didn’t even play a full half, yet he completed 17 of 19 passes for 182 yards and one touchdown. The New Orleans defense attacked young Chiefs quarterback Brodie Croyle, forcing him to suffer a nightmarish 5-for-17 performance.

The Saints are NFC title contenders. They have high expectations for this season. The rebuilding Chiefs face a tough road back into AFC contention.
    OMG, it's pretty sad that I recall reading this before the Raiders game and thinking that this is exactly what the Rams need to do....and then I watched the game and we look like a joke out there.

I don't see any improvement with tackling and in fact, we could even go in the other direction this year. Ouch!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by renrawtruk View Post
    I don't see any improvement with tackling and in fact, we could even go in the other direction this year. Ouch!
    I seriously hope you are wrong.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8