throwback week

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Question Game planning for the Seahawks this Sunday

If you were Jim Haslett, What would your defensive game plan be going into this Sundays game?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Game planning for the Seahawks this Sunday

First of all I would put a spy on Seneca Wallace. I would also crowd the line of scrimmage and challenge the shorter Wallace to throw the ball. The D line would have drilled into their heads to recognize the pass and get their hands up to hopefully deflect some of the passes.

Our secondary would know that they are going to be challenged like never before. It's up to them to fill their rolls and spaces and trust each other.:r

Hawkfandyno Guest

Getting pressure is the key, seattle is second in the league in Sacks, but we are also near the top in sacks given up. So, shaking the confindence of our young starter is a must. and if you let Mo Maurice run even close to the yardage that LT and Johnson did, you are done. That being said, Mo may break 100 (i believe he had 74 in st. louie). containing Seneca is a challenge as well, as he showed on monday night, he is mobile and throws well on the run.

the oakland game was the first time our running game showed signs of life, but Oakland is not a good run defense, their forte is passing D. the rams are about the same when it comes to run D. if you dont stop the run, this could be ugly.
    Last edited by Hawkfandyno; -11-08-2006 at 04:00 PM.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    If you were Jim Haslett, What would your defensive game plan be going into this Sundays game?
    The same as it always is; Stop the run, if that's at all possible.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Boy, I'm glad I don't have to do the game-planning with our D....

I would have to say; "pick your poison". We can put pressure on Seneca by blitzing, but he'll scramble out of the pocket, and with his speed that would be a problem. If we put someone on him to shadow him, that's taking someone away from pass coverage. And right now, we can't cover anyone without doing that, so I don't know if that's something we want to do.

I think laram hit it pretty square when he wrote about Seneca's size. We must try to take away his throwing lanes because with his size, he must get to his lanes or he'll throw a lot of "sailers", or get them tipped at the line. But again, he'll scramble out of the pocket and make his lanes if we clog them at the line. Again, I'm not too keen on the idea of someone being a "spy" on Wallace. Who do you use to spy on him?

I think we need to remember that although Seneca isn't a rookie, he's not exactly a seasoned veteran. His NFL experience is limited, for sure. So, knowing that, I'd make him think, I'd make him guess. I'd use the same game plan we used in game one that confused the Broncos, particularly Plummer, so well. I'd send people at him from all over. I'd do everything in the playbook to disquise what I'm going to do. ...and I'd do it right out of the gate.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Not to suck!

lol, I'd probably say the defense should be in a lot of QB contain, and blitz only on 2nd, 3rd and longs. Wallace CAN run, and will run when the D blitzes EVERY play which they try to do a lot and fail miserably (Just look at last game!). So, yeah I'd say they should keep it simple and just right to contain the offense.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

methodical_reaction Guest

I don't think 'spy coverage' is going to do the trick I think pressure from the edges to try and flush Wallace up the middle if he is going to run. I believe he will be less inclined to run up the middle of the field and, as stated in this thread already, the secondary has to play better espcially where Deion Branch is concerned.

Hit Wallace early and often and I wouldn't mind taking a penalty early in the game to insure that little turd knew there was a defense on the field. That and bend but don't break on containing the running game, and most of all

GET OFF THE FIELD!!:l

MonaLisaOverdrive Guest

I believe he will be less inclined to run up the middle of the field
    I dunno about that... did you watch the MNF game? Seneca took the snap, dropped back and the red sea parted in front of him, so he took off up the middle for a 37 yard run. I don't think he minds running up the middle. (he took off up the middle, then ran to the sideline)