Thread: Game Talk?

MsWistRAM is offline Registered User

Game Talk?

I don't see anything about the Hall of Fame game. So exactly what is everyone looking for in this and the other forums on the games? Who's supposed to do the reporting? How can I talk about it if I don't know what to say? Someone get this ball rolling.

MsWistRAM-Hope, not expectation.

DJRamFan is offline Registered User
    I'm at work now so i can't post much, but i will be posting my thoughts on the game later in the afternoon so you can check back soon.

Hopefully in here can be an area to talk about the next game or the last game. There's a forum for armchair quarterbacks where we can question calls and such. But don't worry :cool: we'll get more posts in here

I don't know about reporting, but probably general thoughts on the game from members is sufficient - especially those that watched the game.
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

gamebreake is offline Registered User
    well i must say trung looked good before he got hurt and well..... the rookies well they played like rookies lewis seems like he will be a good one but all in all it was the first preseason so there really isn't much to judge right now lets see how they look around game three how did whynn(?) do? just watched the first half really

DJRamFan is offline Registered User

my thoughts

ok here are my thoughts on the game yesterday....

the first quarter sucked on both sides of the ball. warner got 3 snaps in then had to punt, and he was done. no passes, nothing. I'm getting a little nervous (whether i should or not who knows) about the Warner-Germaine thing. joe's getting a large portion of the attention and snaps because when (not if) kurt goes down this year he's gotta step in. I say when because in the state of the NFL, its a rarity that QBs play all games. Joe will undoubtedly play and maybe even start so for that i'm glad...BUT with all this attention on him i worry about the status of warner. he needs his reps and attention too. He's got the offense, but he needs to get the timing back. Its just the 1st game, but i want to see KW get more series so he gets his stuff together as well.

The new defense...eh...there were good spots and bad spots. As a whole, they started out like crap making fiedler look like marino. But thankfully they started to play better, but the first series was horrible, missed tackles, etc. Lewis...damione was a BEAST! two sacks and just flat out DOMINATED his adversary. Archuleta (who has a shot at being my fave on D) also played bad...he was slow to react and often was beat. But he started to play better. He's got the skills, but needs more time to "read the ball" (Archuleta said that i think). He's not used to being so far away from the scrimmage. He did better, but needs some work. Polley showed promise, but made a STUPID penalty by making a late hit sending a Dolphin into a table.

Key injuries...canidate could easily have pulled a groin, tore an ACL, and twisted his ankle, but apparently there's a possible "bruise" of the knee. I've been combing the internet looking for reports, but found nothing. He should have an MRI done today (Tuesday). From the looks of it, he could be out the season, but stranger things have happened. It could be a couple of weeks or a whole bunch of months without him. I'm personally a pessimist (that way i get surprised more ) so who knows......Justin. Torn ACL. I saw cut him. Bulger looked tight. Justin knows the system so keep him on the coaching staff, but empty his locker. he'll be holding a clipboard anyway.

As far as WRs, nobody stood out.

Grades...
    Germaine - B+ - started out like a deer in headlights, but calmed down and was totally in control...well done.
    Defense - C - average, score was kept low, but many missed tackles and assignments, needs work.
    Warner - Incomplete - give him the ball a little bit - he shoulda had one more small series
    Lewis - A-
    Polley - B-
    Archuletta - C+
    DJRamFan
    ClanRam Fantasy Football Commissioner
    2003 & 2004 ClanRam Cup Champion

ClanRam

LONG LIVE MIKE MARTZ

NFL Champions: 1945, 1951
    NFC Champions: 1979, 1999, 2001
    Division Champions: 1945, 1949-1951, 1955, 1967, 1969, 1973-1979, 1985, 1999, 2001, 2003

Super Bowl XXXIV Champions

AJD45 is offline Registered User

some rookie thoughts

Ok, as my first post here, let me try to sound some (hopefully coherent) thoughts:

First, it was preseason , and the first preseason game at that, so I don't want to get too emotional or over-analyze things. No conclusions about the season can be drawn yet. However, there were some key questions I had going into the 2001 debut, and the Rams did not fare very well on them.

1. Is the defense big enough to stop a power running game? Not Monday night. Miami was a tough first test, but they ran over and through them with ease, churning up 10 yards a carry and steamrolling thru uncontested on an up-the-gut 1st and goal. Note that Miami's defense, one we should want to emulate, stuffed the Rams on several goal-to-go runs, and even got a fumble out of Canidate on the 1-yard line.

2. Can we stop a late down / long distance situation? I swear we have been cursed since the Detroit (4th and 28 or whatever) fiasco. I would much rather our opponent be 3rd and 5 than 3rd and 13, because we always seem to give up at least 14 yards on the latter. On Monday, it seemed like our secondary was way too soft in these long yardage situations again.

3. Is the defense more fundamentally solid? Meaning: can we actually tackle somebody this year? This was probably the most distressing thing about Monday night. It's a nice change watching guys fly to the ball and keep coming, but it is frustrating only to see that effort wasted on missed tackles that give up an extra 10 yards.

4. Will the new guys and new coach shake up a new attitude and new results on special teams? Sure, there was a good kick return, but I don't really care about our return game. It is a nice weapon to have, but I'm confident that our offense can move and score starting anywhere. What is concerning is our punt/kick coverage, and on Monday we continued the exact same atrocious coverage. Our defense cannot survive in constant short-field situations.

It is disappointing that the Rams graded poorly on my top concerns, but again, it's barely August. A lot will change in 4 more weeks. The way I'm going to look at it is that they have 4 more preseason games to right the ship. I'd rather they be aware of what's wrong than cruise thru preseason with these problems untested and still hidden.

As far as individual performances, I agree with Warnerfan re: the Germaine and Lewis highlights, and the woes of Archuletta. And about the point that Kurt needs work, that's agreed, too, but I expect he will get the ball more --usually the practice is to use the second-to-last preseason game as the dress rehearsal (so starters can rest and avoid injury in the last game). So if we're still talking about this stuff August 26th after San Diego, then we have cause for worry.
    Last edited by AJD45; -08-07-2001 at 08:36 PM.

Aries51 is offline Registered User
    That was a darn good first post.Some good points made.I think we ought to look at the big picture though.Last nights game,even though it was the 1st pre- season game spoke volumes.Our defense is going to be better .I think that is the bottom line.A lot of mistakes were made and we did have the 3rd down curse,but I would take this present group over last years anyday.Lovie Smith has them hustling and playing hungry.That alone will be a difference maker later in the season.Our offense wasnt really there so thats a hard one to judge.We know our offense is great,so I'm not concerned there.I've read alot of gloom and doom on last nights game(From other newsletters and boards)and I think we,as Rams fans, are spoiled(isnt it great)and now our expectations are sky high.Overall,I think last nights game was a plus,not a minus.

GO RAMS!
    ST.LOUIS RAMS:THE MOST FRUSTRATING TEAM IN THE NFL!!!

MsWistRAM is offline Registered User
    Ok, we have 4 more preseason games to get through before it all starts to count toward something. Martz is all for preserving his best players and I think that's what Warner's less-than-impressive performance was all about. He is great in camp, but he knows that noone will hit him, either. I think they avoided the long pass to keep from exposing him to a big hit.

Trung's knee is just sprained, tweeked if you will. They say a couple of weeks, tops. He has some Faulk-like skills, but Hakim's tendency to lose the ball. Hopefully he will get that ironed out. Keep an eye on that #34 RB Aveion Cason, that guy has great hands!

Paul Justin is out, that's all there is to it. Torn ACL. Marc Bulger was surprisingly good for what little he played. But, knowing Martz, that won't be enough to get him the #3 spot. He might bring in someone with more experience. If Marc is lucky, he impressed enough to get it. We'll see.

Lewis is a breath of fresh air. Glad he's on our side. He will make an immediate impact.

Germaine, at one point, scrabbled back so far, if he had been taken down, it would have been a loss of at least 15 yards. And that was when we were at the goal line! At least he had the head to get rid of it, but that one worried me. He needs to have more confidence in him self. Let's ban this man from the media so everyone else's opinion won't affect him so much.

Not a high scoring game, says something about the defense but probably more about Miami's offense. Again, 4 more to go and I don't expect to see any good games till the last two when Faulk and Warner are in it more along with the big guns on D.
    MsWistRAM-Hope, not expectation.

txramsfan is offline Registered User
    I won't start worrying about the defense as a unit until the last preseason game. This is a weird game to try to play in anyway, it is staged in a high school field for Rams sakes. AA needs help with the passing game, no big relevation there. He knows it, and welcomes the chances to hone his skills in all these gripping preseason fiascos that cost regular season ticket prices and that season ticket holders and mini package buyers were at least forced to purchase one. However, glad to see it may not be serious for Candidate. Looked impressive on the screen, but Martz liked his three yard gain, instead of the four yard loss that it could have been.

Enjoyed the passion of Polley and Lewis. That enthusiasm was lacking quite a bit last year.

Germaine, did what he needed to do. Settled down and threw the ball exactly like someone who is comfortable with the offense. Made a bunch of good reads.

Now, I won't dissect a preseason game all the way through the 4th Qtr, but glad to see that Bulger played well. However guys, it was the 4th qtr of preseason. Pitch and catch.

rampower is offline Registered User
    That winning feeling was nice, but I don't want to read into it too much a long way to go before the season. I do worry about Candidate, will he spend his whole nfl life on the injured list? I hope he doesn't, from what people say he looked quite sharp on monday.