Thread: Game Thoughts

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Game Thoughts

I thought the team played good as a whole considering it was the first pre-season game.

The defense made some nice plays especially the first play of the game. I thought Carriker was as advertised, and will only get better. I saw solid tackling, and better coverage. Todd Johnson is a solid addition, he had a couple of nice hits.

I was very impressed with Brian Leonard, he is going to make some clutch plays this season. He kind of reminds me of Mike Guman; (Guuuuuu!). The starting O line looked solid, it was good to see McCollum back and holding his own. Bennett looked faster than I thought and made some nice catches.

The special teams looked a lot better than it has, they still need some work, but it was refreshing to see some solid hits on coverage, and a few positive returns.

There is still a long way to go, but I feel very positive going into the season. Hopefully, things well continue to improve. :l

JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

yellow and blue is offline Registered User

Re: Game Thoughts

who was this kicker that kicked the winner?

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Some thoughts on the first half...

• Starting off with a penalty on special teams was not the first impression I was hoping the unit would make. That being said, I thought Derek Stanley showed some flashes as a return man, but it's going to be hard for a WR/KR to make this roster with a lot of talent at the receiver spot and Dante Hall basically a lock to return on special teams.
    • Bulger looked on the money except for the interception, which was basically a pop fly tip. But other than that he was accurate and made good decisions, and I don't think he took any major hits.
    • Adam Carriker looked like the real deal tonight. He could have done a better job collapsing the pocket against the pass, but he was all over the place defending the run. He got the better of Matt Birk more than once and generally held his ground very well. He seemed to be around the ball quite a bit.
    • About a week ago, Torry Holt said his knee was at 70%. Either he's now healed completely or he's good at hiding the remaining discomfort, because he was sharp tonight. His first catch - a 13-yarder against Cedric Griffin - was a nice crisp route near the sidelines that looked about as textbook as you could get.
    • Ron Bartell looked shaky as a starting cornerback tonight. He gave up big plays to Bobby Wade twice, playing off of Wade during the route and then whiffing on the tackle as he closed the gap. Maybe he needs to get the rust out, but I wasn't confident in what I saw in the first quarter.
    • Brian Leonard looked a little jittery at first, but once the second team was in he did well. His night can probably best be summed up as a mix of a couple short gains combined with a few nice bursts, one for a touchdown. He looked completely comfortable as a receiver out of the backfield as well.
    • The pass rush seemed rather underwhelming, though that might have been due to a combination of Tarvaris Jackson's scrambling ability as well as the short and intermediate routes the Vikings were running. The jury is out for me, and I'm not worried but it's at least something to watch for in the later games.

I didn't watch the second half so I didn't get to see many of the third stringers.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I didn't watch the second half so I didn't get to see many of the third stringers.
    The third string O was a little shaky when Fitz was in. He got pummeled a few times and threw a pick. Brock Berlin looked ok, he lead the game wining drive.

who was this kicker that kicked the winner?
    Kevin Lovell rookie out of Cincinnati
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

My thoughts are that it looked like a first preseason game usually does. Sloppy at times, plain vanilla offense, some guys "on the bubble" trying to make impressions and looking great against 2nd, 3rd and 4th teams.

But what was most pleasing to me, and most importantly, no injuries!

As far as individual efforts, I thought the first string offense was okay, nothing special, but Linehan's not going to show anything on O during the preseason anyway. Holt and Bruces are, well, Holt and Bruce. I liked what I saw in Bennett, good hands, good routes. I have a feeling he may become Bulgers favorite "go-to" guy. Leonard is certainly a back that doesn't try to avoid a hit, is he? Tough guy.

As mentioned earlier, Bartell had better get it together in the next three weeks, he looked bad. Hill looked good though, showing his speed and looking much more comfortable out there. I did think the D line looked much improved against the run, especially the first team. Also mentioned earlier, they didn't put much pressure on the QB, but I suspect that was a result of the type of QB they have (scrambler) and Haslett elected to "stay at home" a little more than normal. Plus, it's pre-season. No reason to show too much on D either.

I know "money" is our guy, but that scrawny kicker we used tonight has a very strong leg. Impressive. Oh, and special teams looks much more disiplined in their coverage. I saw something tonight that I rarely saw last year. The oppositions punt return man surrounded by 4 or 5 Rams!! They were down there fast and coverage was great.
    Carriker is going to be a keeper. That guy is strong. As the season moves on, and he sees more and more veteran moves from the guys across the line, he'll be the guy we all hoped he would be. Wroten had a good night as well. All in all, a decent effort for the first practice game of the year.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

blood85 is offline Registered User

That one catch by the Rams Receiver, should have been a TD, nice game for the Rams overall.

Keenum is offline Registered User

My thoughts from another thread:
    "
    Well, that was fun. I was VERY pleased with our run D (only 87 yards given up!) and our pass D started off shakey, due to poor tackeling by Bartel and Brown, still we only gave up about 140 yards passing.
    I'd say it's official, Berlin vs Fitzpatrick for the #3 QB spot now.
    Carriker looked GOOD. He could not be stopped at times, and the Vikes learned to put more men on him.
    Leonard showed he can do it all. Good burst for the 10 yard TD, and some nice catches.
    #3 RB spot is up for grabs. Looks like Minor, Alexis, Harris, and Washington will all fight for it.
    If Wilkins ever goes down, Lovell may be OK. 40 yard game winning FG with 2 seconds left.
    Drew Stronjny had a rough night. Only real problem I saw with O-line.
    Overall, I am pleased with what I saw."

suhpr3me is offline Registered User

I went to the movies so i missed the game, did anything spectacular plays happen?

We had one guy (I think it was either Hagans or Stanley) made a GREAT catch. You'd have to see it.
    The ball was well underthrown, but still the defender lunged at it. The ball bounced off the DBs bicep, off his facemask, and the WR scooped it up for what should have been a TD. They ruled it incomplete, we challenged, and won. However, since the stupid refs blew the whistle too early, we only got the ball where he caught it, a 19 yard gain.
    If he had of scored off that, it would be all over TV.

How many false starts did we have tonight?

lol. The good news is Barron didn't have any!
    Drew Stronjny (backup left tackle) had a rough night. I know he had one false start, I think two holding penalties, one sack he just got flat out beat one, and his guy rushed our QB a few times. Jeremy Parquet also had a false start.
    I think we had two or three. Eh, not too bad for a preseason game. lol.

last question for the night i promise

was Bartell sharpp?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Keenum View Post
    lol. The good news is Barron didn't have any!
    Cool must have laid off the weed!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Quote Originally Posted by suhpr3me View Post
    last question for the night i promise

was Bartell sharpp?
    Sorry it took me a while to get to this one.
    Actually, Bartell was NOT that sharp. He completely miffed one tackle that resulted in a big gain, and had almost the same thing happen to him again. Both he and Fakir Brown had a tackle or two they HAVE to make.
    I'm hoping it was just some rust. Other than those few missed tackles, we looked all right in the secondary.

81~BIG-GAME is offline Registered User

I didn't see the game last night, been reading the recaps on the net and looked at the stats for the game. Plenty of people seem to be impressed with Carriker and Leonard which is encouraging even if only a Pre-season game. I was interested to see how the new punter Donnie Jones got on particulary because it was an indoor game and was pleased to see he averaged 50.5 yds on 2 punts which is a good start to build on for him. I was also nervously checking this morning for any injury reports and again was pleased to see nothing serious only a bit of a bang in the sternum for Fitz. About Fitz, boy he must really hate that metrodome, he had a disaster their 2 years ago and by all accounts didn't exactly cover himself in glory last night. Could be interesting to see how the 3rd QB race pans out although IMO it would be a surprise if Brock unseasted Fitz..