Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: This game was won in April

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

This game was won in April

Days like today really reinforce my interest in the draft.

Today, we saw one rookie, Janoris Jenkins, with two pick-6s, and another, Chris Givens, with 100+ yards receiving and a TD.

And that's not all...

Michael Brockers had 3 tackles and anchored a DL that allowed only 60 yards on 21 RB carries.

Trumaine Johnson is moving up the chart and contributing.

Our rookie kickers (despite a miss by GZ today) have been doing a good job all year.

Daryl Richardson continues to provide a change-of-pace for Steven Jackson.

Hopefully, next November, we'll be talking about a new crop of rookies contributing to wins.
    laram0, Aussie Dave and ZiaRam like this.

Alpha_Male is offline Registered User

Re: This game was won in April

Chris Givens is the best thing to happen to Bradford in his career. Him and Almendola will be a solid core to work with for a long time to come. If the offensive line can become consistent in it's blocking, Bradford will become more consistent in his play, as I think he has the weapons he needs on the outside.Where do the Rams need to look in this April's draft? OL? safety? The holes on this team are suddenly shrinking.
    sosa39rams likes this.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Today, we saw one rookie, Janoris Jenkins, with two pick-6s, and another, Chris Givens, with 100+ yards receiving and a TD.

And that's not all...

Michael Brockers had 3 tackles and anchored a DL that allowed only 60 yards on 21 RB carries.

Our rookie kickers (despite a miss by GZ today) have been doing a good job all year.

Hopefully, next November, we'll be talking about a new crop of rookies contributing to wins.
    This is why you take the most talented players in the draft. As long as there's nothing that's going to keep them from being on the field, ready to play every week, in their past.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

And that's not all...

This is why trading back in the draft is a very good play even next year. We need playmakers on both sides of the ball and you don't have to be a top 5 pick in the draft to have a huge impact. Great game today by the second rounder Jenkins!

Jenkins second Rd two TDs
    Kindricks second Rd TD
    Givens 4th round TD

Keep adding playmakers!
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-26-2012 at 01:50 AM.
    RAMFANRAIDERHATER and ZiaRam like this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Good to see a draft class finally paying dividends. When was the last time the Rams had a top notch draft class? Our previous drafts had some contributors but everyone else usually flopped and going back to the Georgia days, we couldn't draft if our lives depended on it. Glad to finally have an FO that can find good and contributing players from the first to seventh.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

The enthusiasm over Jenkins and Givens will always be countered by cautious optimism that they will behave themselves and take care of business. Talent is a non-issue- we know they have ability, but trust must be earned over time. The conversation can very easily change from one of praise to one of disgust that one or both of them have let the team down due to some infraction.

Brockers looks to be a solid player, and obviously the kicking game is very good. Richardson has provided a nice change-up the Steven Jackson. I am not at all sold on Trumaine Johnson.

It certainly appears we've done a good job overall targeting talent. Now we have to do it consistently and hit on the extra draft picks the next couple of years to build something truly special.
    ZiaRam likes this.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

If we can just get some contributions from pead and quick then wow. Quick was on many running plays in which he helped immensely. Quick is so big and powerful the sky is the limit .

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quick and Pead will be grouped together by many given their lack of production this year, but I think they are very different stories.

WRs, more often than not, take 2-3 years to hit their stride. In Quick's case, I think many (myself included) overestimated the likelihood that a WR from a second-tier college program could come in right away and make an impact (particularly on a team without an estabished No.1 WR). I won't be surprised if he becomes a significant contributer in the next couple of years.

RBs, on the other hand, often come in right away and contribute. Pead's failure to do so is surprising, as is his dropping below a Round 7 RB on the depth chart. While I have not given up on him, I'm not making any predictions.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Hindsight is 20/20 but osemele or lavonte David or Zach brown sounds better than Pead. Again, what could of been ...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    The enthusiasm over Jenkins and Givens will always be countered by cautious optimism that they will behave themselves and take care of business. Talent is a non-issue- we know they have ability, but trust must be earned over time. The conversation can very easily change from one of praise to one of disgust that one or both of them have let the team down due to some infraction.

Brockers looks to be a solid player, and obviously the kicking game is very good. Richardson has provided a nice change-up the Steven Jackson. I am not at all sold on Trumaine Johnson.

It certainly appears we've done a good job overall targeting talent. Now we have to do it consistently and hit on the extra draft picks the next couple of years to build something truly special.
    With Jenkins I agree, I will be worried once he is a big time corner in the NFL. How will he act once he has the leverage. But before he gets there he will have too make a lot plays like he did yesterday so we are getting a return on the investment short term. Long term I'm not so sure.

Givens I had no idea how good he was or can be. He is taking the top off the defenses. He is taking screens for big YAC, He is making the tough catches, he maybe our number one next year. They say from year one to year two is a big jump. Givens may be a real good receiver.

Quick is far from a bad pick. Next year will be a better year to see just what he is IMO.
    Pead is a victim of circumstances if you ask me. He fell behind as he had to finish school. Until I see him get a real chance at RB, it's hard for me to call him a bust. Next year if SJ moves on and he still can't get playing time, I will more then willing to say we missed. I read the one thing Pead needed to do when he was drafted was get stronger, lets see what he does next year.

So far so good with this group but three years from now we will really know.

I do agree this FO has to repeat this draft two more years in a row if we are going to do something special with the RG3 trade.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-26-2012 at 12:01 PM.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

^ good call on Pead falling behind because he had to complete the year. That sets a lot of players back and it's something a lot of people are overlooking.

With Richardson success it's just hard for him to get on the field. Let's all hope that Pead's lack of playing time is a reflection of how good Richardson is rather than how much Pead has struggled.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Some claim Fisher did a better job of coaching in this game.

Well maybe....but

Janoris Jenkins is the reason we won.

Credit Fisher for drafting him but credit Jenkins for what he did on the field.

This kid is a playmaker. His football instincts go beyond coaching. Jenkins is the type of playmaker the Rams have sorely lacked for years.

Both pick six's are a credit to his instincts. The first is an absolute beauty. He reads Lindley all the way, breaks off his man and jumps the underneath route for the pick. IMO you just don't teach that.

video>>>> http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...nkins-pick-six

The second is also a tribute to his instincts and an equal thing of beauty. Fitz seemingly has Jenkins beat on the route yet as Jenkins is closing down Fitz digs and turns to look for the ball. This time Jenkins is keying on Fitz and as Fitz digs and turns Jenkins mirrors him and comes away with the pick. This kid is good, really good and he will only get better.

video>>>> http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...econd-pick-six

J-RodRamFan likes this.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I was glad to finally see a TO on D. To see two pick sixes, even better.

I see real talent in this kid Jenkins, but I'm still not as smitten as some of you. Yet.

He gambles too much, and focuses on the QB WAY too much. Sure, it can produce a pick like the first one where he cut the route and took it to the house. Great move on his part. The second pick was being in the right place at the right time. It wasn't a great defensive play on his part at all, more like a horribly throw ball on the QB's part. Truth be told. I want to see a little more consistancy in his play, and if he keeps his nose clean and stays on the field, I think we will. But for every pick he has, he's had equally bad play in the past games. He's been destroyed a couple of times because of his gambling play and watching the backfield instead of his cover. He has to realize this isn't college. ALL of these recievers will blow by him if he lets them get a step on him. He's done it more than once and paid the price. He spends a lot of time chasing. Not good. But he's a rookie and hopefully he'll get the coaching and fix that.

I'm not trying to spoil the party, but let's get some better, more consistent play from the kid before we crown him the next great shutdown corner. He also really, really needs to work on his tackling skills because they are horrible. Someone needs to tell him to wrap up and forget the shoulder block as his primary tackling move. Again, that's not going to get it in the NFL. It will also eventually get him hurt.

But this draft class has been a real eye opener as to how bad the past drafts have been. Imagine how good this team would be now if the Rams had hit it as well in the past 5-6 drafts, where they had high draft picks?

Imagine how good they'll be in three-four years after the next couple of drafts. I mean, FOUR first round picks in the next two years? Wow.

Scary good I think.
    thoey and Flippin' Ram like this.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Curly Horns is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMFANRAIDERHATER View Post
    I was glad to finally see a TO on D. To see two pick sixes, even better.

I see real talent in this kid Jenkins, but I'm still not as smitten as some of you. Yet.

He gambles too much, and focuses on the QB WAY too much. Sure, it can produce a pick like the first one where he cut the route and took it to the house. Great move on his part. The second pick was being in the right place at the right time. It wasn't a great defensive play on his part at all, more like a horribly throw ball on the QB's part. Truth be told. I want to see a little more consistancy in his play, and if he keeps his nose clean and stays on the field, I think we will. But for every pick he has, he's had equally bad play in the past games. He's been destroyed a couple of times because of his gambling play and watching the backfield instead of his cover. He has to realize this isn't college. ALL of these recievers will blow by him if he lets them get a step on him. He's done it more than once and paid the price. He spends a lot of time chasing. Not good. But he's a rookie and hopefully he'll get the coaching and fix that.

I'm not trying to spoil the party, but let's get some better, more consistent play from the kid before we crown him the next great shutdown corner. He also really, really needs to work on his tackling skills because they are horrible. Someone needs to tell him to wrap up and forget the shoulder block as his primary tackling move. Again, that's not going to get it in the NFL. It will also eventually get him hurt.

But this draft class has been a real eye opener as to how bad the past drafts have been. Imagine how good this team would be now if the Rams had hit it as well in the past 5-6 drafts, where they had high draft picks?

Imagine how good they'll be in three-four years after the next couple of drafts. I mean, FOUR first round picks in the next two years? Wow.

Scary good I think.
    No one is smitten here. We're no different than you. We see talent.

Keep in mind every corner gets beat, especially rookies. Sure he gambles but he is learning while he gambles and at the same time he is making plays.

I disagree on the second pick. It was a great play. One that a lot of corners don't end up making. One thing you overlook is this kid can catch. And he can catch on the run. He had great hands.

If you are not trying to spoil the party....then don't. No one is crowning him anything. We know he is a rookie. We know he is still learning. We know he gambles. But he's a playmaker. No freaking doubt on that. I also disagree about the tackling. He has made some good text book tackles. You seemingly only see the bad or the mistakes. This kid has more upside than any rookie corner we have had in years. Maybe ever.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Some claim Fisher did a better job of coaching in this game.

Well maybe....but

Janoris Jenkins is the reason we won.

Credit Fisher for drafting him but credit Jenkins for what he did on the field.

This kid is a playmaker. His football instincts go beyond coaching. Jenkins is the type of playmaker the Rams have sorely lacked for years.

Both pick six's are a credit to his instincts. The first is an absolute beauty. He reads Lindley all the way, breaks off his man and jumps the underneath route for the pick. IMO you just don't teach that.

video>>>> http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...nkins-pick-six

The second is also a tribute to his instincts and an equal thing of beauty. Fitz seemingly has Jenkins beat on the route yet as Jenkins is closing down Fitz digs and turns to look for the ball. This time Jenkins is keying on Fitz and as Fitz digs and turns Jenkins mirrors him and comes away with the pick. This kid is good, really good and he will only get better.

video>>>> http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-h...econd-pick-six

Man, that first one was a big gamble and I'm glad he took it. He's a risk taker and sometimes it will cost us but in this case he cashed in big.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast