Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Garrett arrives in St. Louis for “second interview” with Rams

By Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Jason Garrett landed in St. Louis early Friday evening with his wife Brill, and told the Post-Dispatch that he was just here for a second interview and that no job had been offered.

Minutes earlier, en route to the airport, Devaney was singing the same tune.

“It’s part of the interview process,” Devaney insisted. “He wanted to look at the facility. We’re not close to moving on Jason Garrett. I’m not even going to say he’s the leading guy.”

Take that for what it’s worth, but Garrett is the only finalist to visit St. Louis. And he did have his wife with him. Devaney also said that he’d already made his recommendation to owner Chip Rosenbloom on who he wanted to hire as the next Rams head coach.

Devaney said he hoped to reach a decision by Monday on the next Rams head coach.

Garrett and Devaney have a lot in common. They’re both from New Jersey. They’re both big Bruce Springsteen fans, and they’re both represented by the same agent _ David Dunn.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Re: Garrett arrives in St. Louis for “second interview” with Rams

Devaney also said that he’d already made his recommendation to owner Chip Rosenbloom on who he wanted to hire as the next Rams head coach.

Devaney said he hoped to reach a decision by Monday on the next Rams head coach.
    Wait a minute!

This does not make sense.

Early on we were told that the decision on the next head coach would be Devaney's.

This states that he has made his recommendation?

Then it states he hopes to reach a decision by monday?

This is not adding up????????

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I don't like the fact that Devaney is somewhat toying with the fans and the media. If you have already made your recommendation, what's with the pointless dribble? Close in on the coach you recommended, otherwise other openings like newly available Kansas City and Tampa Bay could change their minds!

Let's say Frazier is his recommendation, he would definitely be more attracted to a job like Tampa Bay wouldn't he? Add in the fact they employ Cover 2 and he specializes with that scheme (he worked with Dungy), it could cause him to lean more to Tampa if they became interested in him. Enough with the games Devaney, get the man you want!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Early on we were told that the decision on the next head coach would be Devaney's.

This states that he has made his recommendation?
    It was always Chip who would have the final say and decison on who becomes coach. He would just value Devaney's recommendation most because of his football knowledge. Chip sits in on final interviews, so if he seems to like a certain candidate better than the one Devaney recommended, he could disregard him if he wants. Obviously, this is the last thing I and most of you want to happen.
    Last edited by Bald_81; -01-16-2009 at 09:21 PM.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Something smells. Why bring your wife to see the facilities if he is not the chosen one by Shaw, eerr, I mean Devaney?? The Monday thing must be a smoke screen unless they are waiting for Ryan, unless the Ravens win and then it is Garrett??
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

KSDK.com | St. Louis, MO | Video Center

I know that's a video, but it's relevant to the coaching search. It's of Garrett arriving in St. Louis and taking some questions.

RealRam is online now Registered User

SCF, the wifee just wanted to travel along, that's all.

I don't prefer Garrett over Spags, but I would go along with Garrett over Frazier.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Not quite sure I buy into the paranoia, guys. DeVaney will be the guy picking the coach, but that does NOT mean he will do it without performing the common courtesy of informing his boss who he recommends. Chip Rosenbloom is still the owner, and that means he has the right to know which way DeVaney is leaning AND the prerogative of overruling DeVaney if he felt an egregious error has been made.

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    I know that's a video, but it's relevant to the coaching search. It's of Garrett arriving in St. Louis and taking some questions.
    He seems genuine in the interview. Hard to tell if he knows for certain that he will be the guy, but it appears to me that he knows more than he's leading on.

He does not mention that he wanted to see the facility which is what Devaney stated. He had a brother that was with the Rams for two years so I doubt he needs to see the facility.

His wife is there. I think he is the guy and it will be announced tomorrow. I just can not think of another GOOD reason why he is in St. Louis other than they want to make the announcement there to begin the selling process.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Phew!!!! DeVaney already has his guy I'm just hopping it's his own choice and Shaw had absolutely nothing to do with his pick.

blood85 is offline Registered User

This is going from bad, to worst, REALLY FREAKING FAST!! Garrett??????????Please, Rams, tell me, it AIN'T So!!!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Bernie seems to think Garrett is the guy...

I've been wrong on this stuff, and I have also been lied to ... so take it for what it's worth, but Garrett will be the guy unless the owner intervenes. Which he won't. Also, they have to get the contract done.

Again -- take it with a grain of salt. I am no more reliable than anyone else.

-B
    This isn't a shaw deal.

Devaney's boy all the way.

-B
    Adam backtracked a bit, but now says they'll be trying to work out a deal.

And they are.

I see no reason to believe at this point that it'll be someone other than Garrett ... granted, this has been a crazy process, and Devaney has not been straightforward about it... but Devaney really wants this guy and it seems that the owner will go along.

-B
    If this is true, Devaney will have some 'splaining to do...

-B
    I hope he succeeds, I really do.

I wish them all well.

-B

I still don't get why Devaney is so secretive about the whole process. Garrett has not been a finalist in any other teams interviewing process, so there is no scare he may land a job elsewhere. It's as if the whole entire league will be taken back by our choice. If it's Garrett, I am not happy with the choice but I will support him and the future of the Rams.

It was always Chip who would have the final say and decison on who becomes coach. He would just value Devaney's recommendation most because of his football knowledge. Chip sits in on final interviews, so if he seems to like a certain candidate better than the one Devaney recommended, he could disregard him if he wants. Obviously, this is the last thing I and most of you want to happen.
    Then Devaney lied or he was lied to.

St. Louis Rams general manager Billy Devaney has the final say in the search for a new coach. Along the way, he has surrounded himself with big-name advisers to help him make the right choice for a franchise that's a sorry 5-27 the past two years.

Other members of Devaney's inner circle during the search are retired personnel whiz Bobby Beathard and Rams personnel director Lawrence McCutcheon, who'll sit in on initial interviews. Hall of Fame lineman Dan Dierdorf and former star running back Marshall Faulk will serve as advisers.

"I'm not someone that I hope it ever gets to that point where there's such an ego that I can do this thing on my own or I don't need any help," Devaney said Tuesday. "I don't mind reaching out to people that I trust."

John Shaw, who resigned as team president last week as part of the front office overhaul in which Devaney was made GM, will be involved with the final interviews, along with team owners Chip Rosenbloom, Lucia Rodriguez and Stan Kroenke. Shaw and Jay Zygmunt, the former president of football operations who also resigned, have been blamed for the franchise's decline in recent years.

"John wants to sit in on that and ask questions, and I'm sure he'll have an opinion," Devaney said. "And that's fine, I think that's good.

"They told me they'll have an opinion and they want a chance to meet these guys, but when it's over they'll let me make the decision."

link to article posted at the clanram----->Devaney surrounds himself with advisers

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Then Devaney lied or he was lied to.

St. Louis Rams general manager Billy Devaney has the final say in the search for a new coach. Along the way, he has surrounded himself with big-name advisers to help him make the right choice for a franchise that's a sorry 5-27 the past two years.

Other members of Devaney's inner circle during the search are retired personnel whiz Bobby Beathard and Rams personnel director Lawrence McCutcheon, who'll sit in on initial interviews. Hall of Fame lineman Dan Dierdorf and former star running back Marshall Faulk will serve as advisers.

"I'm not someone that I hope it ever gets to that point where there's such an ego that I can do this thing on my own or I don't need any help," Devaney said Tuesday. "I don't mind reaching out to people that I trust."

John Shaw, who resigned as team president last week as part of the front office overhaul in which Devaney was made GM, will be involved with the final interviews, along with team owners Chip Rosenbloom, Lucia Rodriguez and Stan Kroenke. Shaw and Jay Zygmunt, the former president of football operations who also resigned, have been blamed for the franchise's decline in recent years.

"John wants to sit in on that and ask questions, and I'm sure he'll have an opinion," Devaney said. "And that's fine, I think that's good.

"They told me they'll have an opinion and they want a chance to meet these guys, but when it's over they'll let me make the decision."
    If you read Nick's post, you'd see this:

I've been wrong on this stuff, and I have also been lied to ... so take it for what it's worth, but Garrett will be the guy unless the owner intervenes. Which he won't. Also, they have to get the contract done.

Again -- take it with a grain of salt. I am no more reliable than anyone else.

-B
    That is basically what I said. If Chip wants to disregard Billy's recommendation and go with another candidate, he can. He is the only one who has the authority to overturn Billy. But it is looking like he will trust whomever Billy chooses and right now it's looking like Garrett.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

I still don't get why Devaney is so secretive about the whole process. Garrett has not been a finalist in any other teams interviewing process, so there is no scare he may land a job elsewhere. It's as if the whole entire league will be taken back by our choice. If it's Garrett, I am not happy with the choice but I will support him and the future of the Rams.
    I completely agree Bald_81. I'll add something else as well. I believe Devaney is just being secretive, just like every other GM in the NFL looking for their next head coach. I'm sure Devaney doesn't want to give a lead on who's his leading candidate. I won't be satisfied with the choice if it's Garrett over Frazier/ Spagnoulo, especially if we had a good chance at landing these two candidates. However, no matter what I'm always going to support my Rams and hope it pans out.
    If this is true, Devaney will have some 'splaining to do...
    -B
    That he will.
    Last edited by eric2810; -01-16-2009 at 10:30 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast