Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: General Manager search..

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Re: General Manager search..

A bunch of GM search updates from Jim Thomas:

Rams interviewing Arizona director of player personnel Steve Keim and MIami director of player personnel Brian Gaine today for GM job,
    Both Keim and Gaine were on the Rams' original list of 9 general manager candidates that they had received permission to interview.
    Joey Clinkscales (NY Jets) and George Paton (Minnesota) were interviewed for Rams GM job on Monday.
    Update from Jason La Canfora:

Arizonas Steve Keim interviewed for Rams GM job today. Hearing it went very well. Rams expected to make decision this week #insideslant
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -01-31-2012 at 09:55 PM.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

George Patton is interviewing for the GM job? I could see him as a head coach, but a GM? Not at all! He ran out of fuel because he advanced too fast into Germany, he'd be horrible with team logistics!

Wait... his name is Paton?

Who the hell is that? I mean, I did think someone who died in 1945 was a bit old to be interviewing for a job, but in this economy...
    I believe!

mh-i is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    How is that clear? All I've heard or read is that Fisher wanted a situation where a 3rd party (ie. Uncle Stan) would be able to arbitrate any personnel disagreements with a GM.
    You can read whatever you want into that. I read it as that Fisher didn't want Vince Young and he wants to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen again. To me that means he wants final say. I think the reason he's a Ram is because that's what he got. I think that's a GREAT thing and exactly what the Rams need right now.

Without a GM Fisher has filled out almost his entire coaching staff. Once the Super Bowl is over the Fisher will get together with his coaches and start talking players. I'm pretty sure Fisher will have final say in everthing including draft picks. In fact I have no doubt about it.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    You can read whatever you want into that. I read it as that Fisher didn't want Vince Young and he wants to make sure that kind of thing doesn't happen again. To me that means he wants final say. I think the reason he's a Ram is because that's what he got. I think that's a GREAT thing and exactly what the Rams need right now.
    Or more like he wants to make sure he doesnt have another boss that doesnt leave his employees to make the decisions he hired them to do(Adams making the Titans take Vince Young when Fisher obviously objected).

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Without a GM Fisher has filled out almost his entire coaching staff. Once the Super Bowl is over the Fisher will get together with his coaches and start talking players. I'm pretty sure Fisher will have final say in everthing including draft picks. In fact I have no doubt about it.
    Hmm; well, okay then, I guess you and I will have to disagree. You go ahead and read into it; I'll just read it.

And it was the owner, not the GM, that forced Vince Young on him.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Let's pause and think about the significance of that statement. And to help in our pondering of that statement, let me make this addition.......Jay Zygmunt.
    Clearly, there is a difference between an executive who thinks he's a scout, and a scout who is elevated to an executive level.

Quote Originally Posted by FestusRam View Post
    Or more like he wants to make sure he doesnt have another boss that doesnt leave his employees to make the decisions he hired them to do(Adams making the Titans take Vince Young when Fisher obviously objected).
    Could not wanting to be over ruled by the OWNER be seen as a request for total control?

Hmm; well, okay then, I guess you and I will have to disagree. You go ahead and read into it; I'll just read it.

And it was the owner, not the GM, that forced Vince Young on him.
    Where did I say the GM wanted Young? I didn't.

Like I said, it's a good thing right now for the Rams to have one guy calling the shots. I'm sure Fisher will talk to his coaches and the GM, whoever that turns out to be, about player decisions but in the end he'll have final say. No way he puts himself in a situation where he has to take on a player he doesn't want again. How do you avoid that happening? Total Control. Pretty simple.

Could not wanting to be over ruled by the OWNER be seen as a request for total control?
    I've got news for you.

Every HC and GM in the NFL would frown upon being overruled by their team's owner on personnel decisions but, regardless of their contracts, that is ALWAYS a possibility.

So, to answer your question, the fact that Jeff Fisher may have expressed a desire NOT to have an owner like Bud Adams does not mean he demanded total control.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I've got news for you.

Every HC and GM in the NFL would frown upon being overruled by their team's owner on personnel decisions but, regardless of their contracts, that is ALWAYS a possibility.

So, to answer your question, the fact that Jeff Fisher may have expressed a desire NOT to have an owner like Bud Adams does not mean he demanded total control.
    Depends on the owner you work for. I would assume any coach or GM that worked for Al Davis knew going in that they wouldn't have much say in what was going on. Similar situation in Dallas. I don't know what Fisher negociated but it wouldn't surprise me if he has final say concerning football decisions, coaches, players, etc... I'd be shocked if that wasn't the case.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Clearly, there is a difference between an executive who thinks he's a scout, and a scout who is elevated to an executive level.
    Exactly! How awesome it is that these Rams are (or at the very least, appear to be) prioritizing their GM search with words like "Scout". That simple concept has been missing for years, scratch that, decades!

This team's "GM" was once upon a time, Jay Zygmunt.......the antithesis of a NFL "Executive Level Scout".

Just this simple notion that the Rams are trying to find an "Executive Level Scout" to serve as GM is like the clouds parting, IMO.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by mhi
    Where did I say the GM wanted Young? I didn't.
    My point, of course, being that there's no such thing as total control for a coach. The owner will do what the owner wants to do.

All reports have laid out the difference between Miami and St. Louis as the Dolphins refused to put the HC on level footing with the GM on personnel matters; the Rams (Kroenke) were willing to give equal footing. I've yet to see a report that describes Fisher's role as total control or final say.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

My point, of course, being that there's no such thing as total control for a coach. The owner will do what the owner wants to do.

All reports have laid out the difference between Miami and St. Louis as the Dolphins refused to put the HC on level footing with the GM on personnel matters; the Rams (Kroenke) were willing to give equal footing. I've yet to see a report that describes Fisher's role as total control or final say.
    OK. What Rams coach signing has our current GM had a say in? Zero since there isn't a GM yet. Suffice to say that whoever the GM turns out to be that the HC and all the assistants won't be "his" guys. Am I wrong? This is Fisher's show and there's nothing wrong with that.

OK. What Rams coach signing has our current GM had a say in? Zero since there isn't a GM yet. Suffice to say that whoever the GM turns out to be that the HC and all the assistants won't be "his" guys. Am I wrong? This is Fisher's show and there's nothing wrong with that.
    All true. But franchise seniority will mean nothing when it comes to authoritative voice.

If seniority was the standard, Todd Hewitt would have been Team President.

I don't understand the point of this argument. Is there a concern that the only way to get a good GM is to offer "full control." I don't buy that.

In my book, a good candidate is a guy who does not worry about who has the "final say." A confident person will presume that, regardless of the size of his vote, he will be able to persuade the room to trust his judgment. In other words, if you command respect, you need not demand respect.
    THOLTFAN81 and ZiaRam like this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast