throwback week

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: General Manager search..

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: General Manager search..

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I don't understand the point of this argument. Is there a concern that the only way to get a good GM is to offer "full control." I don't buy that.
    That's not my point but I can't speak for anyone else. All I'm sayin, in my opinion, is when is come to personnel decisions, whether it concerns players or coaches, Fisher has the final say. That would be similar to the set-up Bill Parcells has had in a few of his head coaching jobs.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    That's not my point but I can't speak for anyone else. All I'm sayin, in my opinion, is when is come to personnel decisions, whether it concerns players or coaches, Fisher has the final say. That would be similar to the set-up Bill Parcells has had in a few of his head coaching jobs.
    To that point, I'd simply say... you don't know that. You have concluded that based upon some random comments (some of which may have never actually been uttered by Jeff Fisher).

My impression is that personnel decisions will be made by a committee. While consensus is not always possible, it is the goal. Where there is a need for someone to have the "final say," certainly Jeff Fisher would be the logical one to make the call (unless its purely a money issue, in which case he might not). But, from all indications, the intent is to have decisions made by a team, not an individual.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Some more GM updates from Mr Jim Thomas:

Rams coach Jeff Fisher met Wednesday with Atlanta director of player personnel Les Snead about Rams general manager job.
    Snead had interviewed previously with Rams exec Kevin Demoff about GM job prior to Fisher's hiring.
    Snead is the fifth general manager candidate to be interviewed by FIsher and the Rams this week.

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Maybe Kevin gave Les the thumbs up and Fisher is going to see if he fits into his 'plan'

Hoping Lake still has a shot.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

I cant wait till we find someone so we can wrap this up... good thing is we have no competetion which is why it is probably taking a bit longer than normal..

Couple more GM nuggets from Jim Thomas:

Add another to the list: Rams interview NFL exec and longtime scout and player personne exec Ron Hill for their general manager position.
    Tom Telesco no longer a Rams general manager candidate. He opts to stay with Indianapolis as Colts director of player personnel.
    Meanwhile, league sources say Lake Dawson continues to be Rams GM candidate despite his recent promotion in Tennessee.

fearsome foursome is online now Registered User

It is interesting that the Rams have not settled on a GM by the Superbowl. I wonder if they might be waiting for someone else to become available?

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    It is interesting that the Rams have not settled on a GM by the Superbowl. I wonder if they might be waiting for someone else to become available?
    The Rams don't have a traditional GM/Head Coach situation. Fisher is both when it comesto coach and player decisions. Given that there's no rush to hire anybody.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

The Rams don't have a traditional GM/Head Coach situation. Fisher is both when it comesto coach and player decisions. Given that there's no rush to hire anybody.
    Again, mh-i, my friend, you keep saying this, but I've read nothing that shows Fisher is the end-all, be-all when it comes to personnel decisions.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Again, mh-i, my friend, you keep saying this, but I've read nothing that shows Fisher is the end-all, be-all when it comes to personnel decisions.
    At this point who else would be in the loop? We've now signed a player without a GM. It's simple logic isn't it? Fisher wouldn't be the first HC ever hired that called all the shots. I'd bet money that's ultimately what swayed him to sign with the Rams. He got personnel control plus a promise from Froenke that he would stay out of the way. If it would have been any other way a GM would have been hired first or within a few days of Fisher. And again I will repeat that I believe that's the best set-up for the Rams at this point in time. One guy with big time experiance and vision to lead the franchise out of the darkness and into the light, to steal a quote from one of the local radio guys here in LA.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i
    At this point who else would be in the loop?
    But we're not talking about "at this point", we're talking about the structure of a franchise for the next 5, 10, 50 years.
    We've now signed a player without a GM.
    Surely we don't need a GM to sign one camp body?
    He got personnel control plus a promise from Froenke that he would stay out of the way.
    And that would be counter to every report on the issue so far. The reporting so far is that Kroenke agreed to be a 3rd party arbiter, when Fisher and the GM were at a stalemate on a personnel issue. If Fisher had total control, why would he ask for Kroenke to be a 3rd parter arbiter?
    If it would have been any other way a GM would have been hired first or within a few days of Fisher.
    Or rather, Fisher was a hot commodity and Kroenke had to move fast. He could not wait to go through the GM process first. And if the Rams had not yet found the GM they wanted, they would not be in a hurry.
    And again I will repeat that I believe that's the best set-up for the Rams at this point in time.
    Just as the owner/GM combo is a bad idea, so is the HC/GM combo. It simply stretches a man too thin to be effective. And I'm glad the Rams don't have that have that setup.

In the end, maybe you're right. I'm certainly not saying your theory is impossible; it's just that I have yet to see any evidence that it is the Rams structure.
    Last edited by HUbison; -02-06-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Per Jim Thomas

***** director of player personnel Tom Gamble interviews for Rams GM job Tuesday; Minnesota's George Paton got second GM interview Monday.
    Per rotoworld

The Rams have given Vikings player personnel director George Paton a second interview for their GM vacancy.

Paton must have caught Jeff Fisher's eye during the first round of interviews, because Fisher is leading the GM search. According to the St. Paul Pioneer Press, Paton's second interview could take place "as early as today." Paton has been with the Vikings since 2007. He previously worked for the Dolphins.
    Last edited by THOLTFAN81; -02-07-2012 at 02:19 AM.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

The Rams don't have a traditional GM/Head Coach situation. Fisher is both when it comes to coach and player decisions. Given that there's no rush to hire anybody.
    You could be right but I would think this means the opposite.

If Fisher truly is the Ultimate power in making all decisions... why would it take this long to higher a patsy for a figure head position.

The fact they are taking a long time and interviewing several people lends me to believe the GM is going to be pretty instrumental in the decision making process.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    George Patton is interviewing for the GM job? I could see him as a head coach, but a GM? Not at all! He ran out of fuel because he advanced too fast into Germany, he'd be horrible with team logistics!

Wait... his name is Paton?

Who the hell is that? I mean, I did think someone who died in 1945 was a bit old to be interviewing for a job, but in this economy...
    Wouldn't mind George Patton, our players would be tough as nails under him, and to add that with Fisher as our HC.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I don't believe Fisher is looking for a yes guy, more that he is looking for a guy with views and philosophies similar to his own, and someone who he can work with without too much confrontation. Not someone who will back down when Fisher says no, but someone who won't be stubborn when he does say no.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast