Thread: George Selvie

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

George Selvie

Found this interesting, as it reinforced my feelings about this pick and how pleased I am with the current reports on his progress and performance.

George Selvie is This Years 7th Round Sleeper
    By Shane Smith
    Aug 112010

Every season a few late round picks finds a way to separate themselves from practice squad obscurity to major contributor for their respective franchises. We have seen role players and even a few superstars come into their own rather quickly after being selected in the last couple of rounds ala Marquis Colston and Tom Brady. This season I believe I have found a player out of the Big East who will make an immediate impact on his team after being selected in the 7th round. That player was a draft choice of the St Louis Rams and his name is George Selvie.
    Selvie played for the South Florida Bulls and was a force to be reckoned with in his entire collegiate career. For as long as I can remember watching Selvie go up against the UCONN Huskies it always seemed like he was a man among boys. Up until last season the USF defense was anchored by Selvie until Jason Paul-Pierre fully developed. Teams would create offensive stratigies and blocking schemes that were aimed toward keeping Selvie the 7th round pick at bay rather than Paul-Pierre the 1st round pick. Both players have incredible size, talent, and heads for the game, but it was Paul-Pierre who was given a better chance to excel when teams spent most of their energy protecting themselves from Selvie.
    When you first look at Selvie it is easy to see how and why he is an NFL player. The fact that he slipped all the way to round 7 is kind of shocking to anyone who has followed the Big East for the past couple of years. Selvie hits hard, makes good reads, and is quick for a man his size. He is not only impressing coaches for being a competitor out of round 7 who could make the team, but hes making a statement that he should be out on the field for the first snap in week 1. Of all the teams in the NFL the Rams are probably the one that is most filled with roster spots that could be seized by a young guy whose busting his butt. Selvie has had several highlight reel plays since entering camp and would have had two sacks in practice the other day if Quarterbacks weren’t strictly off limits. So heres to you George Selvie, I hope you can end this season with a starting job that will represent the Big East well and more importantly make me look intelligent for predicting a relatively unknown sleeper.

Semper Fi!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: George Selvie

The fact that he slipped all the way to round 7 is kind of shocking to anyone who has followed the Big East for the past couple of years.
    Such an intriguing player. I have to say I'm absorbed by this question myself. And specific to the Rams, Selvie was picked 3rd among their own rookie DEs. I hate to write this because I was also fascinated by Jimmy Kennedy, Adam Carriker and Brian Leonard, but I eagerly await the first season of one George Selvie.
    Teams would create offensive stratigies and blocking schemes that were aimed toward keeping Selvie the 7th round pick at bay rather than Paul-Pierre the 1st round pick.
    The comparison's are bound to happen. Selvie and JPP will probably be linked for some time.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Maybe that's what happens when you have football people making personnel decisions and not bean counters.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I was so happy when we drafted him and for a good reason. I mean if the guy elected to go a few years ago, he probably would have went were JPP went.

Anyway I really do think we got the steal of the draft as well and a real pass rushing gem. He showed a lot in the first game and I'm really excited to see him play.

Plus, everytime I sim my madden season he always gets 10+ sacks .

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Maybe that's what happens when you have football people making personnel decisions and not bean counters.
    Exactly right, tx. Which makes me wonder how did the other 31 teams with football people pass this guy over 6 or 7 times? I just can't help but wonder how this plays out if Selvie and JPP have similiar careers. Comparable paths, but two different ends of the draft spectrum.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

rNemesis is online now Registered User

Yes, I am hoping that he can be a GEM that you talked about, be a 7th round pick, come in and immediately bring pass rush to a team that otherwise needs it straight up. James Hall is a pash rusher, Long is a little bit of both, Little is gone, and Adeyanju is a run stuffer not a pass rusher. So when you look at it we really dont have a pure PASS rush, and more so for quite some time now. And until we get that we will give up plenty points through the air

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

On sports science I saw saw JPP do like 5 backflips in a row.......that counts in a football game right?

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

If you watched the game, or haven't watched it yet (you should), pay attention to Selvie, on one play in particular. And that play is not the sack.

Watch the play when he is lined up at RDE, and runs down the screen pass from the other side of the field.

That was a "wow" moment for me, and I knew then that Selive at least has a chance to be a good player in this league.

BTW, he looks bigger than 252 ....

RebelYell is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    BTW, he looks bigger than 252 ....
    I don't know. Compare him to Jason Taylor who is taller and about the same weight. Selvie isn't a huge guy and I think that was part of the reason he fell down the boards. And then to run so slowly at the combine with that limited size it just killed his draft stock. JMO but I hope Selvie stays at his current size and doesn't try and bulk up to 280. So many guys lose their explosion when they try to get to that prototypical DE weight.

On another note, James Laurinaitis was listed at 244 last year and he looked smaller to me (was attacked last year for writing that opinion). At the scrimmage, he wasn't a really big guy last year but this year he's massive. He's a completely different person physically this year coming into camp.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Leonard Little was about the same size if not smaller when he was drafted as a LB/DE tweener. He proved you don't have to be massive to be a great pass rusher at DE.

It would indeed be great if Selvie turns out to be a 7th round steal.

RebelYell is online now Registered User

When you look back at guys like Kevin Carter and Grant Wistrom, they might have been better if they kept the weight off a little to maintain their speed. Kevin Carter turned into a DT for Pete's sake. At 300+ lbs, it seems excessive for a guy who's job is to get after the QB. Selvie was only a few tackles for a loss from breaking the record in college so it would imply he isn't a push over at run support. I've seen him play twice now. Preseason game and the scrimmage and both times he seemed to excel at just making plays. Let's hope he continues in this pattern.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Just throw Selvie into the fried foods kitchen for a while -- allow him to get to 260-265. Then into the strength department over and over.

He'll be fine. I like Georgie. Perhaps Leonard Little's replacement (in the making).

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I think hes fine at 245. I mean he will probably only be a situational pass rusher this year although I wouldn't mind him out there all game.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Certainly you can't ignore the fact that he lasted until the 7th round. But you have to also consider that this was one of the deepest drafts in recent memory, if not much longer. Perhaps it wasn't that teams didn't think poorly of him, just that there were so many players to choose from this year, and he may have been overlooked to a point.

Regardless, he's wearing the horns now, and it'll be intriguing to say the least, to see how he progresses.