AugustaRamFan Guest

Getting Smoked....or is "Smoker -ed" or

What did he smoke??

What is the deal with Jeff Smoker?

College wannabe phenom to hit the skids to Rams reclamation project....

Does this guy have any talent or ability?

Can he or will he ever contribute?

Is he on the bubble to make the squad as the #3? (Assuming that Martin is the #2)

Is he really the #4 right now (assuming Fitzy is the #3) and getting beat out by a Harvard Grad??

I do not know where to slide on this. The kid maybe has the raw talent and ability to make it. But it seems like he cannot fathom the offense. Martz's brian child is a match for mortal intellects and unless that "play book" knowledge translates into reactions on the field, then the guy is toast.

He may not have the football intellect/instincts to be a success in the Martz system. I would guess that few 2nd year guys do.

Would he be a success as a #2 somewhere else??

Any thoughts on this?

:clanram: Bash Me!!!

Re: Getting Smoked....or is "Smoker -ed" or

yea, pass me one of dem doobies

AugustaRamFan Guest

Maybe Martz was smoking something when he drafted him.

That might explain the Alex Barron draft too (Just kidding) - I do not want a RIOT on my hands.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Its interesting - PFW comments that Smoker is doing well, while USAToday has a supposed quote from Martz saying that he's doing poorly.

Hard to know what to think.

Man, I just canny see through all the smoke LOL

ah well, back to my Irish Steak mmmmmmm

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Looks like Smoker has been hangin with Ricky.

I guess he has failed to pick up the offence.
    Fitspatrick played with the 2nd team on Sat.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I have been wondering what to believe about the seemingly conflicting reports as to Smoker's progress and or lack of it. Martz is renowned for riding his protege backups, exerting as much pressure as possible to see if he can get them to crack. Is he really that hyped up on Fitz, or is he just screwing it up another notch? From what I have been reading Fitz has been picked off regularly yet Martz is praising him because he remembers the plays even if he is not all that great at executing them. At this point I have no clue as to where our enigmatic coach's preferences lie regarding our backup QBs...

Hopefully Friday night will bring some answers. Smoker had a knack for playing well under pressure during his collegiate career, but this is the NFL. Will that knack make the transition with him? Fitzpatrick displayed similar characteristics during his stint at Harvard which is probably why the Rams drafted him. I would imagine that all three backups will get their shots come Friday; what will be interesting is watching who Martz leaves in to block for them...
    :clanram:

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont believe any of the public comments. they are just as likely to be pure motivational on martz' part. He loved germaine and he was waived after one lousy game. I believe martz is making a point with smoker. lets see how he does in preseason. I dont believe martz is going to quit on smoker in year 2.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AugustaRamFan Guest

I am not sure where the #2 QB fits in the needs heirarchy for the team. IMO we need a solid # 2. A #2 that can keep the ship from tipping over and keep it going straight ahead (albeit slowly).

But until the O-line pulls together and gets some cohesion, I think having a #2 that can step in and help the team is a real necessity.

Sorry, I am just not all that comfortable with Matin, I get that Chris Chandelier feeling... (Burrrrrpppp!!)

So the # 2 is a key imho. Fitzy or Smokey Bear!!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AugustaRamFan
    Maybe Martz was smoking something when he drafted him.
    If he was it has to have been laced with some noxious defoliant. If MM knows QBs, he hasn't shown the ability to draft one yet worth a signing bonus. This could be the 3rd year in a row with "controversy" at the 2 spot.

Tony Soprano Guest

I think Martz is enamored with the young Lad from Harvard.

He always like to have a young prospect at QB.. and I think they drafted him this year.

When Martz gets tired of your act, he gets really tired.... Just ask Chris Chandler.

Either Martz is trying to motivate Smoker as a last gasp attempt or Smoker will be used as an arm in camp - for the receiver's benefit.

thoey is offline Registered User

I think Augusta was leaning towards it when he mentioned the OLine. If Bulgar goes down it will be because of them (or some freak accident) and I don't think it matters who #2 is at that point. If that happens, there is no miracle story like KW in the wings.
    This space for rent...

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    If he was it has to have been laced with some noxious defoliant. If MM knows QBs, he hasn't shown the ability to draft one yet worth a signing bonus. This could be the 3rd year in a row with "controversy" at the 2 spot.
    Smoker was the first QB ever drafted by Martz (not including Eric Crouch and Steve Bellisari, who were drafted to play other positions), and he was taken in the 6th Round. Hardly a sure thing, and hardly a basis to criticize Martz if he does not work out.

As for the comment about controversy at the #2 spot, you're painting with a pretty broad brush, aren't you?

In 2003, the backup QB was Kurt Warner. Controversy? Yes. But, I think most would agree that Warner was, at a minimum, a capable backup.

In 2004, the backup was Chris Chandler. While he proved to be completely inadequate, his history would would have suggested that he should have been able to handle the number 2 job.

So, where's this pattern of controversy coming from?

Quote Originally Posted by thoey
    If that happens, there is no miracle story like KW in the wings.
    Well, that's the thing about "miracle stories"... you don't see them coming.