throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AugustaRamFan Guest

That Giant Sucking Sound you just heard..

....was the air coming out of the St. Louis Rams - Ballon.

In the front office, people are reacting to the vacuum left by Martz' absence. Some will seek his power, some will seek to surplant him as head coach, some will still seek to undermine him and ascend to a higher level in the pecking order. Again, I loved Martz as an OC and have liked him less as the HC. I like him as a person and wish him a safe and speady recovery. Will he or will he not comeback (this year) or make a comeback (next year)? Only time will tell. But - what will happen to the Team in the interim??

I suppose all organiozations are like this to some exent, but the bottom line is that I would bet the whole organization is reelling.

On the field, I am sure that there are two or maybe three factions. The players that "Loved" Martz, the players that did not appreciate his style or management skills and those that are apathetic. I hope the latter group is fairly small (I am not sure I want a player like that around... e.g. one that does not care). As for the other groups, those that loved Martz will give all they have to his memory and press on to make the club a winner. Those that did not like Martz, may start to perform for a new regime (Vitt&Co.) - I hope.

Also on the field, the vacuum of leadership is adding to the sucking sound.

On the O...

Bulger ... to quiet and inconsistent
    Faulk... no Playing Time... he needs to become the on the field leader and coach for the O imho. Something that has been lacking this season so far.
    Jackson... talented but too young...needs to establish a pro-work ethic
    Holt... could be... but I wonder if he is respected by other players besides the receoving corp.
    Bruce.... injured...
    Pace...a big maybe...
    All others...I am not sure I see the desire! Any thoughts on this??

On the D......gulp...

No Aeneas.... a big big big loss... (I still hear that air rushing away...)
    Claiborn or Coakley...(have not stepped up to the challenge - maybe that is why we got them cheap??)
    Arch....not ready... too self centered as a player imho
    Other DBs... I do not think so..
    T. Jackon.... MAYBE he is our best hope...but he does not start.
    Other DLmen... too young and lack the leadership skills.
    Maybe Pisa can step up???

So, lack of leadership in the FO and lack of leadership on the field. I have a bad feeling about all of this and the Rams play a "real" team on Monday night. I wish I had better thoughts about all this, but I do not. The glass that was once half-full is now less than half full - indeed.

I have never seen myself as a "sky is falling" type of person, I do "worst case" things and then decide on how they could get better, and I think that is what I am doing now.

Does anyone else fell the breeze??
    Last edited by AugustaRamFan; -10-13-2005 at 09:18 AM.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: That Giant Sucking Sound you just heard..

I think it is a bit early to be hitting the big red panic button. We had one bad game out of 5 games. Only one that was embarrassing. You only need to change a few things to turn losses into wins.

Hopefully we have enough depth to cover the injuries....same as any other season.

Other people will step up in the coaching staff and other players will respond to the changing needs.

It's going to be ok. We are not going to win every game and we are not going to lose every game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Bulger...too quiet and inconsistent? He's not inconsistent, he may start a little slow sometimes but inconsistent isn't one of his problems.

The quietness is one I have a tough time with. Was Joe Montana a rah rah guy? How about Roger Staubach? You don't have to always be Brett Farve-esque to show leadership.

theodus69 Guest

People tend to think a loudmouth cheerleader is also the leader of the team.Not always true. But I have never seen Bulger try to fire up anybody. That does tend to bother me! Even greg brady gets in his players grills!:tongue:

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Leaders don't have to be raw-raw guys who run along the sidelines and slap hands with people. I'm sure we have a lot of leaders on this team, but they probably just don't show it in completely obvious ways for everyone to see.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AugustaRamFan Guest

Whoa... nelly... NO PANIC Button yet, yet that is!

My points are that:

1) there is a lot of turmoil and transition on the Team. By the 6th week, the Team should not be going through some of the issues that it is faced with today. A lot of it will be in the FO where the blood letting may be just beginning. (Not that I would mind if Mammie was asked to step down). These things impact a Team (FULL VACUUM) Add in the personnel issues on the Def, TE and at WR (Bruce and Holt injured)... yikes...

2) Leadership for the O. Bulger may just be the guy, but he throws interceptions into coverages that hard to believe. He is a talent, but it is no coincidence that the team is always playing from behind. Do you think he has the ability to lead the Team? Really Lead like a Montana or a Favre? (PARTIAL VACUUM)

3) Leadership for the D. FULL VACUUM - I have nothing to add or detract.
    Last edited by AugustaRamFan; -10-13-2005 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AugustaRamFan
    Do you think he has the ability to lead the Team? Really Lead like a Montana or a Favre? (PARTIAL VACUUM)
    The number of come from behind victories he's helped contribute to would seem to suggest he can, in my opinion.

Plus while Marshall Faulk and Tyoka Jackson aren't starters, that doesn't mean they aren't on the sidelines like everyone else.

AugustaRamFan Guest

Although not the issue of the thread...

I like Bulger (again...not Bulger bashing). Montana was clearly a "clutch" player and the ****** new he would make the big play at the right time. Staubach was a Naval Academy Grad...he had the intangibles as well. Both of these guys were mentally tough.

Leaders, lead when the pressure is on....Bulger has not developed to that point yet. Maybe he will, but I am not ready to list him in the same sentence as Montana, Staubach or even Favre for field generalship quite yet.:clanram:

I agree he's not at that level, but that doesn't mean he's not a leader at all, IMO.

Hearing Claiborne speak on Total Access during the offseason makes me think he has some leadership qualities as well, but I couldn't say whether or not he's taken that role on the team. Coakley was named a defensive captain, wasn't he?

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    You don't have to always be Brett Farve-esque to show leadership.
    No. But you do have to let go of the apron strings. OK. So maybe it isn't his fault that he's been tightly controlled under M&M.

Maybe a little facial hair? Some arms that don't look like wristbands? A scowl even?

{Whistle} That's unnecessary roughness on No. 2. He's penalized 15 posts. Repeat TX's down.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

LOL adarian you crack me up. I see the penalty flags are flying in.

Nope Bulger is not the leader that some of you are looking for. He has done a fine job of following Martz's direction, he has been a good solider, he can stand in the pocket and take hits...many hits....without complaint or emotion. We can't be asking him to become an emotional leader for this team with his training and background.

Does anyone know if Bulger has ever been allowed to make some of his own calls when he played in college? I wonder if he even is capable of thinking on his feet.

Now I am looking to Faulk, Holt and Bruce for leadership on the offense, and I pray they are not all cheerleading from the sidelines. That would suck.

I think the defense has many players that may be stepping it up another notch and adding some intensity.
    ..... Pisa, Tyoka, Furrey, Coakley, Claiborne....all possibilities.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

It takes teamwork.

Everyone needs to be on the same page.

One guy can't do it all anyways. It's a myth. Can't be standing around looking for a leader.

QBs are over-rated. The O's success is predicated by the line.

The D needs to hold the running game in check and get pressure on the opposing QB. The entire front seven is the key.

BoomGoesTheDynamite! Guest

Claiborn or Coakley...(have not stepped up to the challenge - maybe that is why we got them cheap??)
    Uh....yeah.

What people don't get is that this team hasn't been that good the past couple of years. But playing in the weak west and having Seattle's number has allowed fans to be deluded into thinking that they might be ok. All the evidence that you need is the playoff game against the Falcons last year. That is what this Ram team is.

AJD45 Guest

Puh-lease gents, if you want to rip on Bulger, fine, but leave any comparisons to the most overrated QB ever out of it. I will take Bulger's leadership any day over Joke Montana.

caseycane Guest

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69
    People tend to think a loudmouth cheerleader is also the leader of the team.Not always true. But I have never seen Bulger try to fire up anybody. That does tend to bother me! Even greg brady gets in his players grills!:tongue:

My grandfather always told me that you lead by example, and I've always taken this to heart. Bulger, IMO, has shown his leadership qualities each and every game. Every time he gets driven to the turf (which is way too often,) he gets right back up and gets to the huddle. He doesn't complain during the post-game interviews about playcalling, he just takes his lumps and keeps trying his best to help the team win. If that isn't leadership, I'm not sure what is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast